Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 to ls2,wondering if could answer some questions I had?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023 | 04:36 PM
Teching In

Default Ls1 to ls2,wondering if could answer some questions I had?

So I got an ls2 for my 1998 catfish , it’s a complete engine, I know I need the harness extension’s for the knock sensors and cam position sensors but I wanna know what else I need, Which timing cover do I use?
Any input would be hopefully, thank you
Old 02-03-2023 | 05:30 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

You'll need the Gen IV cover with the cam sensor in it.
Old 02-04-2023 | 12:52 PM
Needs to finish car

Like you mentioned, you'll need the cam sensor extension harness, but the time cover and sensor that's on there should be fine. That's a GTO LS2, so you don't have to worry about any of the 58x/4x reluctor stuff, since GTOs were all 24x. The knock sensors are different on all gen 4s, so it's probably best to retap the knock sensor holes and use gen 3 sensors, but on the sides of the block rather than the valley. You'll also need a MAP sensor extension, unless you use a different intake manifold. The electronic throttle will need to be replaced with a cable drive one, also.

It probably would be easiest to use the accessory drive off the LS1, although the belts are at the same depth, so the water pump and crank pulley are fine as they are. The oil pan will have to be swapped from the LS1, as well. If I'm not mistaken, the coolant temp sensor is specific to the 98 model f body and has a separate wire for the cluster, so you'll need to use a 98 coolant temp sensor.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, but it shouldn't be a bad swap because that LS2 isn't too far removed from the LS1.
The following users liked this post:
Cruz02 (02-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Ls1 to ls2,wondering if could answer some questions I had?