Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Crate vs LS7 build from parts - cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Crate vs LS7 build from parts - cost ?

Can someone give me idea of how much would LS7 engine cost if made of GM spare parts ? And by professional shop ??

Since LS7 crate engines have come to an end . I would like to know how much would one cost if made of parts.

No need to exact amount but even close.

thanks!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have a look at Katech's 427 packages.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bowtiejoni
Can someone give me idea of how much would LS7 engine cost if made of GM spare parts ? And by professional shop ??

Since LS7 crate engines have come to an end . I would like to know how much would one cost if made of parts.

No need to exact amount but even close.

thanks!

Umm, you can still buy LS7 Crate engines from GM Performance Parts dealers such as SDPC.

Robin
Old 05-10-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep, Robin is 100,000%% right, duh .

Your decision, since you've made up your mind for LS7 is:
Build or Buy.

Crate motor vs. Custom build
You've got 3 things to think about:
1. Total cost
2. Power
3. Warranty/reliability

Do you already have the accessories?
Can you swing dry sump cost and the pain of locating the tank?

For the cost of a turn key, COMPLETE LS7, you can build a more powerful custom motor. However, you do not get accessories, nor do you get a warranty.

You need to figure out what your REAL budget for this is and go accordingly. Give yourself a 15% contingency in your budget.

If this is your daily driver, stick to factory as much as you can. If you get a crate motor, you get the warranty too. If it's a weekend car, build a custom LS3 and get the power, wet sump convenience, and come in under budget. You MUST know your budget and priorities before anyone can help you find an answer.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Roll Your Own

If you are going to do a wet sum motor and have a duplicate donor motor (or accessory drive & pan/windage tray/pickup tube/dipstick assembly) from the type car that you're doing the swap into, you can come out quite well if you are going to do the work yourself.

The reciprocating assembly and case that you use will be a great factor in the final cost, since the LS7 case, heads and intake are pretty much a non-negotiable cost unless you're lucky and find some quality used stuff. Since you're looking at some pretty expensive (LS7) items to begin with, staying away from the bargain internals should be a given.

My total cost savings was pretty substantial, but aside from the crank balancing, I performed all the work in the comfort of my shop, shaded by my Pecan trees.

A very viable alternative (and much cheaper) alternative is an L92/LS3-based stroker. These can be pretty stout if the right camshaft is used. It's probably what will end up in my truck later on this summer.

Quick Reply: LS7 Crate vs LS7 build from parts - cost ?