Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think what they meant was that their tooling cost to work a LSX block was about twice as high as a normal Iron block, thereby cutting profitablity.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure if i believe that at all. I know not all blocks are the same but the LSX block is not made of unobtainium.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
If you do not know how to handle and machine iron or like to complain about it, then why stay in the biz? Alot of people complain because they like to complain. About everything.

You want good news, stay off the interenet. You want to hear bad news...stay on.
Good Quote! Sort of like the news as no one ever puts out a story of how good stuff is it seems!

On the LSX block of course they do not have it in two bore sizes like most of your other aftermarket blocks at say 3.990 and then say 4.115. So every single block has to be bored a LOT compared to the other stuff you sell there at Scroggins or TSP where it can simply be honed a few thousandths.

I have yet to do a 4.000 bore LSX out of like 80+ so far, so again it would be nice for GM to offer it like all of the other guys and have it at least in 4.115 bore as well since 90% of guys will go at least 4.125 bore on this block since that is one of the main advantages of the LSX block.

A lot of what we do with the LSX is even 4.155-4.185 so you are talking boring 8 holes .150-.180+ and then also honing which any idiot knows is way more expensive than just honing an LS2 or LS3 a few thousandths and then being done with it. Of course this is not saying anything bad about the quality but simply that there IS more machining cost on a block like the LSX that has to be taken to a much large bore right off the bat.

I think we have a problem of many people defending the block that have never even worked with them and are taking evey single complaint about them like it's about their own personal baby or something. It's just a block and it can be made better. This is another option GM should be offering and I am sure they will soon.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Im not sure if i believe that at all. I know not all blocks are the same but the LSX block is not made of unobtainium.
John, For your information there are at least 90 shops in Houston that could work on this LSX block. 98% of these use a conventional Rottler or Kwik-Way boring bar etc. to knock these out to size from their sub 4 inch rough state. 90% of these boring bars use brazed carbide tip cutters in the boring heads.

The LSX block is not the same iron as say a stock SBC unless you are saying it is garbage. Of course it is much harder as are the good bowtie blocks and DART and World and Brodix and Dartons etc. What do you think the rockwell numbers are on a stock SBC or SBF and then say an LSX?

Now with the LSX block you have to take .120-.180+ out of any 427 / 440 or larger and of course you have a lot more wear and tear and time boring a harder race block this much then say a relatively soft 6.0 block only .023 or so. The old brazed bits I used would be toast after one of these blocks went to 4.185 bore.

Again just the truth and not hard to understand that a much harder block being bored 6+ times as far over would take more time and wear out more bits than taking a regular block .020-.025 over. I mean is that hard to understand that boring something 6 times as much that is much harder is going to be more work?

I ended up getting some better cutters that can handle boring lots of these LSX blocks way over and it's no big deal but it is more time of course not less. Again if the blocks came like a DART or Word etc. at 4.115 as well we could kill a lot of the extra work at least and 4.125 bore would be a breeze.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually that is the biggest complaint that I get from LSX engine builders.

I can make some suggestion to the engineeers.

BTW, this thread was forwarded to the team. They do listen.

Thanks

Robin
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Yes Robin I don't even really consider that a complaint as it's just some extra work and has nothing to do with how good a block the LSX is. Customers however sometimes don't understand what it means to bore a block .180 instead of just honing it.

It would be a lot nicer for the real engine machine shops though if they had at least the 4.115 option to buy as well which would be every easy when GM is initially machining these since they are already being bored anyway.

I actually had one shop on here suggest I buy a 100+K CNC machine to do these blocks in! I asked him why when I already have a machine shop that can do every single other block we get. That shop is now bankrupt dead and buried anyway. Couldn't make all those CNC payments I guess!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Erik,

Everyone knows that if you have a CNC machine, that is all you need.
1) Put part in machine
2)Press magic button
3) Take completed part out
4)Sell and make huge profits

Old 10-03-2009, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Erik,

Everyone knows that if you have a CNC machine, that is all you need.
1) Put part in machine
2)Press magic button
3) Take completed part out
4)Sell and make huge profits

Hahahahahahaha, yes I wish I had a penny for everyone that's said those words and is gone now.

Seriously as well the LSX is already CNC machined so why would we "need" to re-CNC-machine it?

It only needs finishing besides the bore sizes and final deck height. Of course we use ARP bolts and line hone them as well like all blocks.

Now you want bigger lifter bores or crazy block lightening etc. the CNC machine is your friend. The BHJ Block tru still works fine too though and at a savings of 100K!

I love nice CNC stuff but it isn't always necessary.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a lot of good information in this thread.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was not saying they are trash. They do take work.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

I guess now that's it's cast in the USA, they are on back order. Wish the US could get their automobile **** together. Not surprised in the least to hear this.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
I guess now that's it's cast in the USA, they are on back order. Wish the US could get their automobile **** together. Not surprised in the least to hear this.
WOW. Stand up company moves production BACK to the USA and you have to talk trash because there is a delay in production during the move.
Try and think a little before you open your mouth next time
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by koolrayz
WOW. Stand up company moves production BACK to the USA and you have to talk trash because there is a delay in production during the move.
I guess I would have to agree with this statement...................
Old 10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Do the LSX blocks have 60 mm cam bores? Second, do they come with the standard .842 lifter bores?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

No they are still setup for factory #3 cam bearings and a 55mm cam and yes they are still normal GM .842 lifter bores.

Originally Posted by hsutton
Do the LSX blocks have 60 mm cam bores? Second, do they come with the standard .842 lifter bores?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I hear what you're saying but it never should have been produced there in the first place.
And the move should have been better planned to provide product during the move IMO.
I think before I open my internet mouth, I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tektrans
I hear what you're saying but it never should have been produced there in the first place.
And the move should have been better planned to provide product during the move IMO.
I think before I open my internet mouth, I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you.
If the existing solution has poor quality production, how would you do such a thing? You can't sell junk, right?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
If the existing solution has poor quality production, how would you do such a thing? You can't sell junk, right?
Please forgive me if I'm not well informed on this but are there major issues with these LSX blocks?? I know guys that are running them, read about well working combo's with those blocks all the time, I haven't read anything contrary to that, not even once-till now.
Is the production being bought back to the USA because of quality control (we'd all like to think that of course) or is it becasue of the result of Obama's push to bring back to the USA production of US automoblie product and his obvious influence on the american automobile industry as of late and the LSX block is just one of the many of US automobile product that will be affected in this manner?

Listen guys, I don't want to get into a bunch of crap on here, I just made a response based on my opinion earlier, it's obviously not being received well by you guys and in retrospect the response was off topic and counterproductive to what's being discussed in here.
I apologize.
Won't happen again in here.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...l#post12388507

check it out. first on scene! They are coming in in a somewhat steady motion, but the first ones in are already spoken for. PM or call us up to get on the list, more should be here in about 2 weeks or so!!!

and GO
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Launching!

I was amazed that GM would use foreign foundries to make this block. No wonder there were delays and waiting lists for people to get this block.

Quick Reply: Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???