Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam for L92 Heads: Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes me wonder how my little 216/224 112+3 cam would do with L92s on my 6.0 Goat..
Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a new cam for my 408 LS3 headed/intake Rm'ed GT-88 from Virginan Speed. I am pulling the 230/240 114 .59x/.60x cam out and going back with a 236/232 .610/.610 116+6 cam and spring kit. I hope this cam wakes up my lazy turbo.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

What do you guys suggest for a 6.0 stock lq4 with cnc'd l92s and a vic jr setup?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66deuce
makes me wonder how my little 216/224 112+3 cam would do with L92s on my 6.0 Goat..
What lobes are they on, it will have crazy low and mid range torque but I bet it will lay down around 5600 rpms. I have Performance Trends, give me the cam specs and I will plug them in for the fun of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pink_bits
hello there im from AUS, im getting a 427 ls3 built buy a shop that sponsors this forum, with l92 heads, the motor has the fast 102 w/tb, the car is 4400lbs in weight with a 4l65e with a 4200rpm stall, the cam he told me to go is a 248/260 114lsa do u guys think it will work??
Thanks
Who's building it, Higgins has a 900hp LSX NA and has a monster cam. It depends on the intake which u have stated, Short runner needs tighter lsa, long runner wider. The problem most ppl don't realise is cranking compression. Kevin stated he had to drop from 12:1 to 11.3 to make his car work and find optimal timing, this does not mean that every LSX must run 11:1 comp to work. Dyn. compression is they key here if its to high you end up pulling timing crazy to low and it wants way to much and you lose torque. checking cranking compression against your current static and cam ICL gives a solid indication of where you are and should be. You can use a computer program like performance trends etc which calculates all this going off the whole works and I found it to be within 0.1:1 compression of every setup I have built/tune tested then it becomes second nature.

I don't think some of the cars mentioned are overcammed they just aren't setup correctly... Going up 10 deg on the intake means dyn comp drops off-right off and then ppl wonder why there cars don't go. They need another 1 point in comp minimum and then you should be just checking the quench. There is so much more to it. A lot of calculations and experience. Some ppl pipe up about it and dont even understand the basics of cam timing and how it relates to manifold selection. If a cam is installed and doesnt perform it doesn always mean its the wrong cam just selected for the wrong compenents. Ie if I run a 245 intake lobe on 114+2 I will need a hefty comp ratio to make up in the late ICL and so on. If I run that cam with a victor junior it will lose 40 tq so I tighten the lsa up to get it back and get the engine to peak where I want it,

So at times to find more power its a case of finding whats required and then altering ICL and compression and other things to find the correct results.

Also any aftermarket camshaft tends to always produce the same amount of tq in a given engine(we are talking real engine dyno numbers) The amount will only change slightly but going up and down in size and most of the time the change is from dyn.compression. eg a 212-218 cam on .570 lift will make very close numbers to a 230s cam its just where it peaks that changes, one will make 500tq at 4000 the other at 5300. Its a matter of keeping it as high as possible and long as possible to make big top end hp, ie its a multiplication of torque or for a early peak you get more power early on but the power drops off early. So torque can stay with 10 foot pound but power can alter by 50hp or more. Its a matter of finding what you want and then once its in listen to what the motor wants to get the best from it.

To gain torque, don't look at fancy camshafts because an extra 10 foot pound isnt gonna do squat, Heads, intake, capacity exhaust and compression can all alter torque dramatically the cam just changes the curve to what you want.

cheers
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

So you're saying that everything has to work together?????

Cams that work with a composite manifold are not necessarily right for carb type manifold. I have also never seen a carb manifold with an elbow produce good numbers NA with these heads. Most people do better taking the elbow/manifold off and putting on a composite manifold and the right cam or using a 4 barrel TB.

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-30-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Teching In

LME is doing the motor........the motor will run about 11.8/1 comp......
Thanks Simon
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WKMCD

Cams that work with a composite manifold are not necessarily right for carb type manifold. I have also never seen a carb manifold with an elbow produce good numbers NA with these heads. Most people do better taking the elbow/manifold off and putting on a composite manifold and the right cam or using a 4 barrel TB.
Bang your head if you dont get it.I dont know what your getting at...but my point EXACTLY. As soon as you make changes aka a manifold you need a cam change. I never said anything about an elbow, IMO there good for FI and thats it really, otherwise run a carb.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Kevin was just being sarcastic
Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah really, I didnt think yanks had a good sense of sarcastic aussie humour
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

We have some sense of humor once in a while

See that's funny!!!!

My 13 year old daughter bought me a beer huggy that says "Sarcasm is one of my many talents"

Last edited by 69LT1Bird; 12-31-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VERTC6
The GT 11 cam makes all it's power with lift, .630 & .640. Thats why it performs so well down low. The LS7 cam even with 1.8 rockers doesn't compare.

Board member Andrew Borodin has the LS7 cam in a L92 and makes 418HP at the rear wheels. See video at http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/724/98/ Adding a 15% loss factor that's 490HP at the crank. Nothing wrong with that & again for an econo build you get low price and OEM reliability. I'm not saying there are not other options but the valve timing events for this cam seem to work.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hymey
Ah really, I didnt think yanks had a good sense of sarcastic aussie humour
I worked for a an Aussie company for a number of years called Mayne Nickless. I don't think they're doing to well anymore.

I was whole heartedly agreeing with you. My sense of humor is often misunderstood.

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-31-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by WKMCD

Doh.... someone is looking for a banning...

Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

I'm still nervous about you posting on here.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

The GT 11 cam makes all it's power with lift, .630 & .640. Thats why it performs so well down low. The LS7 cam even with 1.8 rockers doesn't compare.
it's not just the lift but the proper valve events..
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

In all fairness though he has some great points and data to back it up. He and I have had many heated discussions over the years (like many others have) about cams, and he is starting to sway me to his way of thinking about cam design, and I have done a lot of research that backs up his thinking. However, he thinks his way is the only way and doesn't always seem to understand that some guys just want a nice mild cam that doesnt' lobe to much are very little at all.

When you study the GM Tech article and throughout the 2 big Livernois and Lunati cams (which performed terrible below 6k rpm) all the cams are within 10 - 15 hp of one another and a lot of it comes down to what you are looking for in a cam and where it makes power. I am very big on power, specially tq, under the curve, and his 228/232 has shown that it makes more tq. at 3k rpm than a 224 cam which did surprise me. It seems to be the sweet spot of intake duration, however I plan to go with XFI lobes for a little more tq. and bump up the CR to 11.5:1 on a 116 + 2 LSA. Can't wait for next year to try it!
I have to agree that not everyone has the same goals when designing a cam. In the case of my cams, the number one consideration has alway been that they have to be really nice driving. I dont think you can say a +4 overlap cam is bad driving especially when the big tuner big cams are sometimes 16 degrees overlap and buck and surge in a stock displacement LS3 making little if any more power.

Most of the great installs on this forum are using strokers where adding 5 degrees overlap from 10 additional ex duration degrees will still drive well but it isnt the case in smaller displacements where a smaller split helps this. So when choosing a cam's specs you may want to think about if the extra 3-4hp up top from the big split is for you. Now having a 6.2 liter and not a stroker you say you want a nice idle but then you want to talk about how cams in a test on an engine dyno run?

I'm all for anyone doing research but internet research doest hold a candle to installing a cam and driving the real car especially when its a 6.2 liter and not a stroker. I share everything I do and I dont have secret cam specs. Not for nothing but you came on the corvette forum touting that you nailed down the perfect design criteria and quoted an engine dyno test with no installs of your own to back anything. You can believe what you want but an engine on a engine dyno using headers that dont fit your car and the exact same compression for all of the cams is just rediculous. Guys see insane changes in TQ just changing header diameter and primary length. I myself saw a 34rwtq@ 3500rpm just from this change so sorry if I dont agree with the test. A 224 cam with a 1 3/4 diameter primary may make great power but you are handicapping a bigger cam with the same compression and not giving it the primary it wants. Bigger cams with bigger exhausts and more compression make more power all the way through the powerband. Of course a bigger cam with the same compression and the same small headers will make less low end.

Aside from that thread, I dont ever remember posting on any of your threads and having 'heated discussions'. I respect your input as well as anyone else's. I have no personal stake in anything that results from anyone using any info that I share. I was just trying to save a few guys from installing some rediculous overlap cam in their daily driver from reading about big splits with big overlap making the same power.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

Doh.... someone is looking for a banning...

For this? come on Ed we are not on hardcoreLS1..
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I have to agree that not everyone has the same goals when designing a cam. In the case of my cams, the number one consideration has alway been that they have to be really nice driving. I dont think you can say a +4 overlap cam is bad driving especially when the big tuner big cams are sometimes 16 degrees overlap and buck and surge in a stock displacement LS3 making little if any more power.

Most of the great installs on this forum are using strokers where adding 5 degrees overlap from 10 additional ex duration degrees will still drive well but it isnt the case in smaller displacements where a smaller split helps this. So when choosing a cam's specs you may want to think about if the extra 3-4hp up top from the big split is for you. Now having a 6.2 liter and not a stroker you say you want a nice idle but then you want to talk about how cams in a test on an engine dyno run?

I'm all for anyone doing research but internet research doest hold a candle to installing a cam and driving the real car especially when its a 6.2 liter and not a stroker. I share everything I do and I dont have secret cam specs. Not for nothing but you came on the corvette forum touting that you nailed down the perfect design criteria and quoted an engine dyno test with no installs of your own to back anything. You can believe what you want but an engine on a engine dyno using headers that dont fit your car and the exact same compression for all of the cams is just rediculous. Guys see insane changes in TQ just changing header diameter and primary length. I myself saw a 34rwtq@ 3500rpm just from this change so sorry if I dont agree with the test. A 224 cam with a 1 3/4 diameter primary may make great power but you are handicapping a bigger cam with the same compression and not giving it the primary it wants. Bigger cams with bigger exhausts and more compression make more power all the way through the powerband. Of course a bigger cam with the same compression and the same small headers will make less low end.

Aside from that thread, I dont ever remember posting on any of your threads and having 'heated discussions'. I respect your input as well as anyone else's. I have no personal stake in anything that results from anyone using any info that I share. I was just trying to save a few guys from installing some rediculous overlap cam in their daily driver from reading about big splits with big overlap making the same power.
This is all very true(apart from the conflict part im not up to speed on that). But smaller splits do work better in the LS3. Those that focus on them have come up with some very impressive combos which are simple to match just by following the simple key points.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Thanks for the info. I believe these are flywheel numbers and not rwhp numbers though. 550fwhp might be 450-480 at the rear tires.
Looking at many dynographs it appears the loses to be around 70hp to the wheels with engine dyno to rwhp on DJ, Some of the cams in the LS3 tests are making 550 hp at the engine even with heads and FAST they wont make 600 not a chance. One of those cams made 483 in a LS3 thru M6 which is 67hp loss. So I would think the 228-230 would be making 480 which is an honest figure considering 224-228s are making 460-470 and 228-232s are making 480. All depends on the headers and tune/intake. 550flywheels hp is very generous, A mainline load dyno shows a much larger loss at 12% greater then the DJ. Just by comparing stock engines to stock engines and what the dynojets make with certain mods really shows the differences.

A 500rwhp on dynojet would read around 330rwkw at the most on a mainline. Even then maybe less.

Infact a 233 233 112+0 cam is making 350rwkw with fast and higgins heads. and over the radiator intake with speed density tuning. 350/.746 this is 469hp plus the 10% loss takes it to 521rw dynojet hp, around 580-590 flywheel hp..

A stock LS3 on mainline will make around 335 on a DJ around 382 both M6. Thats a 12% loss. It is hard to compare but all the results are consistent with a percentage difference.

This is another eg that single patterns work well on the short strokes,

Quick Reply: Cam for L92 Heads: Lessons Learned