Ed curtis,or other pros-6.0 l92 big hp questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Ed curtis,or other pros-6.0 l92 big hp questions

Hey all new guy here
Ive been lurking andfinally took the proverbial plunge and joined
I have a 6.0 im building,and im not sure if im going to stroke it yet,but presumming i am going with a 4.0 stroke what cam do you guys recommend for the following items
Engine breakdown is as follows
Compression will be 12.5-13 -1
Heads are ported l92s go 380- at 750"int-260 at 650"exh
Engine will use a carb -4150 style as required by class rules
More than likely going to go to performance inductions for an intake manifold,unless there are others out there im unaware of that will work?
Headers will be 1-7/8-2" primary for fox body chassis
Car with me can weigh as light as 2850 now as it sits with a 23sb chevy

My questions are
1- why do i not see anyone using big duration cams?
Im talking 270*-280* at 050" stuff
Im talking for a drag only heads up type car N/A or even with some nitorus use
If you have the heads for it,that dont stall up high, why not fill that cylinder with all you can?
Typical motors we are used to building, with cylinder heads with flow characteristics like these ,use alot more cam than i tend to see with ls stuff
Is there a difference between a ls 15* heads compared to a gen1 15*brodix for instance?i guess what im curious about is how does the engine know what make it is,and not just ant what works?

2-Does anyone modify the stock hyd roller lifters like i remember Ed Curtis and others used to back in the day for the ford 5.0 liter hyd rollers?
They used to be milled for lightness and if i remember correctly, they had some plunger tricks as well?

3-what is the weight difference between a gen 1 aluminum iron block motor compared to a gen 3 iron block-aluminum head motor-both being carb type?

4-intake manifold choices other than carys stuff-must be cast type intakes, NO sheet metal allowed

Sorry to be longwinded,but im just trying to figure all this out

Thanks
Crossbreed
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a couple of questions, if you are going with that big of a lift on a cam why not use a solid roller cam? also i understand the use of a 6.0l block, but if you are going to spend that amount of dough on a cam set-up why wouldnt you get a aftermarket block?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what i've been able to find out the heads stall above .700 lift. They also have possible reversion problems. The only choice on manifolds are the Vic jr, GM's, and Cary's for the cast type, and the plastic ones. If people are modifying the lifters no one is telling. Just run Morels.They are good for 400 lb springs. Ur heads are flowing well. I think the problem is what manifold will feed these heads. There is a reason GM abandoned the 92's on the LS7. On a side note most of the builds that I've seen are steert strip builds mine included.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always thought the L92's came after the LS7's.
I'm not sure why guys don't use bigger duration cams with these heads. I think I read somewhere that the better your heads are, the less cam you need.