Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Problems with 402cid Cam positioning sensor "CPS" harness , not reading RPMS !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first pic is the Katech harness and the second pic is the lower connector on the front cover. If so, you're testing the wrong connectors. You need to completely disconnect and remove the Katech harness and test the OEM/original connector located by the firewall.

Here is a crude diagram that should help pinpoint the issue.
ok thanks again , but i just took them pictures i did unplug the katech harness and diagnose the oem cam sensor connector ..
thanks

i unpluged the socket from the front part of the pcm , the red socket and then try to go where where the pin in socket 39 would be and then trace it to the red wire on the CPS plug in aand see what im getting on the meter and see if it beeps for condinuty ?????? would this work ?

if im not getting anything from the red wire off 39 then it sounds like im going to have to somehow splice a new red wire in there somehow for my 12v

Last edited by BadLtBlu99TA; 06-23-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
10 Second Club

I unplugged the socket from the front part of the pcm , the red socket and then try to go where where the pin in socket 39 would be and then trace it to the red wire on the CPS plug in aand see what im getting on the meter and see if it beeps for condinuty ?????? would this work ?
I thought you did check and confirm voltage at the PCM itself? If not, The red socket must be connected to the PCM to check for voltage at the red wire. Turn the ignition ON and the red socket bolted in place-gently prod the positive end the of the digital multi meter (connect the negative to a solid ground) where the red wire connects to the red socket. This should indicate a reading on the display.

if im not getting anything from the red wire off 39 then it sounds like im going to have to somehow splice a new red wire in there somehow for my 12v
I wouldn't do that. Some other things to double check:

* Is the cam sensor in good condition? It should never come in contact with the cam gear itself. Post a pic if possible.
* Make sure the red socket has a solid connection to the PCM itself.
* Please list all of the DTC's that are set.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

This...

Originally Posted by BadLtBlu99TA
The other thing is when i had my LS1 in the car it worked , but hasn't worked with my LS2 364cid or my 402cid engine either ..
and this...

i checked all the wire and im not getting 12v to the CPS but I have 12v at the pcm at connector 39, but not at the sensor.
Still points the wiring in between the PCM and connector itself. You may have to trace the red wire from PIN # 39 on the red PCM socket all the way to factory connector and look for a burnt wire.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

This...

and this...

Still points the wiring in between the PCM and connector itself. You may have to trace the red wire from PIN # 39 on the red PCM socket all the way to factory connector and look for a burnt wire.
Can somone tell me for sure if pin # 39 is for sure the 12volts for the cam sensor for sure ? cause i can confirm for sure that i am not getting power from the pin 39 to the end of where the harness would plug in .. so what are my options here now ?? what can i do ? what cant i do ?

Can i splice a new red wire at the PCM and tie it to the cam sensor harness or what should i do here ? cause i cannot get any voltage ..

No im not showing any voltage , but what would make the RPM and the MPH gagues both go all the way up when the car is first started and then the RPM drop down to zero and stay there ? would that just be the signal wire from the Cam position sensor ? the brown wire or what ??

First off i really dont want to splice a new wire in here thats why i wanna confirm that pin #39 is for sure where the red wire is on the pcm ?, but i cant trace the Red wire all the way cause its in the black factory coating and the engines installed and really i dont feel like uninstalling everything for a cam positioning wire ..

I might sound like a dumb *** when it come to all this but i have no clue at all about any of this , im not a wiring man what so ever thats why i perfer not to do this ..... but somthign heres gotta give , i've tryed to cam sensors and neither one worked , theres a tan colored cam sensor and a black colored cam sensor ..

Last edited by BadLtBlu99TA; 06-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

PIN # 39 on the red PCM connector for a 99 TA is the correct wire. Are you sure you're reading the PIN layout correctly?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm telling you that you need to check for a bad ground somewhere just by you telling me what your gauges are doing. Did you check all your grounds?? Traver
Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

PIN # 39 on the red PCM connector for a 99 TA is the correct wire. Are you sure you're reading the PIN layout correctly?
What is the Pin layout ? how could i find it on here ?? cause im not understanding how i dont get 12V to the red wire on the PCM harness for the cam positioning sensor it just dont make sense since it worked on my stock ls1 and now it dont work on this engine ...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Here's the PIN layout...
Attached Files
File Type: doc
99 TA PCM PIN Layout RED.doc (84.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

..and here is the wire/circuit number. Some PIN's are not used, so nothing is listed.
Attached Files
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks again man !!! im going to try and figure this out soon i've just been working long hours then comming home getting all mixed up on this and its not mixing so i'll probally check it out this weekend
Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

..and here is the wire/circuit number. Some PIN's are not used, so nothing is listed.

IF i had to it would be nice to be able to switch the 12V wire out directly in the PCM with the Pin and connect it to the harness also too .. i have a haynes book for this car , but it dont help too much on the wireing harness for the cam sensor cause i already know where the wires are going ..
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

OK were going to end this post ... I figured it all out everyone !!, and thanks again for all your help with this .. one last question is how useful are the knock sensors with the 402 ?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BadLtBlu99TA
OK were going to end this post ... I figured it all out everyone !!, and thanks again for all your help with this .. one last question is how useful are the knock sensors with the 402 ?

Wohoo! You should post how you fixed the problem in case someone else runs across the same issue and does a search and comes across this thread.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Arrow

Wohoo! You should post how you fixed the problem in case someone else runs across the same issue and does a search and comes across this thread.

yeah i think i will have to .. but only thing i gotta do now is figure out how im going to run my knock sensors since the harness for that is up aginst the firewall .
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Teching In

What was the problem in the end?

I'm having a similar issue at the moment with a P0343 DTC that I can't figure out. Cam bolts are tight, cam sensor replaced, wiring checked out ok. I'm running out of ideas!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you clearing the code after you swapped wires on the sensor? the code must be cleared for the rpms to register. ifigured this out the hard way!

Quick Reply: Help Problems with 402cid Cam positioning sensor "CPS" harness , not reading RPMS !!