Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor battery charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default poor battery charge

I tried this in the electronic section but I haven't received any responses. Maybe someone here has an idea.
----------------------------------------------------

I moved the battery to the trunk and everthing is working, but I'm not getting as strong a recharge as I'd like. Here's the set-up:

1/0 gauge cable from the battery to the starter, then a 6 gauge cable to a battery junction. Then there's a 10 gauge cable from the alternator (160 amp) running all the way to the battery.

The battery charges but I'm only getting about 11.5V when it used to be 13V, and with the lights on it drops to under 11V. I just want to get a stronger charge again. I now realize the 10 gauge was a bad chioce and I'll probably replace it with a 6 gauge cable, but I'd like to try a quick fix in the meantime.

Would it be a bad idea to take a 6-8 gauge cable and run it from the alternator to the battery junction, or directly to the starter? This way it would use the 1/0 gauge cable to recharge the battery. Would the starter pulling from the alternator kill it?
Old 09-20-2007 | 09:03 PM
Launching!

1-Try charging with the battery diconnected from the car and see if its the battery. 2-Check your ground strap and connections. Try mounting a second ground strap from the block to the frame.
Originally Posted by a10beav
I tried this in the electronic section but I haven't received any responses. Maybe someone here has an idea.
----------------------------------------------------

I moved the battery to the trunk and everthing is working, but I'm not getting as strong a recharge as I'd like. Here's the set-up:

1/0 gauge cable from the battery to the starter, then a 6 gauge cable to a battery junction. Then there's a 10 gauge cable from the alternator (160 amp) running all the way to the battery.

The battery charges but I'm only getting about 11.5V when it used to be 13V, and with the lights on it drops to under 11V. I just want to get a stronger charge again. I now realize the 10 gauge was a bad chioce and I'll probably replace it with a 6 gauge cable, but I'd like to try a quick fix in the meantime.

Would it be a bad idea to take a 6-8 gauge cable and run it from the alternator to the battery junction, or directly to the starter? This way it would use the 1/0 gauge cable to recharge the battery. Would the starter pulling from the alternator kill it?
Old 09-21-2007 | 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jtl12419
1-Try charging with the battery diconnected from the car and see if its the battery. 2-Check your ground strap and connections. Try mounting a second ground strap from the block to the frame.
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-21-2007 | 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

I just did this recently.The 10 gauge wire for exciting your alternator is too small, need at least an 8 guage.Also like the post above says.......add another ground cable from your motor to your car frame, or your batterey to your car frame.This should help alot.Traver

Quick Reply: poor battery charge