Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4's Weaknesses

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ4's Weaknesses

I'm interested in what the weaknesses are for the LQ4s. I am building an 03 twin turbo LQ4 for my Z32 and I'm wondering if I should replace anything. I am putting in ARP Main Studs, ARP Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, A.R.E. 4-Stage Dry Sump System, and an LS2 intake manifold/throttle body. I only plan to run 7-10 p.s.i. so I don't think I'll have any problems but I figured I should ask since the motor will be out for a while longer. Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pistons are the weak link there but it depends on budget and what you end goal is.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Not quite sure on the budget yet or the end goal, I'm just looking at what horsepower/torque/p.s.i the stock parts start to fail at.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

well ive seen stock stuff break at 5 psi and ive seen stock stuff hold 600rwhp ask me how i know lol...As for how long it all depends on how long you expect it to last, how you drive it with the tune your car has, and how your budget is. Either way i would definitely be prepared to save money for pistons and rods OR better yet do pistons and rods from the get go so you get it out of the way and dont have to tear everything down later with the possibility or hurting the block (i cracked my LS1 sleeve and block when i melted #7 piston).. On a reallll tight budget the bare minimum you should do is go for good quality forged low compression pistons, arp studs everywhere, and just a badass good tune. That should be okay with 8-10psi for a good time with no worries, but again the tune is important if you have everything else like fuel bla bla bla... hope this helps.. later
Old 09-11-2007, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Word on the rods and pistons, that is exactly what I decided. ARP Studs Everywhere, Diamond Pistons (the ones designed for boost), Scat H-Beam Rods and the Stock Crank. I'm planning on Synergy in The Bay Area to do my tune, I've heard good things about them.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pistons are the weak link.... Change them, then you will be fine.... Stock rods are good for 500hp, safely.. If more hp is needed swap rods out.... Yes, ARP Everything ...Good Luck

Quick Reply: LQ4's Weaknesses