Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

bad luck, spun rod bearing. 3rd motor,,

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad luck, spun rod bearing. 3rd motor,,

some of u kno of my ls1/chevelle , had 6.0,4.8,5.7,, all of them have had a spun rod bearing.. mileage unknown on all of them,, current 5.7 i did all the oil system correct.. i didnt shim oil pump,, only thing. . i just dont understand this... i push them pretty hard everytime i get in.. 6200 rpm.. am i asking to much.. startin to make me a non believer of lsx's.. i love the power they make and strength.. but spun rod bearing in all of them,, must be me not doing something right.. and i did install new o-ring with two bolts holding it down.. my bbc 454 never had nuttin wrong with it..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be rude, but maybe you're doing something wrong when you open he engines up? The oil system in an LSx is very very different than it is on an old school SBC or BBC. Have you ever asked for help from anyone with a lot of experience with these engines? I push my Camaro to 6100 RPM every day, and it's got almost 150K miles on it...and everything inside the oil pan is exactly as it was when it left the factory in Canada when it was built in 2000.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, but I see a lot of people pick up junkyard engines, and insist on opening them up to give them new parts, and the engines wind up failing shortly thereafter...I've bought junkyard LT1's for $200 before, and just dropped them into the car and run them...for thousands and thousands of miles...I wonder if you're overcomplicating your swaps?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea maybe i am. but the 6.0 i pun in there i never opened up the oil pan.. i probly ran it out of oil.. i home made my oil pan and pick up tube.. it seemed fine.. i did put a used oil pump inthere.. that is probly my problem.. i will def kno wat it is when i open it up tommorow.. might have just been a lifter..but i doubht it..too loud to be.. and i already have heads pulled of and see a lil bit of piston slap to heads..very very minor.. maybe i caught it in time and just replace bearings..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe it's your oil pan and tube that you made at home.

Maybe it's not working out good for you. I'd pick up a stock tube and pan and rebuild and see what happens.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what im telling my self,, but i belieave its the pumps fault.. as i had this pump in my spun 4.8 and there was metal shavings in the oil filter..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

are you letting the motors fully warm up before you hammer on it?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

so you re-used an oil pump from a blown up engine,, that had metal in the filter,,, dude splurge a little and get a new pump and a oil pan and pick-up tube that are not home-made, and some rod bolts if your going to spin it high

i have had a couple used engines with cam or head swaps and ran them all over 6500, even up to 7500 rpm without any oil/bearing issues

Quick Reply: bad luck, spun rod bearing. 3rd motor,,