Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My 454 LSX NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
That is a lot of great information. I am sitting down and reading through your webpage. I especially like hearing about the length of your sleeves, and I don't know how you do it with 4.5" throw in there haha. What is the compression height on the pistons? If I had known about the short blocks you guys have, I may have had one in my car now! IMHO, your prices are great for the product you offer, I don't know how you do it. But I'm beyond impressed right now.
Until you do what you just did ( stop and read at what the ERL product offers) most people will still just think it is a sleeved block. I have the issue in Australia to get peoples head around this.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haans you did fine for yourself dont second guess it now. The ERL is more money, we've had customers think about it but in the end it cam down to a financial decision and they did the best they could for their budget. As I recall you were trying to bring this in under a certain amount so you did great !!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

I agree in that if you have set a certain budget for yourself then by all means stick with your budget. We've been in business for about 35 years so we aren't going away anytime soon, so I'm sure we'll be around when you decide to do another engine. HAHA I just want guys to see that our stuff isn't that much more and in some cases right in line with everyone else.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea how much nitrous the ERL blocks can handle?

Want to find out?

Does anyone use block fill with these to help stabilize everything or is it not nessasary?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did some grinding yesterday
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

We've done quite a few LS nitrous engines for the sand rail market. We've had guys spraying a 300 to 400 shot on our Superdeck I blocks. Actually the ERL Superdeck I block is great for nitrous because of how beefy the upper portion of the sleeves are. We've done partial fills in some extreme application. Those applications usually require putting an o-ring in the head and a receiver grove in the block as well along with copper head gaskets. (Not for street use)

Hey Punisher, that looks like a great way to spend the afternoon!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
Hey Punisher, that looks like a great way to spend the afternoon!
Thanks.

Its very relaxing.

Till something goes wrong.

and something always goes wrong.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Well, look at it this way, you have a long weekend to get it fixed.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Haans you did fine for yourself dont second guess it now. The ERL is more money, we've had customers think about it but in the end it cam down to a financial decision and they did the best they could for their budget. As I recall you were trying to bring this in under a certain amount so you did great !!
I agree, I did do quite well for myself, and my builder is top notch, definitely not second guessing, just always thinking ahead I appreciate the kind words!

Punisher...can't wait to see some more progress...if I wasn't moving down to Texas next week, I would love to come out and put some sweat into your project!

ERL, there maybe a FI setup coming in about 5 years, and I'm sure you'll still be around. Granted that your setup's maybe a little more expensive, but they are DEFINITELY superior to the warhawk blocks that have been having problems dropping their sleeves, and the warhawks appear to be as much if not more expensive then your stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haans249
Punisher...can't wait to see some more progress...if I wasn't moving down to Texas next week, I would love to come out and put some sweat into your project!

Thanks. Good luck in Texas
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Hey if you guys want you can come put some sweat into my project for me I'll even pay you for your time

I had a project come up from a customer and we wanted to use the Superdeck for a large turbo build, but in the end it wasn't in the cards. But you never know what the future holds, we like big cube builds
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im basically sitting around with my thumb up my *** (purely metaphorical)
Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

Dude your list of !delete grows..
Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Dude your list of !delete grows..
LOL

Story of my life. Im not too good at leaving things undone.

Im gonna run out of things to do soon.

Its easy to not put things back in.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

no kiddin'....i sat there staring at my power steering pump and all i could think was "damn, that's ugly...covers up half the motor." so now, purely for aesthetic reasons, i'm in the market for a manual rack...
Old 05-23-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
no kiddin'....i sat there staring at my power steering pump and all i could think was "damn, that's ugly...covers up half the motor." so now, purely for aesthetic reasons, i'm in the market for a manual rack...
Wow. our builds are so similar. As im sure its obvious, the past week has been focused on emptying the engine bay.

I was thinking about a manual rack a couple days ago. So ive been looking up threads on what people thought about it on a DD

Im just not sure about driving it every day...

I still have time to think about it.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Wow. our builds are so similar. As im sure its obvious, the past week has been focused on emptying the engine bay.

I was thinking about a manual rack a couple days ago. So ive been looking up threads on what people thought about it on a DD

Im just not sure about driving it every day...

I still have time to think about it.
they (Madman) say that their manual racks steer better than a stock setup with the fluid drained....find someone with a stock car and drain their steering system and see how it drives...then imagine something in between that and with the fluid in it

If i end up with the clutch i'm looking at, there's a very, VERY small...yet very real...possibility i might get my engine/trans/K-member all in the car next weekend
Old 05-23-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
they (Madman) say that their manual racks steer better than a stock setup with the fluid drained....find someone with a stock car and drain their steering system and see how it drives...then imagine something in between that and with the fluid in it

If i end up with the clutch i'm looking at, there's a very, VERY small...yet very real...possibility i might get my engine/trans/K-member all in the car next weekend

Wow. thats awesome.

I dont even kno when ill have my engine....
Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is interested in buying a manual rack, give me a call on Tuesday (we'll be closed on Monday for the holiday). We have manual racks in stock.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well....

It is pretty obvious to anyone watching, that this build has been slowing.

And im here to let you all know, my dad is really sick, and i will not have enough money for awhile to finish this project, so I will do something smaller. I need to help out with bills and such, so thanks for all your support and admiration. I was excited to see this finished, but i have other obligations. My engine was just finished to... so...

I have a 454 LSX Shortblock for sale.

I will make a post in the for sale section, with lots more parts also

Quick Reply: My 454 LSX NA Build