Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls3 427

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 427

so i talked to a guy on camaroz28who has done this, i did a search and didnt find much, im looking for a sponsor to help me who has done this without oil consumption problems, which the guy on camaro z28 said i wont have any problems if i buy the correct pistons.

im also debating on going with a set of ported l92 heads for this motor since ive had such great success with my stock l92's on my 408, hopefully that intake will be comeing out soon.

whats crazy tho is when i did a search i was seeing ls3's putting down close to what most 408 l92 setups are putting down granted some were dyno jets and mine was a mustang dyno so i cant compare mine 100%. is it the long stroke or something and the restrictive intake?

im looking for 550-600rwhp threw a m6, this will be going into a c5 FRC

im not really up on what the best heads are out there incase someone suggest trick flows ect.

so i guess im open to opinions good or bad
Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've done plenty of these. My builder HKE has a great reputation and is a leader in the development of pistons for correct use. Your goals are very acheivable, the issue with the L92 is the intake at the moment. You can go with a Beck L92 and hit the mark

I'll send you a pm as well. There are a few options to look at.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

cool thanks!

i mean as it is if i spend what 3500 on a trick flow top end with intake vs a l92 top end with a sheet metal intake for like 3k im saving a lil money im just going for cost effective but not skimping out on anything.

just trying to figure things out before the snow hits
Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going L92/Sheet metal will put you well beyond your stated budget of $3500! The last sheet metal intake we purchased for a combo was well into the $2000 range! Those intakes can also have a BIG affect on RPM range of the engine, which can hurt your driveability if that's a concern.

For the average DD, the GM L76/LS3 composite intake will be just fine. We've built plenty of combos with the PRC L92 heads and that intake in your HP goal range! Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Going L92/Sheet metal will put you well beyond your stated budget of $3500! The last sheet metal intake we purchased for a combo was well into the $2000 range! Those intakes can also have a BIG affect on RPM range of the engine, which can hurt your driveability if that's a concern.

For the average DD, the GM L76/LS3 composite intake will be just fine. We've built plenty of combos with the PRC L92 heads and that intake in your HP goal range! Let us know if we can help!

driveability def is something i want, it wont be a d/d but if i happend to want to drive it alot when its warm i dont wanna have a hard time. im sure a ported l76 will be just fine for the setup.

ill definitly be giving you guys a call soon t get a idea of things
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Drivalbility is in the tune and cam selection, if your want to hit 550-600 rwhp then its going to need to get more air than a ported L76 can give it. This is the reason for most of the disappointing results with L92 build. They aren't cam'ed properly and have intake issues. We have a L92 408 with Beck sheetmetal going together right now fpor someone wanting an allout setup. It's all depends on what your goals are and your stated goals are ambitious.

The Beck sheetmetal is $2200'ish alone then you need a Tb for it, the heads about $1875 delivered so around $4075'ish, The trickflows and a FAST 92/92 is around $3975 with a 92mmTB. SO the money is close.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Drivalbility is in the tune and cam selection, if your want to hit 550-600 rwhp then its going to need to get more air than a ported L76 can give it. This is the reason for most of the disappointing results with L92 build. They aren't cam'ed properly and have intake issues. We have a L92 408 with Beck sheetmetal going together right now fpor someone wanting an allout setup. It's all depends on what your goals are and your stated goals are ambitious.

The Beck sheetmetal is $2200'ish alone then you need a Tb for it, the heads about $1875 delivered so around $4075'ish, The trickflows and a FAST 92/92 is around $3975 with a 92mmTB. SO the money is close.
cool thanks for putting a few things in perspective, not a bad price on everything, ive kinda got the top end down now im gonna need to focus on the bottom end
Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drivalbility is in the tune and cam selection
I agree, to an extent. But when you bump the powerband of the engine up 500+rpm with that intake, the low-end power and driveability is definitely affected! I know people drive them daily just like some drive high 240º intake duration cams in their 346's...but they are much more tolerant to this stuff than the average user on the site. For my tastes, the LS3 intake is the better choice for the average DD vehicle!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

true, very true but we all have different SOP meters for what we think is good manors..LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
cool thanks!

i mean as it is if i spend what 3500 on a trick flow top end with intake vs a l92 top end with a sheet metal intake for like 3k im saving a lil money im just going for cost effective but not skimping out on anything.

just trying to figure things out before the snow hits
I don't think anyone has made 600 RWHP with L92 heads and an L76 manifold but 550 is probably doable. The pistons are what matters. I did these a long time ago and still do them and have never had issues but used my own special pistons that take into account the bore length. Most of the guys doing the 4.100 and up stroke had problems since they did not know what they were doing on the pistons.

I fixed more than a few of these 4.100 and up stroke deals for several vendors with the correct stuff. Most of the piston makers did not even know at one time how short the cylinders actually are on those engines. Ashley Gable just went 9.50 @ 143.3 mph last night with one of these L92 427s they've had a while. With the bigger stroke and things done right you can not run any large power adders on the engine though.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I agree, to an extent. But when you bump the powerband of the engine up 500+rpm with that intake, the low-end power and driveability is definitely affected! I know people drive them daily just like some drive high 240º intake duration cams in their 346's...but they are much more tolerant to this stuff than the average user on the site. For my tastes, the LS3 intake is the better choice for the average DD vehicle!
Yes I agree the L76 stuff is more in line with a hydraulic roller street engine although it probably may never hit 600 rwhp.

I think 99BlancoSS was seeing the 600 RWHP goal more than anything else. Even the small bore LS7 heads from ETP would be nice with that manifold if they were readily available (I don't think they are though anymore ).

He could also look at the big TFS or AFR heads and a FAST 92 if his goal is really 600 at the wheels.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to jack this thread, but Im putting together one of these engines as we speak. l92 block, callies crank, compstar rods, manley pistons. I had planned on spraying up to a 200 shot. Would you think that is too much? I hear guys say that is fine and will live a long time, just wouldn't mind another opinion. Also what do you think of the manley pistons?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by formula17
Not to jack this thread, but Im putting together one of these engines as we speak. l92 block, callies crank, compstar rods, manley pistons. I had planned on spraying up to a 200 shot. Would you think that is too much? I hear guys say that is fine and will live a long time, just wouldn't mind another opinion. Also what do you think of the manley pistons?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, I can't comment on whether those pistons are right or wrong for that application since I never use Manley pistons. I have no idea if they have the skirts right for that app or not but I use their valvetrain stuff a lot though and it's very nice. It's an engineering and knowledge problem and not a quality problem.

I use a different rod length and piston and have never had any issues with my bigger stroker stuff in the regular blocks. I have been doing it for 7 years and now a few people are copying what I did. Most of the aftermarket kit's I have seen are wrong though and had issues at least in the recent past on anything over 4.000 stroke.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I also had HKE build my 408 and I have now complains. I also have a Beck intake for my L92 and as far as drivebility I haven't had any problems yet and I using a Accufab 105.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you port the LS3 intake to get a better flowing intake on the cheaper side?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

I have a LS3 427 stroker from Texas Speed and am just about to 5k miles and have no oil consumption issues at all. I also made 502rwhp through an unlocked A4. Locked it made 536rwhp. You should easily see over 550 on an M6. I am using a STOCK L76 intake and Stock L76 injectors also. I have been very please with the results I have seen so far. I haven't even switched over to synthetic oil yet. You can check out my other mods in my sig.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
I agree, I also had HKE build my 408 and I have now complains. I also have a Beck intake for my L92 and as far as drivebility I haven't had any problems yet and I using a Accufab 105.
Erik of HKE is the real pro when it comes to this stuff and that is why I had him build my forged LS6 blower motor b/c he is the best in the business!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Erik of HKE is the real pro when it comes to this stuff and that is why I had him build my forged LS6 blower motor b/c he is the best in the business!
Couldnt have said it better myself...LOL
This is why I work closely with Erik to produce my engines
Give me a call if someone needs one, I'm easy to get a hold of and a direct link to da man!

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-27-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: ls3 427