Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 LMG 5.3 truck motor: How much power is it going to make?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump

Originally Posted by 69Project
Just read a magazine article (either Chev Hi Performance or Hot Rod, can't remember)on a 5.3, changed the heads and cam and made over 400+ hp. They then put a maggie on it and got about 550....So yes they make power and will rev pretty high. It was a stock block and internals.
Hopefully picking up a burb with the lmg this weekend. Anyone else try building one? I'm looking to get similar numbers out of it.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Hey jf man let know what work for that thing i bought the same thing and I'm kicking around a 250 shot
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

the LMG 5.3 is a 310bhp DoD engine with flex-fuel capability. You will want to delete the DoD system before you install it unless you have a means of controlling it. (which you wont if its going into an older Fbody) You'll basically need a valley cover and lifters, maybe one or two more parts to get rid of the system. The 799 heads are cathedral port truck versions of the 243 castings. the flow numbers are identical. The intake that will come on that engine will actually work really well if you have room for it. It has an 87mm opening (which can easily be enlarged) and the intake itself will give better response through the mid and low range and carry the RPM and power better up top where the car intake lacks. The most sure way to tell what reluctor is in the engine without pulling the pan is to see what PCM it is being ran with. If its an 0411 PCM, it'll be 24x and the E38's run the 58x engines, One of the Lingenfelter conversion boxes can take care of this, the cam sensor location and signal and they also have a knock sensor extension harness that will allow you to relocate your sensors to the side of thew block (you'll need to drill/tap the holes for your sensors.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Put this in the Gen III forum. The 5.3 truck motors are still Gen III motors.
Or better yet, go over to the truck site and post there.
Hmmm. OK. I thought the GEN IV motors all had 4" or larger bore or had the newer style heads. I still think it belongs in the GEN III area since I see a lot more 5.3 information there.
And besides, you asked if it would make as much power as an LS1.
OK, does this 5.3L motor have the newer heads like the L92? I thought I heard at one point that GM was thinking about making a small bore L92 style head.
If it has cathedral port heads, then the LS3 intake manifold will not work.
Likewise, if it has the L92 style heads, the LS2 manifold will not work.
Do you plan to do anything other than the car intake and longtubes?
If not, you will probably not see as much power as an LS1 because of the 5.3's smaller bore, smaller intake vlave, and smaller cam.
Hmmmmm. You might get real close to what the LS1 was rated at which was 305-325. I think the newer 5.3 motors are rated at 300 also. You might get between 300 and 320 or so at the wheels with a good tune.
Are you stuck on getting a GM intake manifold; or can you swing an aftermarket one? If the motor turns out to have cathedral port heads, the BBK intake is not too expensive, can be slightly ported and polished, and has an 85mm TB opening.
OK so you will be able to look at the heads and know what is up. I really think they are going to be the cathedral port heads, so at least you will have a few intakes to choose form.
For someone who's been around since 01' I figured you'd be better informed than you are... and the BBK intakes are garbage. He'd be better served by the truck manifold that will come on it. Bigger throttle opening, plenum, better runners etc... The engine is no doubt a GEN IV. NO 5.3 built has come from the factory wih square port heads. There's no reason at all why he couldnt make just as much or more power than a 10yr old LS1... the bore is a little smaller but thats about the only disadvantage it is at, the better heads and intake will make up for that and then some IMO.

If I were you I'd go back to the GEN III section and read some of that info you say there's so much of.

Originally Posted by jfman
Good info guyz!

BTW VVVVVVVVV

ALSO: I have a 98 f-body ls1 intake manifold already. Will that work? And more importantly, can I use a Drive by Wire throttle body on it?
Keep the truck manifold (have I said that yet? LOL) You can get any throttle body you need for it.... cable or DBW, any size

Quick Reply: '07 LMG 5.3 truck motor: How much power is it going to make?