Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

SPONSORS!!! I NEED Advice on my 427 NA build - Looking for 9's (Please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
I'll keep that in mind. In fact, I was just looking at your car in a magazine article today and Imust say, You've done a great job with the car man.
Also, I will look into Cartek and see what they have to say. I'm really looking into whats the best route and the more advice I get the better. I just want it done right and with no issues.
Thanks alot man!
Most of Carteks cars are street driven, as is mine and one I know of runs 8's and is street driven so if you are looking for a fast reliable street driven combo I would definately call them and see what they can come up with for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

ls7 440
lsxr 102 setup
tfs 235's (worked)
i think the texas speed ls7r cam would be perfect for a 440 with the best of both worlds.

if i was going na this is the setup i would be doing. to be honest, since your craving more horsepower after you 402 don't you think the same will happen with another na application when you get used to it? sell everthing and do a 347 d1sc setup ls6 intake, patriot heads and your goal will def be accomplished most
Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not been to the track with it yet. I am hoping to run it this season. It is a blast to drive on the street though. It pulls like you would not believe. I have a stage II ported LS7 intake from Jeremy F. that I am hoping to have installed in spring among some other items.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

^what are the specs of your build? do you have a thread on your setup? what are you expecting from the ported ls7 intake?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

The D1sc setup would be very nice, But i like NA better as I do not know anything about FI and would not know how to maintain the car at that point. If something was to go wrong!

As for an LS7 based engine, I would go that route if I could get rid of the dry oil sump system. But IDK if you can or not!

Thank You for your oppinions. Very Nice!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can easily make the power but like Tektrans says you need the car and suspension and tires as well to go single digits. The power would be fairly easy and I wouldn't even go 12 to 1.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Right now I have the stock 10 bolt with 3.42's. But before I get the car out this year, It will be a 9 inch. I am working with Eric at MWC to get a fab 9 with all the goodies in and on it. Along with a tunnel mount tq. arm and drag bar he offers. The front suspension will be ALL UMI (considering it's a street car I'm not gonna use solid rod ends on anything other than the lower A-Arms that they offer/come with). I'm working on getting that stuff as we speak, and I will have strange struts in the front as well as all of the rear suspension is already done, and will be complete when the MWC Fab9 goes into the car in the spring.

Also as for the SCR, I am running close to 12.1:1 now with my 403, so I'm not against running higher compression. Considering on a NA setup that will only help. And also, I will be selling my un-ported Fast 92 intake to my brother, and was gonna order the Ported FAST 92 from Ron at Vengeance simply b/c I'd only have $200 more in it by the time I sold mine to my brother. Unless I need to be looking into another intake to help this thing breathe??? Any oppinions?

As for the engine setup, I was thinking of an LS3 427 with TFS 235cc Heads and a custom grind cam, along with the compression somewhere close to the 12:1 +/- a little and with the Ported FAST 92/92 setup (or whatever is recommended)and 1 7/8" Longtube Headers and 3" TD's. Not to mention the transmission will probably be a BUILT 4L60E with a custom Converter (Need Help Here guys) or a TH400 with a Coan Stall. (custom Built for the application) and then The MWC Fab9 Rearend with a Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 3.70 gears (or whatever is prefered) Chassis Mounted Tq. Arm, and a FULL Suspension to top off the Project.

I guess you can say I'm just looking for any ideas or critics against what I am planning. I am open for all oppinions and just want a solid Combo. I have spoke with Chris at CC Performance Parts and we have figured out a few things and he is positive that Eric at HKE can get me into the 9's NA with a built 427. So I am SERIOUSLY thinking thats the route I will be going. But again, If someone can help with personal experience as to what it will take to reach 9's I'd love to hear the different ideas.

I haven't had the time to reach any of the other sponsors to hear their oppinions, due to me working during the day and when I get home the companies are usually closed.
So feel free to shoot me a PM if you are reading this with what you feel I will need to reach my goal, or what you can do for me.

Thanks

James
Hell, I think there's alot more et/mph in the car with changing your suspension around and the convertor/gear setup?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The dry sump system isn't an issue at all. LS7 setups can run the wet sump parts just like any other LSx engine.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
The dry sump system isn't an issue at all. LS7 setups can run the wet sump parts just like any other LSx engine.
Really?? Any more information on this would be VERY helpful.... I'd really prefer the LS7 platform over the LS3 427.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
You can easily make the power but like Tektrans says you need the car and suspension and tires as well to go single digits. The power would be fairly easy and I wouldn't even go 12 to 1.
I totally agree, Thats why I am trying to get as many ideas as possible. I know you are VERY knowledgable when it comes to building engines (1 of the best) and I must say, I have confidence in your work. In regards to that, I have been talking with Chris at ccperformanceparts and I have all the details saved and am very pleased with what he has said so far. Once I figure a few things out, I'm going to commit to a build! As for suspension and gears and tires I have NO idea what it will take, I just assume what I have now and what I will be adding later will get me there. IDK??? Suggestions?

Originally Posted by JPH
Hell, I think there's alot more et/mph in the car with changing your suspension around and the convertor/gear setup?
Any suggestions with which route to go? I don't know alot about suspension and how to make a car leave hard, I just know that I'm trying to throw parts at it and get it to perform. But I do know that without fine tuning it, I'll never reach my goals. Any suggestions on the suspension and stall/gear selection for this kind of setup?

When it is all said and done, here is my Final list of suspension mods! But please feel free to tell me what to change around and what to add. I need to get this right guys!

It will be....

In the front:
"UMI" K-Member / Upper A Arms / Lower A Arms
Strange Adj. Struts with 275# springs
BMR STB
No Sway Bar

In The Rear:
MWC Fab 9 (Detroit Locker, 35 splines, & 3.70's)with a Short Tq. Arm and back braced, and All the goodies that can be added except abs
MWC Anti Roll Bar for the rearend
"Dbl. Adj. CM Rod End" LCA's & PHB
UMI SFC's (2 Point style)
QA1 12 way shocks in rear
Stock Springs

15 x 4 Prostars in the front with front runner tires
15 x 10 Prostars in the rear with 27 x 10.5 x 15 MT ET Streets

6 point roll bar for this summer and a 10 point will be added later. (During My Next Winter Build)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Really?? Any more information on this would be VERY helpful.... I'd really prefer the LS7 platform over the LS3 427.
When you have it built just let the builder know it's a wet sump application. You can easily build the LS7 setups for wet sump instead of dry sump, it's not anything special to do. So, if you prefer the LS7 427 or 440 don't hesitate, it's a non issue. Then if you have the dough, run some LS7 heads. You can make the power you want so easily, and without the compression being high enough to make you uncomfortable

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds good! I appreciate the input & I will look into that for sure. Also would the LS7 Heads make more power than a set of TFS 235's or would I be limited on the LS7 as to what heads I have to use? (Could I use the TFS 235's or etc. or is the LS7 heads the only heads I can run???)

Sorry for all of the questions, I just never looked into the LS7 b/c of the oil system and was unaware that the LS7 could be built to run a conventional wet oil system. Although this makes me VERY happy.

Thanks Again!

James
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS7 block is $2750 and the LS3 is $1400 So your looking at adding $1350 to the cost of the build if you go LS7

You can run what ever head on top of the short block you want. Your intake is related to your head choice.

So if you want LS7 heads then you use an LS7 style intake, TFS are cathedral ports so have to run a cathedral port intake such as the FAST 92.

What would make more power? Probably the LS7's with a ported LS7 intake but HKE has seen 585 with TFS 235's on a 408. SDPC has some LS7 heads with titanium intakes valves for decent money as well so that is an option if you go with the 4.125 bore.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...here-sdpc.html

So you can save money on heads by going with the SDPC deal but you will add money buy going to the 4.125 bore. Set a budget in stone or you will keep spending more and more and then end up spending more than you want to

We'll build what ever you want, you know thats not an issue but you need to draw a line in the sand so you don't get carried away and then wind up not being able to finish the rest of the car. The LS7 has ups and downs to it as well and it has nothing to do with the crank. I'll pm you with some information to help.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I totally agree, Thats why I am trying to get as many ideas as possible. I know you are VERY knowledgable when it comes to building engines (1 of the best) and I must say, I have confidence in your work. In regards to that, I have been talking with Chris at ccperformanceparts and I have all the details saved and am very pleased with what he has said so far. Once I figure a few things out, I'm going to commit to a build! As for suspension and gears and tires I have NO idea what it will take, I just assume what I have now and what I will be adding later will get me there. IDK??? Suggestions?

Any suggestions with which route to go? I don't know alot about suspension and how to make a car leave hard, I just know that I'm trying to throw parts at it and get it to perform. But I do know that without fine tuning it, I'll never reach my goals. Any suggestions on the suspension and stall/gear selection for this kind of setup?

When it is all said and done, here is my Final list of suspension mods! But please feel free to tell me what to change around and what to add. I need to get this right guys!

It will be....

In the front:
"UMI" K-Member / Upper A Arms / Lower A Arms
Strange Adj. Struts with 275# springs
BMR STB
No Sway Bar

In The Rear:
MWC Fab 9 (Detroit Locker, 35 splines, & 3.70's)with a Short Tq. Arm and back braced, and All the goodies that can be added except abs
MWC Anti Roll Bar for the rearend
"Dbl. Adj. CM Rod End" LCA's & PHB
UMI SFC's (2 Point style)
QA1 12 way shocks in rear
Stock Springs

15 x 4 Prostars in the front with front runner tires
15 x 10 Prostars in the rear with 27 x 10.5 x 15 MT ET Streets

6 point roll bar for this summer and a 10 point will be added later. (During My Next Winter Build)
Let me go back and look at your current combo again, along with you new plans. Don't be afraid to look at some other vendors parts also. I might mention MADMAN, and Racecraft Inc.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
The LS7 block is $2750 and the LS3 is $1400 So your looking at adding $1350 to the cost of the build if you go LS7
This makes a good point, if you are going to go LS7 why not take advantage of the ability to run a 4.125 stroke on the LS7? Build a 441.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Me likey but the 4.125 crank is more than the 4.00 crank.. so if we keep adding features to it then we keep adding to the cost as well. If the budget would support it I would go to a 4.250 crank and produce one of our 457's for him.

But we need to draw a line in the sand we will not cross on the engine budget and then look at our options from there.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

JPH... Thanks and lmk please!

Chris... I see your point. I think I will just stick with the original plan and go with a LS3 427 with the TFS 235's so that I don't go over budget and will actually be able to finish the car as discussed. I'm really wanting to just do this build right this time and not have to go back and say " What if I did this? " With that said, I'll just stick with that setup.

Thank You everyone for the Advice and criticisms.
I owe you guys.

James
Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

JPH... Thanks and lmk please!

Chris... I see your point. I think I will just stick with the original plan and go with a LS3 427 with the TFS 235's so that I don't go over budget and will actually be able to finish the car as discussed. I'm really wanting to just do this build right this time and not have to go back and say " What if I did this? " With that said, I'll just stick with that setup.

Thank You everyone for the Advice and criticisms.
I owe you guys.

James
28" tall tire for sure to get this thing to hook. Double adjustable front struts be nice, I'd put a spool in it if it was mine, Trans-Brake, Yank or whomever 4200+ stall, and rear gearing in the 3:89-4:22 range imo.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We have our new 230mm converter that can be built in a ~5000 stall range that is perfect for an all out NA setup. We can even build it with a lock up clutch so you can drive on he street and get great MPG's. Shoot me a PM when you are ready and we can go over the options.

Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Me likey but the 4.125 crank is more than the 4.00 crank.. so if we keep adding features to it then we keep adding to the cost as well. If the budget would support it I would go to a 4.250 crank and produce one of our 457's for him.

But we need to draw a line in the sand we will not cross on the engine budget and then look at our options from there.
how much more is a 4.125 crank over a 4.0 crank??
And I suggested the 4.125 crank for the 1k+ for the LS7 block so in that case extra $$ is already being spent no?

Quick Reply: SPONSORS!!! I NEED Advice on my 427 NA build - Looking for 9's (Please Help)