Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New L96 RPO...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Congrats! Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? I went back and forth with them a few rounds on price early in the auction, but they wouldn't budge at the time. That thing was super clean. What are you putting it in?
I got it for $3700, + $250 SH So all total it hit me for $3950...

Well I got her picked yesterday from the freight company and drove back home to get it off my truck so I could drive to work with out that beast in the bed of my truck. If you buy a LS based motor, buy the LS storage stands off eBay ($40). Those thing are supporting the complete motor and attached trany no problem and that trany is HUGE..

So I looked it all mover and now I have some questions...
1) Does any one know the RPO code for the 6L90E? I know the 80E is MYC
2) The E38 ECM was included, but should there have been a separate TCM for the trany.
3) Does any one have access to a wiring harness schematic for the 2010 Savana so I can chase down the other 3 large connectors. One of them is fuse box I know for sure.. the other two One being "D" shaped and the third looks similar to the connections for the ECM.

I'll try to post some pictures by this weekend..
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Originally Posted by LS1MonteSS
I hope this goes a long way to putting my 70 Monte Carlo into the 20th century..
You mean bring it into the 21st Century. Your 1970 Monte Carlo was built in the 20th Century.

The TCM is mounted inside the transmission.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irish350
Id go longtubes or keep the manifolds. Unless what youre putting it in comes with tri ys a lot and you can change the flange. The manifold they come with is good, and length makes all the difference.
This thing is going in my 1970 Monte Carlo which has the old cast iron headers.. I did cone across a set of mid length that look like this...
I want the Old classic looking type lines but I want it brought up to date... The plan is to go all newer drive line and interior, custom headlights and tail lights and pull the bumpers in tight and flush mount the glass
Attached Thumbnails New L96 RPO...-l10026r.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know about a schematic for the 2010 savanna specifically, but this 2007 LY6 schematic will probably get you most if not all of what you need: http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/lsx...sSchematic.JPG
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99-2door
You mean bring it into the 21st Century. Your 1970 Monte Carlo was built in the 20th Century.

The TCM is mounted inside the transmission.
Thanks for pointing that out.. I thought about that like right after sent it and was like Homer Simpson "DOPE"
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The difference is likely AFM as they need to tighten up emissions each passing year
Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Idk how much of a performance gain you'll get, but those headers definitely look better than manifolds. Interested to see the bodywork too.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Smile

Originally Posted by Irish350
Idk how much of a performance gain you'll get, but those headers definitely look better than manifolds. Interested to see the bodywork too.
The body work is going to be a slow process.. I don’t have a garage to do all that in a controlled area yet.. I kinda pulled from my “garage” fund when I came across this motor/trany combo and I just couldn’t pass it up.. And of course there are the little things I’m collecting to get it in the car, A Body LS motor mounts, the headers, LS Alum Radiator and duel fans, ect…

I have been planning this the whole 20+ years I was in the Army.. Now that I’m retired and don’t have all the deployments to deal with or the moving every 3-6 years I can start pulling things together.

Not really looking for approval on my design as I know someone won’t like the things I going to do to a classic car, more over I’m here for advice and guidance on the mechanical aspect of things.

I was thinking of starting a thread or a page for the project build but I’m not sure how it would go over here at LS1Tech with it being a Monte Carlo..

I did disconnect and label all the individual connections from the engine wiring harness last night; well I labeled all the connections I know of. There was a hand full of loose connections that I’m not sure of. So I need to dig through my LS Swap Book and see if I can chase them down..

I called Schram Auto late yesterday and they had the “Under Hood Fuse Box” from the van the motor came from so I ordered that.. $85 and free S/H! They are looking into seeing if they can separate the dash wiring harness from the dash and selling it to me separately as I really don’t need the dash. There are three reasons I’m looking to get the original dash wiring harness.
1) It will connect to the original fuse box
2) It is straight foward in that it was a van with no real extra junk on it
3) Not sure how universal the fuse box connections are and not sure if I could mix and match.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Welcome
Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Irish350,

That was an awesome link... I'm still trying to take in all the info.. Oh yeah, the headers I was thinking of getting are for "NON" L92 heads.. So I need to touch base with them and see what they have.. \

How did you come by all that info?? I have searched for hours for that sort of info.

I think I found a semi-complete LS3 intake, less TB, but I'm think I can use the new one on my intake..

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just scored a L96 and 6L90E Complete with only 2 miles on the motor..
Once I get a chance to look at it close I"ll try to post some part numbers...
Excellent score !!!
I've been chasing the casting number or GM part number of the L96 iron block for awhile without success.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300
Excellent score !!!
I've been chasing the casting number or GM part number of the L96 iron block for awhile without success.
If it isn't raining when I get home I'll get the number and post it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

All right fellow swappers... I need a little assistance with my new L96...
I didn't get the MAF Sensor with the motor.. I have talked to Schram Auto to see if they can locate it, but that is a BIG if....
Does any one know what the 2010 Savana 3500 MAF Sensor part number is or where I could get it..
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it isn't raining when I get home I'll get the number and post it.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does any one know what the 2010 Savana 3500 MAF Sensor part number is or where I could get it..
Luckily the newer MAFs are typically under $100. If Schram said it would come with one, just have them take one from a different but similar engine and give it to you.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Luckily the newer MAFs are typically under $100. If Schram said it would come with one, just have them take one from a different but similar engine and give it to you.
Nah.. I checked the info on the auction..

"This auction is for a complete 6.0L L96 Engine paired with a 2WD 6L90 Hydra-Matic transmission. This lift out comes as pictured with all bolt on accessories, wiring harness, and ECM in excellent condition."

So that is splitting a fine hair on trying to get the MAF sensor and saying, "But your auction said!"...

The guy I have been talking to, Blake is a super guy.. He thinks that the MAF might have stayed with the filter assembly in cab portion that is remaining... They still had the engine bay fuse box, which he sent me.. I have him looking into the dash wiring for me now which will go along way toward setting up a large portion of my project.

Has any one heard of or used the digital MAF sensors?.. I was looking at a DBX85 & DBX97 this weekend.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

I'm still looking for a set of headers to fit the 92 heads.. those things have the "D" shaped exhaust ports.. Or could I use the LS1 headers? I just don't know if there would be any flow issues using the "O" shaped header flange on a "D" shaped exhaust port..
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some D port headers Ive seen, but the round work just fine. Im running round headers on mine.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
There are some D port headers Ive seen, but the round work just fine. Im running round headers on mine.
Thanks! I was looking into different headers last night.. I found that I have to look for Chevelle headers as the MC aren't as popular I guess.. These were all with the "Round" port flang..

LG Headers are awesome but at $1495.00 that is way too steep for my wallet!

Edelbrock has a nice set of 403 Stainless Steel headers, 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" that look ok.. I'm not crazy about the finish.. But I guess even the stainless Steel headers are going to change with use... $619.95

Kooks are 303 SS and for my 70' MC the headers had a crazy flat black/grayish ceramic coating on them as well that made them look like the old school Hooker headers... $995.57

I finely found some newer Hooker Steel headers that had the chrome like ceramic coating on them. They looked nice.. $679.95

I just want to check everything out before I plunk down my hard earned green backs.. I would like to hear both sides of the story..

Too bad some older 350 headers with a flang swap wouldn't work!!

Last edited by LS1MonteSS; 09-09-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
RWC
Staging Lane

So I looked it all mover and now I have some questions...
1) Does any one know the RPO code for the 6L90E? I know the 80E is MYC
2) The E38 ECM was included, but should there have been a separate TCM for the trany.
3) Does any one have access to a wiring harness schematic for the 2010 Savana so I can chase down the other 3 large connectors. One of them is fuse box I know for sure.. the other two One being "D" shaped and the third looks similar to the connections for the ECM.
The RPO code is MYD.

The TCM is inside the 6L90E transmission. That sounds like a great project that will keep you busy for some time and will be a good learning experience.

A small VVT cam would really wake it up if you're thinking in that direction.

Quick Reply: New L96 RPO...