Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

07 zo6 engine blew up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced a LS7 at work that oil straved spun bearings and then ventilated the engine block when the #5&6 were "seeking daylight". It was probably the most catastrophic engine blow up I have seen, and I have seen a few. Everything was oil soaked, everyfluid was lost and it even set the rear bumper cover of fire and melted all of the components in the rear cover.

The 06-08 LS7 do have oiling issues and they have been supposedly resolved for the '09 model year. The previous LS7's majoritily have oiling problems typically scavenge related. This generally shows up while people are using them as they were designed to be used .......on roadcourses. The problem is that the dual gerator oil pump is unable to return oil to the tank as quickly as it is being pulled from the tank because the previous oil pan is restrictive on the scavenge side. This is why people like A.R.E. have modified GM's oil pan to be better on the scavenge side , and why GM has now redesigned their oil pan and increased the capacity of the dry-sump tank via a piece of crap piggy-back tank. GM doesn't spend money on re-engineering things unless there are issues. Their flagship Z06 is not as bullet proof as they would like you to believe.

Thankfully for your customer, GM has easily decided to replace the engine under warranty. My customer had to wait for 4 weeks while 3 separate district service managers all had to look at his car (which was completely stock), because this occured at a lapping day/school at Mid-Ohio at a PCA event. (bet the Porsche people got a good chuckle at that ). Even though there are known issues with the 06-08 LS7 oiling, they drug his problem on and on. After they told him that they would replace his engine , they also told him in the same breath that if he lost another engine the same way that GM would not replace hsi engine again. They were unwilling to install an '09 motor ( with updated oil pan and pump ) or to upgrade his oil tank/resevoir to '09 specs. Fortunately all service replacement LS7's will be of current build so he received an '09 engine anyways, and so will your customer (I think...Being in Canada may change things).

Regardless , they did replace the engine and repaired the rear of the car, but left the owner feeling very disgruntled.

On your engine replacement, do not forget to remove the tank, completely disassemble and clean it. Additionally you should clean the supply and return lines form the tank, remove the oil cooler and lines and thoroughly clean those components. I have seen and heard of other dealers replacing engine on multiple occassions for not paying attention to all of the details, dont let this happen to you.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lines and cooler were replaced and the tank was flushed out. Thanks It is weird it was the same 2 rod brgs.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

26K and no issues with the engine or anything else on this thing. I drive it every day to work and back but have never road raced it at least on any track. Makes a great driver.

LSX

Quick Reply: 07 zo6 engine blew up.