Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 compared to the rest of the LS's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 compared to the rest of the LS's...

I posted this on another forum but i wanted to look for another source of input. I need to start ordering what I will need for the motor and have a few points to touch on.

I had been planning on doing rods and pistons on the L92 I have prior to the turbos but im slowly thinking maybe I should save it for an "all out" build down the road. I actually have 2 complete L92s, so I was thinking of just slapping a new cam in one, eliminating the vvt, upgrade valves, springs and pushrods, but I was wondering how the rockers and lifters will hold up, and do i need to do an oil pump as well? If the valve train is a weak link, is there any GM parts that will take some abuse or should I look strictly aftermarket? And also, how do these motors stack up durability wise in the bottow end with a little boost compared to say a 5.3 or ls1? i assume they are all similar, but I hate to assume its going to be a street/strip truck, HP goal is kinda shooting for whatever I can get away with, and I dont really plan on revving it to the moon either, somewhere around 6k is about it. I have searched L92 info here and there, but I just get overwhelmed with L92 head info, not so much the entire L92 motor. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ls7 lifters are very good and pretty cheap like $130 for a set im not sure about the rockers or the engines duribilty but you could stroke it and still put plently of boost to it and if i were building it i would get a high volume oil pump anyway just good insurence.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Teching In

check this out.. it should help you some what

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html
Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your eliminating the VVT, then it just becomes an LS3 with heavy valves, you can research ls3 stuff a lot better than L92 and not get bombed out with head information I would think. I would LOVE to have VVT on my truck, there is no way I would eliminate it ever!!!

Upgrade the pushrods to the thickest wall you can find, I went with Comps .105" wall

For the springs, I would get whatever your cam manufacturer recommended for your cam.

I think the oil pump is upgraded already because its designed with extra capacity to feed the cam phaser.

The stock rockers will work just fine, there aren't enough aftermarket rocker options yet.

I just did a CNC L92 swap on my truck, and love it. I had Lingenfelter do the work and add the lightweight LS3 valves, basically making them CNC LS3 heads.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

so the oil pump is okay if its just a vvt motor, arent the VVT/ D.O.D ones way high pressure and volume?

Quick Reply: L92 compared to the rest of the LS's...