Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question... how restrictive are the stock 2.5 inch pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question... how restrictive are the stock 2.5 inch pipes?

I recently had heads,cam, headers installed.
I ask because i removed my stock mufflers and put in race bullets. I havent removed the resonator yet, however. Was planning on replacing it with an H-pipe. However, if the stock pipes (2.5 inches) are choking it, then i should go for a 3 inch full catback, correct?
Old 05-21-2008 | 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

nobody?
Old 05-22-2008 | 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have a CTSV with CAI, heads, cam, fast 92/92 and kooks headers. This was put on the car with the stock catback. It held me back about 30 horsepower. It wasn't the 2 1/2 tubing, but the lack of good scavenging and no flow through mufflers. I haded a magnaflow catback with xpipe and the flow through mufflers and got the 30 rwhp back. The more engine mods you have, the more the stock stuff will hold you back. It was a good learning lesson for me.
Old 05-23-2008 | 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ever tried to breathe through a coffer stir? Yeah, well they aren't anywhere near that restrictive lol. They should be pretty damn good, the stock F-Body exhaust is what is restrictive, you have it easy man. A friend of mine cut out the resonator and put in a custom made h-pipe and its working well so far. He wanted louder so he also added dual 2.5 cutouts right after the h pipe section. Sounds pretty damn mean even with stock mannys on it.
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

true. thanks.
i was curious as to whether most people were upping there exhaust to true dual 3 inch pipes on the GTO's when they did head\cam\headers etc.
I do think, however, that i need to replace one of the stock pipes. IT is all crumpled up and **** by the axle. It looks like a straw someone chewed on. WTF was pontiac doing when they did that?
Old 05-29-2008 | 08:36 AM
Banned

Exclamation their hearts in their mouths

edited for spam

Last edited by badjuju342; 05-29-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loveumaryii
Wise man have their mouths in their hearts, fools have their hearts in their mouths.-------------------------Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional Cheap WoW Gold! Powerlevel wow gold now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

oh you *******. YOu pick my thread to **** on?

Quick Reply: Exhaust question... how restrictive are the stock 2.5 inch pipes?