Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lsx blocks , eating camshafts and lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Nothing to do with being qualified builder, experience I'm with you, but you would expect a quality product to fit, without stress breaks, core shifts, wrong bearings etc....
I call that inferior quality, especialy for a product comming out from a giant of the industry with highly paid workers and countless hours of testing.
Now a lot of these LSx blocks issues were determined after being put together and failing.
Your logic would dismiss the majority of hot rodders as consumers if only mechanical engineers would be the only ones left to build motors.
Basicaly my point is those issues should not exist once the product hits the market.
Granted blueprinting, slight deburring etc... is part of the whole process but to have to remachine certain parts is not part of that criteria in my book.

it really would be nice if everything was made the way it was intended to be,poor quality control is one of the biggest problems in the aftermarket industry-and the bigger the company the worse the quality.I can't remember the last time i put together an engine that i didn't have to massage at least half of the parts to make them fit/work properly.Even when parts are made by the same manf alot of times they don't fit properly together.That's just the way it is,these are thing you do learn from experience and is really hard for the little guy to figure out.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn,

I will give you a shout after lunch!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Granted blueprinting, slight deburring etc... is part of the whole process but to have to remachine certain parts is not part of that criteria in my book.
Welcome to engine building. What Shawn said is correct, massaging parts is all part of the build. Some parts need more massaging than others but that does not mean they are junk.

Some assemblers (not builders) will call inexpensive parts junk because they do not have the ability or equipment to massage them to properly build the engine. And guys don't like working with certain parts as they are known to need more "massaging" then others but it's all part of engine building.

That's why you pay companies like CC Performance, HKE and VA Speed to build your engine for you. Experienced professionals who get the job done correctly. (Not just a sales pitch either )
Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree, this has been entirely true with most, if not all aftermarket blocks since forever. dart and world blocks are the same. you're always gonna have to do more machine/prep work to the aftermarket blocks.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Welcome to engine building. What Shawn said is correct, massaging parts is all part of the build. Some parts need more massaging than others but that does not mean they are junk.

Some assemblers (not builders) will call inexpensive parts junk because they do not have the ability or equipment to massage them to properly build the engine. And guys don't like working with certain parts as they are known to need more "massaging" then others but it's all part of engine building.

That's why you pay companies like CC Performance, HKE and VA Speed to build your engine for you. Experienced professionals who get the job done correctly. (Not just a sales pitch either )
Lol, I know I've been involved in "assembling " for 27 years, but I have to admit that I see less issues with original Japanese and German (especialy) aftermarket.
I still find American rougher in finish details or what I call quality pieces. maybe it is in the pride of the poeple producing those pieces, I dunno.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what would america do without china
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eat on paper plates
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good one
Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^
Old 09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol, I know I've been involved in "assembling " for 27 years, but I have to admit that I see less issues with original Japanese and German (especialy) aftermarket.
I still find American rougher in finish details or what I call quality pieces. maybe it is in the pride of the poeple producing those pieces, I dunno.
The LSX is not an american product PredatorZ!

The CNC Bowtie stuff is awesome from Chevrolet but it isn't from the same plave the LSX stuff is either as it's made here.

The European and Japanese stuff is nice though so you are right there.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

LSX block is not made in US? Ahh, learn something new everyday. Mexico? That would explain it
I know what you mean, we get Turkish Levi jeans here and they insist it is same quality as US (that is if they are still some made in US, they were 11 years ago). I tell them they are full of crap. $85>$130 a pair, can you beleive that?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
LC
TECH Resident

LSX block is not made in US? Ahh, learn something new everyday. Mexico? That would explain it
I know what you mean, we get Turkish Levi jeans here and they insist it is same quality as US (that is if they are still some made in US, they were 11 years ago). I tell them they are full of crap. $85>$130 a pair, can you beleive that?
Ohh.. i see, block is made in Mexico....

i heard quality control was done by some Arabs, that would explain it?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by racer7088
The LSX is not an american product PredatorZ!

The CNC Bowtie stuff is awesome from Chevrolet but it isn't from the same plave the LSX stuff is either as it's made here.

The European and Japanese stuff is nice though so you are right there.
Erik you are wrong. The current LSX blocks are cast then machined here in the USA.

Previous blocks were cast abroad then machined in the USA.

I have not seen any problems with LSX blocks eating cams or lifters.

I have seen cases where the specs are not in line with what some builders would like. In that case you can make the changes.

A C5R block it is not. It's a good foundation for a performance build.

I would look at the valvetrain if you are having problems. Loss of control or lofting the lifters is hard on the OEM style lifter guides.

"paper plates" that was funny......

Robin
Old 09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Robin L
Erik you are wrong. The current LSX blocks are cast then machined here in the USA.

Previous blocks were cast abroad then machined in the USA.
OK well I'm sure glad the "current" blocks are done over here in the USA.

I guess I haven't run across any of the new all USA stuff then?

Which serial numbers are you talking about Robin so we all know who has which castings?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I just can't seem to get by this statement predator.. To me it seems like your bashing American workers and our products. And you did it close to the Labor day holiday as well... nice slap in the face to the 99% of the people who frequent this board.

But yet where did your 370 come from? Couldnt find one in Germany?

Now maybe it was innocent banter but it's a bash and bothersome to me.

There are more expensive parts made in this country that do have tighter tolerances but why waste the money when a little machine work will do the job. Thats that art of engine building and again why a qualified builder is best suited to build engines.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 09-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whoa, we need to step back, take a breath. there is some understanding that there will be items that are from a high quality companys that will have problems. its bound to happen. doesnt matter what company it is from. when there are many items produced, you will see more problems with them.

with the casting of of pieces some are better than others there is always the occasion of a friday 4:45 pm quitting time is at 5:00 and you have to get a couple more pieces done (we have all done it in our lives at sometime).

im not calling anyone out on here, just calling it as i see it.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You know I just can't seem to get by this statement predator.. To me it seems like your bashing American workers and our products. And you did it close to the Labor day holiday as well... nice slap in the face to the 99% of the people who frequent this board.

But yet where did your 370 come from? Couldnt find one in Germany?

Now maybe it was innocent banter but it's a bash and bothersome to me.

There are more expensive parts made in this country that do have tighter tolerances but why waste the money when a little machine work will do the job. Thats that art of engine building and again why a qualified builder is best suited to build engines.
Blanco,

You are way out on left field on that one.
Have a nice long weekend, looks like you need the rest.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 09-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: lsx blocks , eating camshafts and lifters?