Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L76 build

I am building a 67 Chevelle wagon and am considering a L76 and 6L80E trans pull-out from a low mileage G8. What are some of the pitfalls of this drivetrain?
My understanding is that it is the LS2 block, LS3 heads and a different manifold, but why is it so far off the LS2 horsepower mark? Is it simply because the controls have been calibrated for regular fuel? I am not planing on building a track car, but a good streetable daily driver, so I will probably leave the VVT and DOD in place unless there is a compelling reason to delete either function. Will most of the standard street cam selections that are used in a LS2 aplicable to the VVT setup?

I have two early Corvettes with LS engines, and the L76 looks like the perfect choice. They are relatively inexpensive and hopefully, will be easy to add another 60-70 hp to. Any and all comments as to issues with using this engine/trans combo, would be appreciated.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

mainly due to the dod system that was in them. its has the tendency to produce lower numbers. they are still capable of producing good power.

My suggestion is to change it over to a non DOD and run a regular cam in it. there are alot of vendors out there selling kits that accomplish this and have had VERY impressive numbers from the L76 engine.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks John,

It only made sense that this engine could make the same power as the LS2 with a little work, but just wanted to know if I was missing something.

It is going to be interesting to see if I can stuff the 6 speed automatic in the stock Chevelle tunnel, or whether I am going to have to build a new one! It really does not look and taller or wider at the top than the 4L trans.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

FWIW, we built a few total engines with a very mild cam and pulled out a little over 500 HP on an engine dyno from this setup changing it to NON DOD.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Mast motor sports. They specialize in VVT andd DOD motors. You can have the best of both worlds with these systems.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I am building a 67 Chevelle wagon and am considering a L76 and 6L80E trans pull-out from a low mileage G8. What are some of the pitfalls of this drivetrain?
My understanding is that it is the LS2 block, LS3 heads and a different manifold, but why is it so far off the LS2 horsepower mark? Is it simply because the controls have been calibrated for regular fuel? I am not planing on building a track car, but a good streetable daily driver, so I will probably leave the VVT and DOD in place unless there is a compelling reason to delete either function. Will most of the standard street cam selections that are used in a LS2 aplicable to the VVT setup?

I have two early Corvettes with LS engines, and the L76 looks like the perfect choice. They are relatively inexpensive and hopefully, will be easy to add another 60-70 hp to. Any and all comments as to issues with using this engine/trans combo, would be appreciated.

Regards, John McGraw
It actually uses the LS3 intake and L92 heads. The only reason HP numbers are lower is the DOD cam.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're looking for a retrofit, many guys will turn off the DOD. You can make excellent power with this setup, and if you're going to have a harness built you can have it built specifically for your setup (i.e. DOD or non-DOD, 24X or 58X tooth reluctor, etc.). Feel free to give us a call, and we can set you up with a cam package and port your existing heads to make for a lethal, 100% streetable setup that will still easily knock down 20+ MPG!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks to everybody who responded. I bought the drivetrain yesterday, and it is enroute. It is a 2009 G8 drivetrain with a A6 trans. As soon as I get all the mock-up done for the mounting in the Chevelle chassis, I will start to look at performance mods. It is a brand-new engine with only about 2K miles on it. I know I will have to lose the Pont front sump pan to clear the crossmember, and I am betting that I will not be able to use the stock accessory drives either. I had to go aftermarket on the drives for both my other cars, but maybe I will get lucky this time.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: L76 build