Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

safe limit hydraulic roller rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

I was thinking to going to a carb style intake as well, it's good that you're saying you don't think you're losing any down low.I have a ported stock intake on there now and my motor seems to keep pulling past 6500. It ET's better the higher I shift it. I have shifted it as high as 6600 and I will try up to 6800 this thurs at a track rental.
With the stock intake I was expecting it to drop off in the higher rpms but the track ET is telling me different.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
I was thinking that but its hydraulic roller I was afraid of damaging the lifter ? have you ever ran that much seat on a hydraulic ?
hey 3timeracin, talk to chase knight at Crane, i just got there cnc steel billet lifters and he said he doesnt care what kinda pressure u throw at the lifters, Chase knight was tellin me that the navy seal attack boats run a big block with his lifters (crane CNC billet) and they have the seat pressure at like 280, and almost 600 open pressure.. Very good lifter!!

Last edited by n20kid; 10-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n20kid
hey 3timeracin, talk to chase knight at Crane, i just got there cnc steel billet lifters and he said he doesnt care what kinda pressure u throw at the lifters, the goverment has some humvey's in iraq runnin there lifters and he said some of them runnin almost 300 (i think) on the seat and i know for sure 600 open.. Very good lifter!!
someone else recomended Crane but I went on there sight and it was very generic in descriptions ? I will give him a call, I plan on going to more cam to see what happens ?
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tektrans
I was thinking to going to a carb style intake as well, it's good that you're saying you don't think you're losing any down low.I have a ported stock intake on there now and my motor seems to keep pulling past 6500. It ET's better the higher I shift it. I have shifted it as high as 6600 and I will try up to 6800 this thurs at a track rental.
With the stock intake I was expecting it to drop off in the higher rpms but the track ET is telling me different.
I think the cubes really help to prevent torque loss. If it was a 408 I would be concerned.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:20 PM
On The Tree

someone else recomended Crane but I went on there sight and it was very generic in descriptions ? I will give him a call, I plan on going to more cam to see what happens ?
Ya give him a call, i actually just got off the phone with him... They are really nice, they even have raised oiling holes which is what u need when running a higher lift cam versus the stock lifters, u wont be dissapointed, and they stand behind there product!
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:21 PM
On The Tree

i made a correction, its the navy seal boats, not the humveys....
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

What advantage would the Crane lifters have over the tried and tested Morels? Price?
Old 10-21-2008 | 09:34 PM
Launching!

If they are new ? They have most likely took Morels design and improved on it internally ? Hydraulic valvetrains have come a long way in the last 8 years. If told me they would be running factory hydraulic cams 7000rpm like the LS7 I would find it hard to swallow in the early 90's. It just goes to show any design can be improved no matter how great it already is ?
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:10 AM
Banned

I have looked at Morel's and mechanically did not see much difference other than a nicer shiny finish ?

Ya thats it, they are $425 more than an Ls7 lifter because they are shinny.

LMAO!!
That shinny surface is a superior body and wheel to the factory lifter.
Do a search and look for the ls7 and caddy lifter failures, there are plenty on here. In addition the link bar is also much better than a plastic tray

If you spend $3500-$6600 on a new engine why would you cheap out on the one parts that could take out the whole engine if it goes?
We're talking about insurance on your investment here. The lifter plays a crucial role and when you running big cams to hi rpms with heavy spring pressures you going beyond what the OEM lifter was made to handle. HTM has stated this and shown you how they do it. I'd take their advice.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-22-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2008 | 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I have just finished a 440ci lsx build 12.0 compression and has a set of TSP LS7 big cnc'd heads 400cfm. The motor is currently on the dyno have made several passes to 7,000rpm and the power curve is still climbing very hard at 7k. It has LS7 lifters, titanium intake valves ferrea spring 175seat and 475 open and lightweight valve train does anyone have a similar setup and how high do you turn yours ? I would like to spin it 7500-7600 to see where it falls off ? really dont want to have valve float on a new engine. Any help will be appreciated.
We run steel valves on some stuff and turn 8K+ You cant say there is a generic safe limit for a hyd roller. Each valve weight, retainer/lock/spring weight, spring combo, lifter, lifter preload, rocker arm weight, geometry change can change where and where it wont make power. Look for signs of valvefloat on the dyno, and in the parts like locks/retainers etc

Quick Reply: safe limit hydraulic roller rpm