Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge sender location options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure gauge sender location options?

I am getting ready to start installing Speedhhut gauges in my '69 Firebird street/track car. It currently has an LS3 with a Racepak IQ3 dash that takes readings from the OBDII port coming from the Speartech ECU that Texas Speed sends with the motor. I currently have the port at the back of the manifold hoked to the ECU wire harness and the driver's front port is feeding my Accusump. I have an Improved Racing thermostat plumbed into the location above the oil filter where I plan to put the sender for my new oil temp gauge. Does my ECU even need the oil pressure info if I am not going to run a gauge off of it? Can this sender/wire be removed and then install an adapter and gauge sending unit for the new gauge?
Old 05-15-2024, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Why don't you just read the factory oil pressure sensor off the OBDII and display it on your dash? Or are you set on having a separate gauge?

You could also use a simple fitting like this, maybe between the oil line and your oil cooler, to add the sensor: https://www.improvedracing.com/an-ma...or-port-a.html

If you locate the sensor after the cooler, pressure will be similar to the sensor behind the intake manifold. If you locate the sensor before the cooler, you will see slightly higher pressure as there is a small pressure drop across the cooler once the thermostat is active.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 05-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am switching over from the IQ3 digital dash to Speedhut retro-looking gauges. Speartech said I would be ok to pull the harness oil pressure and use that location...since I'm not using factory gauges and the ECU doesn't need oil pressure readings

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge sender location options?