Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the MSD coil packs any better than the factory LS1? Worth buying for L92 build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the smallest...LS2? Truck?...I don't care for my camaro, they're staying right where they are...my other LS1 build I'd like to hide them though.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late model trucks are small cylinder shaped. Look completely different.

Here is something no one told you.

If you switch to the late model coil packs you have to use their bracket which hangs lower and makes it harder to get to the spark plugs ect. There are fitment issues. I have been through it.

That is why I got MSD coils. They plug into all the stock stuff that is supposed to be on my motor and they are better. I can get to the plugs w/o taking off the coil packs.

hmmmm looks like MSD isn't a total loss.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree here. I'm running MSD and the fitment is great. plus I think it helps some. multi spark vs single .....
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Late model trucks are small cylinder shaped. Look completely different.

Here is something no one told you.

If you switch to the late model coil packs you have to use their bracket which hangs lower and makes it harder to get to the spark plugs ect. There are fitment issues. I have been through it.

That is why I got MSD coils. They plug into all the stock stuff that is supposed to be on my motor and they are better. I can get to the plugs w/o taking off the coil packs.

hmmmm looks like MSD isn't a total loss.

umm, and you gained.... what?

nothing?

yet they cost money.

so.... what about this isnt a total loss?? the "props" you'll get from an uninformed stranger at a car cruise?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you have to run the truck bracket with the truck coils if you're hiding the coils somewhere else? I'm planning to make my own bracket and run some cut to fit plug wires from the coils to the plugs...and even hide the wires as best I can on their way from the coils to the plugs.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

I had an MSD coil fail on the dyno. Dropped 70+rwhp straight down right in the middle of a run (blower car). I suspected the coils as it was an odd problem and cars have come in with the MSD coils shorted out and their innards leaking all over the engine in the past.

Swapping the stock coils brought back 60hp but the damage was allready done as the block was cracked and coolant was pouring out the exhaust.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Why would you have to run the truck bracket with the truck coils if you're hiding the coils somewhere else? I'm planning to make my own bracket and run some cut to fit plug wires from the coils to the plugs...and even hide the wires as best I can on their way from the coils to the plugs.
Correct. Coil relocation would solve this problem. Sounds like you got a cool little project going on.

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
umm, and you gained.... what?

nothing?

yet they cost money.

so.... what about this isnt a total loss?? the "props" you'll get from an uninformed stranger at a car cruise?
Well, someone is jealous. I got them free. When do make a demo car you get that.
I will reverb for you since you didn't get it.
Zero fitment issues.
Don't have to relocate since some people might consider a Magnacharger.
Maintain ease of reaching header bolts and spark plugs at the track. Using parts that fit makes you feel good.

Thank you for the rant.
Go back to programming your BASIC stamp.

Besides, some of us work hard and have money because of it. [from programming real embedded systems in C] Feel free to keep laughing. It is just a display of your desperate situation.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

i changed all my plugs without moveing the coils or anything

and i'm not a small guy, tho i did need a small guy's help on the rear passenger coil

mr dude said it best, props at a car show lol that was hilarious
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I understand my HP Tuner software correctly, you can lengthen the spark duration, so many milliseconds while using the stock coils. This might give you the same advantage as the multiple spark of the MSD coils. Correct me if I am wrong, in HP Tuner it is under: Engine | Spark Control | Spark Dwell | Base Dwell Time

Last edited by Gregory; 08-30-2007 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gregory
If I understand my HP Tuner software correctly, you can lengthen the spark duration, so many milliseconds while using the stock coils. This might give you the same advantage as the multiple spark of the MSD coils. Correct me if I am wrong, in HP Tuner it is under: Engine | Spark Control | Spark Dwell | Base Dwell Time

That would be correct. Just hard sometimes to find a tuner that knows what to do with all those cool little tuning gadgets.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, someone is jealous. I got them free. When do make a demo car you get that.
ok, so you got them for free. that is irrelevant.
the questions are: are they any better? and are they worth buying?

its great that you got them for free. if someone gave them to me for free, id take them too.... only id sell them, as they are much less reliable then the OEM ones, and i gain nothing from them.

I will reverb for you since you didn't get it.
and i'll counterpoint since you dont seem to get it either.

Zero fitment issues.
obviously, the OEM ones also have zero fitment issues.

Don't have to relocate since some people might consider a Magnacharger.
dont have to relocate the OEM ones either... and they work great with a magnacharger... or even better with a real supercharger that doesnt choke out when you start making real power. LOL. (im not a fan of the baby maggie either, but thats another topic)

Maintain ease of reaching header bolts and spark plugs at the track. Using parts that fit makes you feel good.
just like the OEM coils.

honestly, they're the exact same shape. they're just red.
the only thing you've said is how they fit good... and they fit good.. and something about an unrelated blower, they fit good.

of course they fit good... they're the same shape.
the OEM coils fit good too.
the truck coils, with the proper bracket for them, fit good too.

i fail to see any point.

now heres mine:
MSD, like almost all aftermarket part companies, have limitations on the testing they can do. they are simply not as reliable as the stockers... seriously, read this: https://www.thunderracing.com/users/...race_parts.pdf and think about it. you know embedded electronics... so you know im probably right.... plus theres the product history as shown by people online.
so.... they arnt as reliable.. big deal.

then, theres the gain... no one has shown any performance gain with them that cannot be replicated by changing the dwell time in the PCM.... and not just on stock or street motors.. im talking about high boost cars too.
this is one of the reasons other car people (from boosted imports to fords and mopars) take our OEM coils and adapt them to their cars.

and third..
while you may be cool enough to get them for free... the rest of us have to pay good money for them.. and they are NOT cheap.

so you have a product thats the same shape as OEM, not as reliable, gives no performance gain, and costs more.

the only place i ever see them used is on show motors... take the new warhawk motor for example.. it has them.
now look at the race cars that run those motors... they dont.

they are a showoff, bling item.. a "look what i got" item...
to me, they represent the same level of bling as a chrome waterhose "-AN look" cover .... they're for people who want to look the part... without really knowing alot about it.

Thank you for the rant.
Go back to programming your BASIC stamp.
i outgrew the BASIC stamp back in highschool... i still use them occasionally, but mostly its PICs now.... well by now i mean,if i ever go back to them... right now, im into the local mini-motard series, and between that and everything else, i dont have time for electronics right now.

Besides, some of us work hard and have money because of it. [from programming real embedded systems in C] Feel free to keep laughing. It is just a display of your desperate situation.
i dont know if you realise this, but im actually a programmer for a living... i do all my PIC work in C.... and all of my desktop and handheld work in visual C++(both legacy and .NET), C#, VB, J++.... plus the usual crap that comes with it.. scripting, HTML.. blah-blah-blah...
considering both my age, id say i make great money... but by the time you throw a house, bills, other toys etc at it... well, i still budget my car enough that i'll notice if i spent $500 on coils. i guess im not a baller like you.

as for my "desperate situation".... you lost me there?

in anycase, theres no reason to take it personally.. i call everything as i see it... and if i see it as a worthless waste of money that stems from the ignorance of the user.... then thats what im going to say.
you can feel free to explain your point of view and change my opinion..... but really, you dont seem to have any grasp of any way that they are "better"... you've shown zero examples.. zero concepts... nothing.

so, how are they better?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

take it easy boys-its only coil packs-

simple-if someone wants to give a set for free -please do so-

if they work good-dont bother changing

all jokes aside-if i am chasing power and these dont provide any more hp- why would i want to change???

simple-don't

-spend money on something that willl give u more power or safety-
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

i wouldnt run those
Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Take it easy guys. Keep it on track. The question was "are the MSD coils worth swapping"?

You need to take in the information provided. YOU make the decision.

Oh by the way. We took another set off a 2002 Camaro that was built for NHRA Stock class. The stock coils gained almost 40rwhp over the MSD coils.

Your choice.

David
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

i have heard of some of the msd coils dropping out.on the other hand i had a high rpm miss and i replaced them all with factory stock.still had the miss.replaced them with the msd and the miss was gone.go figgure.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

MSD coils SUCK!!! I am so pissed right now. I just found out 2 went out on me. This is the second time!!! Within 10k miles I have lost 4 of 8 coils!!! They will be getting a call tomorrow. This is insanity for $700 equipment
Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow. This thread made MSD coils it's bitch.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Teching In

MSD coil pack suck i had mine for about three month then they started to crack . So i bought the 6.0L truck coils cause they produce a better spark than the stock coils
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

...But... They're red! Red stuff is always cool!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys...they can keep em!!!

Quick Reply: Are the MSD coil packs any better than the factory LS1? Worth buying for L92 build?