Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil leak and burn question on 440 lsx

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, please get a better picture of the spark plug, as what DaddySS said it looks to be fuel fouled. Could be a stuck injector, I would suggest moving the injector to another cylinder and see if the problem follows.

What is VR4 Valvoline...do you mean VR1? If so, that is a good choice.

Also, if this motor is built for boost, then it is going to burn oil guaranteed. The piston clearances will be larger, and the rings will be looser....ie = burn more oil than a N/A motor.

You say it burns a **** load of oil, exactly how much oil are we talking? If it burns a quart every 500 miles, that maybe excessive, if it burns oh, half a quart, it maybe in-line for that type of build.

What octane fuel are you using?

Your PCV system is setup properly for a N/A motor only.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry, yes its VR1 not VR4 dont know what was going through my head.

The oil burnning thing, I wanna say about one quart for every 500 miles. I should do a test to see exactly how much it burns and get back to you but it seems like it does burn alot.

The motor is definately biult for boost maybe 14 pounds, its a street setup, I run pump gas, that is california pump gas 91 octane in the car. Ill try and move that injector to another cylinder and see what happens. Ive seen rich plugs but this one is caked with black stuff, I wanna say its oil but you never know, its just wierd that this cylinder is the only one with caked oil.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Is it oily when you wipe it or sooty?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, definitely looks like oil all over that plug. On ported LS7 heads do the rocker bolts stick through? That is what i would look at first.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

That plug has been sitting for awhile so it would probly be a bit sooty, but when I first pulled it u could see oil on the threads and just caked on **** on the tip of the plug itself.

The Ls7 heads I have do not have any hand porting, but they are CNC'd. I dont know if that matters?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Well at this point you definitely need to pull the intake at a minimum. Feel around the inside of the #8 intake runner and see if a rocker bolt is poking through. If not, the next thing I would do is pull the head and check out the cylinder walls.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

ok thank you, Ill be pulling the intake this week sometime, Ill let you know what happens. Thanks again for your time
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Not a problem. I can definitely feel your pain, as this is something you DO NOT want to be doing on a motor that is so brand new. But, when all else fails.... I just don't know what else it could be. Maybe you should first try and move the injector around before pulling head. I just really do feel your pain lol.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy03
Ok maybe I can clear it up a bit. The Moroso catch can you see at the front of the engine bay has two lines that run to it. One line is coming from the rear drivers side valve cover and the second is coming from the front of the passenger side valve cover, you can see on the pic where they join into a Y then to the Moroso catch can, which is silver or polished in color.

The black catch can you see is for the PCV system. It also has two hoses runninf to it from the front of the intake. So instead of having that U shaped hose which circulates the oil it goes into the black catch can. I hope Ive explained this OK. Ill try and get a better pic of the spark plug but there is alot of biuld up on in which in my opinion is oil, but Im not expert. Thanks
The way the breather and catch can work together should be that the breather provides fresh air to the engine via the front of the passenger side vlave cover - air in - then the catch can collects the air and oil fumes from the two ports at the rear of the valve covers into the lower port of the catch can - air out. The PCV then connects to the upper port of the catch can and draws the air and fumes form the engine, through the catch can and into the intake. The breather replaces the forward port on the throttle body and that can be capped.

Right now, from what I can see, the catch can connects to the fresh air intake and then to the PCV, effectively collecting no fumes from the engine and more importantly no vacuum.

Am I seeing it and understanding you correctly?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
The way the breather and catch can work together should be that the breather provides fresh air to the engine via the front of the passenger side vlave cover - air in - then the catch can collects the air and oil fumes from the two ports at the rear of the valve covers into the lower port of the catch can - air out. The PCV then connects to the upper port of the catch can and draws the air and fumes form the engine, through the catch can and into the intake. The breather replaces the forward port on the throttle body and that can be capped.

Right now, from what I can see, the catch can connects to the fresh air intake and then to the PCV, effectively collecting no fumes from the engine and more importantly no vacuum.

Am I seeing it and understanding you correctly?

That is completely incorrect for the setup he has. Dirty side comes from the valley cover, not the rear of the valve covers - thats old school.

Fresh air enters the valve covers - normally via the throttle body (clean side). He has it coming from the breather, which is ok. Then the catch can is from the valley cover to the intake port, valley hose going to the side of the catch can and intake coming from the top of the catch can (dirty side). The vacuum at idle will pull the air out of the valley cover into the intake, while the fresh air gets pulled from the clean side, flushing out the crankcase. Secondly, it is BEST to have the clean side to the throttle body and to get rid of the breather.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

My heads are CNCd and the rocker bolts have to be sealed. This could be your problem. Pull the intake of and cleans it all up and then seal your rocker bolts. I used high torque silicone.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Haans249
That is completely incorrect for the setup he has. Dirty side comes from the valley cover, not the rear of the valve covers - thats old school.

Fresh air enters the valve covers - normally via the throttle body (clean side). He has it coming from the breather, which is ok. Then the catch can is from the valley cover to the intake port, valley hose going to the side of the catch can and intake coming from the top of the catch can (dirty side). The vacuum at idle will pull the air out of the valley cover into the intake, while the fresh air gets pulled from the clean side, flushing out the crankcase. Secondly, it is BEST to have the clean side to the throttle body and to get rid of the breather.
Well I'm not sure it's old school - it is a different school.

I was basing my question on this "It also has two hoses runninf to it from the front of the intake." which sounds like, and from What can see from the picture looks like his black catch can is: intake- catch can - pcv - intake, so no vaccum to the engine. I agree by the way that throttle body - valve cover - valley cover - catch can - PCV - intake is the better set up.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Well I'm not sure it's old school - it is a different school.

I was basing my question on this "It also has two hoses runninf to it from the front of the intake." which sounds like, and from What can see from the picture looks like his black catch can is: intake- catch can - pcv - intake, so no vaccum to the engine. I agree by the way that throttle body - valve cover - valley cover - catch can - PCV - intake is the better set up.
I gotcha, I think he meant that the two lines are towards the front of the intake.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, understood - but it also sounded like a good reason that "The catch can does not really catch that much oil, nothing excessive at all."

Anyway, I think we need confirmation of where the catch can hoses are plugged in.

Quick Reply: oil leak and burn question on 440 lsx