Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

An Open Letter to SCAT Crankshafts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
So an aftermarket crank used aftermarket sized bolts? Man thats weird. LOL, all this over 26 bucks, damn what a tight ***.
I think perhaps you should read the entire thread and think about what if you were in quadmans shoes on a Saturday night when everybody is there to help him drop it in and we discover a crank for an LS based motor is not using standard LS threads, has nothing to do with being cheap or a "tight ***" it was written out of frustration and the issue has been resolved.

Thanks for your input tho.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The topic of this thread is a joke. Please do dog a company for making a great product. Please do.

This "issue" is not out of the norm for anything aftermarket. SCAT wasn't trying to supply OEM parts to GM precisely placed in a cradle pack so they can be ASM'ed by a machine. It is not like an ASM line went down and XXX,XXX dollars were lost due to the hours it took to clear it up.

This was an aftermarket application where that didn't matter. Just get the correct bolts and be merry. Nothing that should of caused enough drama to merit this post. No motor broke. No product failed. No one lost a race even.

This is a joke. Holy ****. Why didn't you just toss your buddies a beer and take the night off???

Now if SCRAT tapped and threaded the crank for a non standard or unusual size.... say LH threads then that might be an issue worth talking about.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

now aways people wont buy it unless its a DIRECT FIT and it says for "ls1-ls6 98-02" cause they are too lazy to search and find parts to make it work....
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Yeah, a bit whiny over $26 dollar bolts, (however, the different size should be mentioned somewhere), and finding out about it late, toward the end of a build, I'd be pissed too! Nice to see it get resolved the right way, now if only the butt heads in Wash. DC. could follow how this was done.....

Last edited by Eagle Performance; 08-17-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They would have to be able to or willing to read first, no chance of that happening.

Oops, now we are both on thier lists!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In this thread somewhere, a post was made that the difference between the LS style metric bolts and the standard bolts wasn't much and with just a lil force the standard bolts could of been cross-threaded very easily. I know I would of have been pissed off if I cross-threaded my crank that I just spent my hard-earned money on. It would of made things a lil easier to know before hand to use standard bolts. Just inform me of what I need, instead of finding out later.

One other thing I was told is that Scat cranks are casted in China and only machined here. I thought that all their work was done here.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These particular cranks are forged cranks not cast but some of the cranks from all of the big companies are cast or forged overseas and that goes for almost anybody selling a crank for under 1000.00 right now. It's just the new world economy and that's the way it is unfortunately. You can get an all american crank from many including like a SCAT Billet but the cost is just way higher and 95 per cent of people won't pay that price.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

I am truly speechless....

Good show Mr. Lieb, you are running your company spot on. I will tell to all my friends, your unparalleled strives at true customer relations, be certain of this good sir!!

DM
Old 09-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Teching In

the way in which it was cleared up would make me spend my money with them any time of the week i have three different ls motors lq9 And that new bad bitch ls9 but with a procharger and now the new big inch turbo lsx block and with a company that stands by there product and willing to make it right is well worth getting my bessiness any day of the week
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Yup...I understand it might be the "principle" of the thing. BUT, a company like SCAT is not fly by night, and does still utilize phone service as a customer service method. However, if you don't have $26 for new bolts, you don't have enough money for this hobby. Maybe quad should check into knitting???

Here's a question: Did you read something in the SCAT literature that told you the threads were M11x1.5, if not what is your basis for saying "as they should be"?
Thats not the point, What if you just spent $10k on an engine and went to put it in and cross threaded the bolt assuming they were correct and the complete engine had to came apart ? and it cost you another $1500. You would be writing o here too to warn others. I knwo i would and the $26 is definetly not a problem for me. Scat should check thing like the thread and hole diameter period. What of your engine builder just asumed on clearances like they did on the bolt holes ? By the way those are blems with the 7/16 bolts I have 2 scats that are cracked from big turbo engines and both have 11mm bolts. Futher more these cranks are on Ebay as blems for $500 with the 7/16 bolts check it out.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
By the way those are blems with the 7/16 bolts I have 2 scats that are cracked from big turbo engines and both have 11mm bolts. Futher more these cranks are on Ebay as blems for $500 with the 7/16 bolts check it out.
nice to know i got a "blem" from a major vendor/sponsor of this site.
do i have anything to worry about because it's a "blem"?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean $600?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

If you have the wrong size bolt, it wont go. lol This is a crank bolt hole not a pipe thread fitting. These bolts thread all the way snug via fingertip.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quadman
Man, you are a piece of work! The man that makes the cranks says they put the 7/16 threads in them to this day, and that it was done because ARP did not make 11mm bolts when they started making the cranks. Yet you still think you got a "Blem" crank, because you have 7/16" bolts. You are clearly one of those people who would never be satisfied, no matter what!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

By the way those are blems with the 7/16 bolts I have 2 scats that are cracked from big turbo engines and both have 11mm bolts. Futher more these cranks are on Ebay as blems for $500 with the 7/16 bolts check it out.
apparently you missed this the first time i quoted it, John. so here it is...........again...either this guy is wrong.........or somebody else is...

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Man, you are a piece of work! The man that makes the cranks says they put the 7/16 threads in them to this day, and that it was done because ARP did not make 11mm bolts when they started making the cranks. Yet you still think you got a "Blem" crank, because you have 7/16" bolts. You are clearly one of those people who would never be satisfied, no matter what!
John, i will kindly ask you to keep your personal opinions of me to yourself. do i post here trashing YOU? you don't know me, nor do you know anything about me outside of this thread.
"Hello, ARP? This is xxxx xxxx, owner of (a major crankshaft co.). How about whipping up some 11mm flywheel bolts for the LS1. You'll sell a ton of them".
Oh, one more thing. What was accomplished here benefits the enTIRE LSx community. If what transpired here saves even one person from crossthreading a LS crank (and i'm sure it will), then it was worth it.
And for any of you guys who actually think i care about the $26..........ummmm.............get a grip. that part was just thrown in there for a little comic relief.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

apparently you missed this the first time i quoted it, John. so here it is...........again...either this guy is wrong.........or somebody else is...

John, i will kindly ask you to keep your personal opinions of me to yourself. do i post here trashing YOU? you don't know me, nor do you know anything about me outside of this thread.
"Hello, ARP? This is xxxx xxxx, owner of (a major crankshaft co.). How about whipping up some 11mm flywheel bolts for the LS1. You'll sell a ton of them".
Oh, one more thing. What was accomplished here benefits the enTIRE LSx community. If what transpired here saves even one person from crossthreading a LS crank (and i'm sure it will), then it was worth it.
And for any of you guys who actually think i care about the $26..........ummmm.............get a grip. that part was just thrown in there for a little comic relief.
So, it is OK for you to take the comments of someone you have never heard from as the gospel, and just automatically assume that you have purchased a "blem" crank, but it is not OK for me to form an opinion of you based upon the comments that you have made in this thread? NO, you did not trash me, but you thought nothing about trashing a quality vendor who has an exceptional reputation and great customer service. I guess there is a big difference?

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 09-15-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is FULL of information that states that Scat cranks use 7/16 bolts by design, verified by both the owner of Scat and a VERY reputable builder. I don't know where the notion that they are "blem" cranks came from, nor do I understand why Quadman would choose to believe that random lone post in the thread.

Scat cranks have used 7/16 bolts since they started making them, period. It is NOT a blem. Does that suck for Quadman and most any other average Joe that does this in his driveway? Yes, it absolutely does and it is very frustrating. Scat said that all new cranks (once inventory is depleted) will be changed to M11 bolts. I know, you'll say it's later than it should have been and it is, but they are fixing the situation. You got what you paid for and it is in perfectly fine new shape. You did not get a "blem" crank and you shouldn't make such a derogatory post about a vendor when the facts are right here in the thread for you. Don't believe one random lone post in a thread full of factual information.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

guys, i think we all need to calm down.....just because i typed "nice to know i got a "blem"" does NOT mean i think i got a blem.............hence the quotes i put around it. sarcasm does not translate well to the internet.
besides, the engine is in the car........not much i could do about it now, is there?
secondly, by "major vendor/sponsor" of this site, i was NOT referring to SCAT. the "major vendor/sponsor" shall remain anonymous because as far as i know, they are very reputable.
this thread is old news. the issue has been resolved in a very positive fashion, to everyone's benefit. it's time to move on...
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

SCAT's customer service just made my jaw drop. Out-*******-standing, Mr. Lieb.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Scat:

quadman:

Quick Reply: An Open Letter to SCAT Crankshafts