Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using a breather oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using a breather oil cap?

i did the catch can and the fresh air tube from the CAI to the valve cover. oil is shooting up into the aie bridge. my tuner said to cap the intake and use a breather oil cap and ditch the fresh air tube to the valve cover...anyone do that?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yip. I ditched the PCV system for a breather. Gets rid of wires, makes the bay look cleaner, and no oil in the intake.

Only downside is that you lose like 1-2hp because the PCV sucks air out of the crankcase, so the rotating assembly doesn't have to work against as much air.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

you mean if you put a breather in you can delete your pcv system? explain
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

is there any link to this swap or do you just remove all the PCV system, cap the intake and put a breather on?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i waas told to cap the intake. get a catchcan with a breather on it and have that go to teh LS3 style PCV port out of the valley and then T a line to the valve cover
Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

any pics of all this?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chadnol10
any pics of all this?
i havent done it yet
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chadnol10
you mean if you put a breather in you can delete your pcv system? explain
I bought a $5 breather from o'rielley's and put it on where one of the pcv hoses goes into the valve cover. Then I ran a hose to connect the 2 valve covers and siliconed close all other hoses/ports going from the valve covers, TB, and intake.

FWI I also don't have the EVAP system.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been thinking about this for a while....

Take the following two pictures...

The first picture has the PCV valve coming out the intake

The second picture has the PCV valve coming out of the valley cover to the top of the can...

The first picture has the restriction of the PCV valve being close (blowing from the nipple side/sucking from the non-nipple side) coming out of the catch can into the intake.

The second picture doesn't have that restriction (sucking from the nipple side/blowing from the flat side) into the catch can and straight into the intake.

Which one is the right way? lol. BTW, these are pictures from Mikenorrismotorsports.com and their catch-can setup that I'm going to be purchasing.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails anyone using a breather oil cap?-dsc00900.jpg   anyone using a breather oil cap?-dsc01027.jpg  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are both the same. the way I have it now. but on the dyno, you should have seen the oil i was eating.....retarded
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i ditched the pvc and put a breather on both valve covers
Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
they are both the same. the way I have it now. but on the dyno, you should have seen the oil i was eating.....retarded
Um, those are not the same AT ALL. Look at it again.

One, the PCV valve is backwards, and the other it is the right way. But which one is the right way? You probably have yours backwards and thats why you were eating so much oil haha.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Haans249
Um, those are not the same AT ALL. Look at it again.

One, the PCV valve is backwards, and the other it is the right way. But which one is the right way? You probably have yours backwards and thats why you were eating so much oil haha.
the top line in both pics are going TO the valley, both lines on bottom are going TO the intake
Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
the top line in both pics are going TO the valley, both lines on bottom are going TO the intake
Dude... look at the PCV valve, and re-read my first post. Its quite obvious that the lines are going the same way, but what is different is the location of the VALVE itself, and the direction with which it is being run. One way is the wrong way, the other is the right way, I believe the first pic has it right, and the second pic has it backwards.

Last edited by Haans249; 07-29-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about this for a while....

Take the following two pictures...

The first picture has the PCV valve coming out the intake

The second picture has the PCV valve coming out of the valley cover to the top of the can...

The first picture has the restriction of the PCV valve being close (blowing from the nipple side/sucking from the non-nipple side) coming out of the catch can into the intake.

The second picture doesn't have that restriction (sucking from the nipple side/blowing from the flat side) into the catch can and straight into the intake.

Which one is the right way? lol. BTW, these are pictures from Mikenorrismotorsports.com and their catch-can setup that I'm going to be purchasing.

Thanks
The pics to me shows it will just suck the oil back in the intake. I see the line from the valley cover, thats is on top ,then the line that is on the intake that is on the bottom. When the oil drips hell it will get suck back in the intake if its baffeld or not. If you use a vacum source it should be higher then drip lines,so all its sucking is vapors. I would just run a baffeld catch can with a breather, That will keep oil out the intake better.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html

The way it is designed, i don't think it'll suck up any oil vapors, it has a filter inside and everything, looks like a super quality piece.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

HAHHAHA . Dude... look at the PCV valve, and re-read my first post. Its quite obvious that the lines are going the same way, but what is different is the location of the VALVE itself, and the direction with which it is being run. One way is the wrong way, the other is the right way, I believe the first pic has it right, and the second pic has it backwards.
ah, you dont need that **** either.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html

The way it is designed, i don't think it'll suck up any oil vapors, it has a filter inside and everything, looks like a super quality piece.
that is the can i have...with filters inside....it sucks oil. I am going for a breather one
Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

So you're saying that you're not running the PCV valve? Ever thought about putting it back on and seeing how much oil you then use? If you have this catch can, I don't see how you could be sucking up oil through it. It is baffled AND has filters.

Post a picture of what you're running right now, I'm curious....whether I want to run a catch can now.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Are there any oil breather caps that go right into the valve cover, as opposed to sticking out through the FRC?

Quick Reply: anyone using a breather oil cap?