Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9
View Poll Results: If you were going to buy a 402 shortblock TODAY who would you buy it through?
LME
19.05%
Texas Speed
22.86%
HKE
37.14%
VA Speed
4.76%
SLP
0%
Scoggin Dickey
6.67%
Katech
9.52%
Lingenfelter
0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

402 Shortblocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0monsta
Heard Katech had some recent layoffs and may be in trouble due to GM's financial trouble?
We have seen this coming since 2005. That is why we have been building our aftermarket division to make up for the lack of GM work. Our business used to be 80% GM, 10% aftermarket, 10% other. Now its 40% GM, 40% aftermarket, 20% other. Maybe even more aftermarket than that in the recent months. All I know is, I'm still here and busy as ever. Its true we have been downsizing our work force because of the lack of GM work, but that has been happening since 2005. Basically we are trying to disconnect ourselves from GM so we are not reliant on them. We've been doing that for years.

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
Well, if Chevrolet goes, then Katech won't be able to build the engines for the Le Mans C6.R's...
After Le Mans 2009, the Corvette Race team will be switching to GT2. At that time GM's Wixom facility will be building the engines, not Katech. GM decided they would rather do it in-house. That is, if the Wixom facility stays open. I've heard those employees are on pins and needles just like everybody else at GM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
After Le Mans 2009, the Corvette Race team will be switching to GT2. At that time GM's Wixom facility will be building the engines, not Katech. GM decided they would rather do it in-house. That is, if the Wixom facility stays open. I've heard those employees are on pins and needles just like everybody else at GM.
Interesting news for sure. Good luck...
Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Everyone wants HKE but the wait is crazy. He's way behind.

Any thoughts on Katech or Va Speed?
Shawn@VA Speed built mine.

Top notch, the customer service was great and they never got frustrated with me calling all the time asking for a status. The build time was very good.

Here's what you can have:

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Is that what your motor put down? DAMN!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
Is that what your motor put down? DAMN!!!
Yes, I was VERY impressed / happy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtSu3a3RjQ
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

What are all the specs on your build? I can't view youtube here at work.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

VA Speed 402 / AFR 225 heads / Maggie 122 @ 13psi / 100 shot.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FL-Pirate
VA Speed 402 / AFR 225 heads / Maggie 122 @ 13psi / 100 shot.
Awesome. Shawn is building my 416 right now

I'm staying NA with TFS 235 heads. Can't wait to see what it puts down.

How many miles do you have on yours? How was the breakin and oil consumption?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Awesome. Shawn is building my 416 right now

I'm staying NA with TFS 235 heads. Can't wait to see what it puts down.

How many miles do you have on yours? How was the breakin and oil consumption?
I've got about 600+ miles on it now. No noticeable oil consumption during break in.

Yours is going to be a monster, keep us posted.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Wow only 600 miles and already on the dyno!.....Did you get break in instructions with the motor? If so it would be awesome if you could forward me a copy. I'd like to review it ahead of time.

I have the TFS 235s on order. Should be here in a week or so. Have a melling oil pump on order as well. Already have fast 46lb injectors and vrx5 cam. Curious how the cam will do with this setup. I think it will make a ton of torque. I have a stalled/geared A4. So it will be interesting. Hoping for 525ish.

How long did it take for you to get your shortblock? Shawn estimates shipping to be around Mar 11th. He's still waiting on the crank and rods. He has the block and pistons already.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

On my motor, he had me put 500 miles on it, change the oil and tune it. I sent Shawn my heads and had him make a custom cam for my set up. I wanted him to bolt the heads on so he could figure out the compression, quench and pushrod length so everything was spot on. He explained everything he was going to do and use and what kind of power he had made in the past with those components.

You may want to sell your 46lb and get some 60's to be on the safe side.

Mine is also a stalled(small) A4(performabuilt).

It didn't take him long at all once he got the crank and rods from Callies. Callies dropped the shipping ball for a couple of wks but no fault of VA Speed and it was during the holidays too so longer ship time was to be expected.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 2800 stall and performabuilt level 2 4L60E. Everyone tells me the 42lbs injectors are what's common on the 402 guys. I was actually thinking the 46lb would be too big! Remember, I'm staying NA.

I was going to send him my heads and stuff but it would get expensive to do all that. Trickflow told me the pushrods I have now will work. I already have the cam...so I wouldn't think bolting everything on would be that hard. I'll have an engine stand with some help making sure everything is done right and taking my time.

I had to email him and ask him what the cc was on the pistons so that I could tell TEA what to mill the heads to. He hadn't asked me any of that? Maybe he was assuming I was going to send him my heads because I mentioned it earlier. But that was before I decided to get new heads.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

I have a 2800 stall and performabuilt level 2 4L60E. Everyone tells me the 42lbs injectors are what's common on the 402 guys. I was actually thinking the 46lb would be too big! Remember, I'm staying NA.

I was going to send him my heads and stuff but it would get expensive to do all that. Trickflow told me the pushrods I have now will work. I already have the cam...so I wouldn't think bolting everything on would be that hard. I'll have an engine stand with some help making sure everything is done right and taking my time.

I had to email him and ask him what the cc was on the pistons so that I could tell TEA what to mill the heads to. He hadn't asked me any of that? Maybe he was assuming I was going to send him my heads because I mentioned it earlier. But that was before I decided to get new heads.
I'm no mechanic and if all of the tolerances aren't right you could be asking for some big trouble. I was in the same boat and didn't want to spend the extra $$ but in the long run I only want to do this once and it "could" end up costing a LOT more if I screwed it up.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FL-Pirate
I'm no mechanic and if all of the tolerances aren't right you could be asking for some big trouble. I was in the same boat and didn't want to spend the extra $$ but in the long run I only want to do this once and it "could" end up costing a LOT more if I screwed it up.
Well I believe all the tolerances lie within the shortblock. The heads you just bolt on, put in lifters, pushrods and rockers. Put on valve cover...

I'd like to see the block before it all goes together. Would like to see the awesomeness of a $5,000 hunk of metal before I cover it all up
Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I believe all the tolerances lie within the shortblock. The heads you just bolt on, put in lifters, pushrods and rockers. Put on valve cover...

I'd like to see the block before it all goes together. Would like to see the awesomeness of a $5,000 hunk of metal before I cover it all up
things that need measured during top end assembly-cam timng-seen many cam ground a couple degrees off,need a dial indicator and degree wheel for this one,pushrod length-this really has to be checked closely-i have yet to use a stock length set of pushrods.valve to piston clearance,cam end play,rocker arm height,i'm sure there are some i'm forgetting right now,but i can assure you that you don't just bolt on any of these parts,is it really worth saving a couple of bucks when you have $8000.00 invested in new parts-just my thoughts
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

I have 7.500 pushrods that TEA said I need to use with the heads and rockers. Using the same rockers that was on the last set of heads from TEA....they cleared.

The cam timing i've been wondering about. Thought most everyone just slaps in the cam and calls it a day. Does the valve reliefs in the pistons not relieve the concern with clearance?

If I send you all brand new parts, cam, timing chain, heads, etc and you just bolt them on and check it out what cost am I looking at? I want to do it right but things are adding up quickly.

If you're on here who's building my engine? hahah just kidding.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

^ The little things are always the ones that add up so quickly because they are often over looked. Is it worth it to you to spend a couple hundred more to have everything professionaly installed and measure/clearanced accordingly? I would like to think yes considering the amount you already have invested.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Teching In

I would definitely talk to Ed Potter at Late Model Speed Inc. 260-724-7792
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

hke!!! waiting on my 408 but it seems to look like i made the right decision. we will soon find out.

Quick Reply: 402 Shortblocks