Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive oil consumption LS3 427 stroker??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same trouble, 2 quarts of oil disappeared in less than 200 miles... None in catch can and can is not tied to the intake... So where is it going? Seems as thou the crank seal is dripping... Could the lack of PCV be causing oil to push out the crank seal a past the rings just not enough to notice?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

the oil is being vaporized in the engine thru the inatke and u should see black soot in ur tailpipes and on the ground below ur tailpipes.

I bet it has something to do with your heads. My brand new 331 stroker used a quart every 500 miles and there was black soot on the floor around the tailpipes. when we pulled the heads they had alot of oil residue. heads were brand new TFS TW 205's.

we traced the problem to incorrect instructions from TFS on installing the heads and using the proper head bolt thread sealer. using that much oil there is something definetely wrong with ur motor.

Last edited by 331billet; 06-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

There is black soot in the exhaust, but I'm a little confused as how to the oil is getting into the intake? It has a catch can. If I were burnig that much oil wouldn't it be smoking?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Have you checked to see if theres piston rock?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

I've heard from a few people that the bigger cube strokers have that problem not sure if thats it getting between the rings that way? Are you noticing any detination?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

No detonation, did a cylinder leak test with 3-10 percent across the board compression test with 190-210 across the board... I don't think there is piston rock, the engine sounds smoothe when cranking and no piston slap is noticeable
Old 06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

What intake are you running?
What intake manifold?
Do you have a catch can? If is it closed or does it have a breather?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Teching In

pull the intake and VC's and look for excess oil residue in the intake and on the heads. if excess oil is on the heads, pull them and look for where the oil is being pulled to.

I guarantee u the oil is being vaporized in the intake and burned, and it cannot be seen.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

It has a vented catch can, and there is no oil in the intake as u have already looked. To my knowledge you cant get oil in the intake if there is no PCV system... The valley and both vc are vented to the catch can
Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been through this on a 427 I found out the rings where not gap correctly plus they where in the wrong position. The combust ring gaps where on top of each other, Super heated one side of the oil ring causin it to flatten out. Had to do a light hone done and new rings fix the issue.

Not saying this is wrong with yours. But a thought.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 331billet
pull the intake and VC's and look for excess oil residue in the intake and on the heads. if excess oil is on the heads, pull them and look for where the oil is being pulled to.

I guarantee u the oil is being vaporized in the intake and burned, and it cannot be seen.
+1 thats what i would think. to OP, just wondering, how often do you check your catch can and how much oil do you drain from it?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd take a look at the spark plugs, they'll tell you if your burning excessive amounts of oil. IMO, your engine needs the vacuum created by connecting the PCV to the intake, otherwise the excessive crank pressure will find another way out through seal, gaskets, or rings. Usually running 2 catch-cans inline before the intake vacuum inlet will eliminate any oil in the intake;at least it does for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issue on a new 404 stroker as Outlawz Racing. Ran ever fricking vacuum hose and breather setup I found on forums and worked many suggestions with both Vengeance and Cartek. Thanks to each for the time working with me to resolve issue on an engine they didn't build. In the end, oil was going past the rings on one of the cylinders. I was also told to use 20/50 from the builder. You'll get a lot of opinions on that, but there are a lot of vendors that don't use this wt, even on a stroker, unless tracking a car.

A suggestion: Wash up car and then go out and do some accells, WOT, with engine decells to brake the engine vice using brakes. After a few of these, go back to your rear panel/fascia and run your finger along it to see if you detect any slippery oil. If you do, you will probably have to do a rering. BTW, my engine passed leak down, compression, and only blew smoke on one situation after 3200 miles. Noticed light, very light oil film on the rear of the car and wrote it off as some road gunk, till it happened 3 different times. Even checked underneath for bad main seals, but no dice.

I agree, it's best to find the root cause now to ensure you don't cause any additional damage. Wish you all the luck brah, I know the feeling after you get a new engine and it starts using oil.

Mike C sends
Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

I have tried everything and I can't figure it out... The engine used 2 quarts in 200 miles, I changed the oil, 5.5 quarts. Drove about 100 easy commute miles and rechecked, good same level... Took the car to the track, made about 10 passes
over a 2 day period and was maybe 1/8-1/4 quart low.
That's when I killed the trans, so it's out for rebuild and I'm
going to install a gz pro pump when I get the trans straightened out, worst case scenario I paid a grand for 10-15hp... Still not bad bang for the buck... Thanks for the help men

Quick Reply: excessive oil consumption LS3 427 stroker??