Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My VA Speed Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
man you are really overthinking this oil deal-just go get some 40 weight synthetic and put in it.I've used just about every oil imaginable at one time or another-never really saw any difference in engine wear from one to another.I can tell you that our offshore marine stuff that makes over 600hp will run 400 hours at full load and not have any bearing problems with mobile 1.
I overanalyze everything I do man. Just my nature. Can't afford another build like this for a long time so I gotta make sure it gets what it needs.

I was thinking you said the bearings were showing some wear when you pulled it apart and I was using Mobil 1.

If 10w40 will provide enough support at cold start up for the bearing clearances then I'll go with that. If I need the 15w40 it makes the choice harder.

Should I get some Rotella 15w40 for the first oil change or have you ran enough oil through on the dyno that I can go with the good stuff right off the bat?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man you are really overthinking this oil deal-just go get some 40 weight synthetic and put in it.I've used just about every oil imaginable at one time or another-never really saw any difference in engine wear from one to another.I can tell you that our offshore marine stuff that makes over 600hp will run 400 hours at full load and not have any bearing problems with mobile 1.
Surprised???
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Surprised???
Inside joke?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0monsta
What do you guys think of Schaefferoil?
http://www.schaefferoil.com/engine_oils.html

Amsoil
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil

I want to run a synthetic 15w40 but it seems to be slim pickens. Schaefferoil.com has a 15w40 listed. I'd run Amsoil but hesitant because they only have 10w40. I don't want to run a 20w50 because I think it's too thick for cold startup. Not going to run Royal Purple. Any other 15w40s out there?

I think my coolant temps stay around 190-200 and oil temps get around 230.

Do yourself a favor and visit bobistheoilguy.com Lots of great lubrication related info there. There are also quite a few tribologists who are the experts of the site. You need to look at more than merely cold and hot viscosity. Most street motors do not need a 15w-40. The cold flow number does affect how the oil flows above freezing as well. For example a 5w-40 and 10w-40, the 5w will pump much faster in 50 degree temps than the 10w assuming that both are of the same type(base oil). Some believe that this equals less wear in the warm up cycle.

Also, there is ZDDP content and HTHS. In a high hp application you want the highest HTHS(high temp high shear) possible. High ZDDP is preferred as well, although more for flat tappet cams. Ester oils(POE being one example) have high HTHS compared to group III and IV in the same viscosity. Low volatility is also very important..... It's all a blancing act performed by the chemists. There is no magic oil, but there is a better oil for a given application. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

I overanalyze everything I do man. Just my nature. Can't afford another build like this for a long time so I gotta make sure it gets what it needs.

I was thinking you said the bearings were showing some wear when you pulled it apart and I was using Mobil 1.

If 10w40 will provide enough support at cold start up for the bearing clearances then I'll go with that. If I need the 15w40 it makes the choice harder.

Should I get some Rotella 15w40 for the first oil change or have you ran enough oil through on the dyno that I can go with the good stuff right off the bat?
the bearing were showing wear due to the fact that one-there was metal floating around from the timing chain problems,2-the motor had seen some detonation from the n2o not being tuned correctly.

the problem is everybody gets worked up by oil pressure numbers-all you need is oil at the bearing.doesn't really need to be pressurized
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
You need to look at more than merely cold and hot viscosity. Most street motors do not need a 15w-40. The cold flow number does affect how the oil flows above freezing as well. For example a 5w-40 and 10w-40, the 5w will pump much faster in 50 degree temps than the 10w assuming that both are of the same type(base oil). Some believe that this equals less wear in the warm up cycle.

Also, there is ZDDP content and HTHS. In a high hp application you want the highest HTHS(high temp high shear) possible. High ZDDP is preferred as well, although more for flat tappet cams. Ester oils(POE being one example) have high HTHS compared to group III and IV in the same viscosity. Low volatility is also very important..... It's all a blancing act performed by the chemists. There is no magic oil, but there is a better oil for a given application. Good luck!
The difference between a 5w and 10w above freezing is negligible. The polymers, which are responsible for the variable viscosity have little impact above freezing.

Personally, I like to run the thinnest 'w' during cold weather, but again, doesn't really matter to me this time of year.

PS, I do agree that thinner 'w' oil is far better during cold weather, as it's important to get it flowing asap. That's more important to bearing wear than overall viscosity.

PPS, Sorry for the total hijack of your thread Joe!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the setup. I would like to see an overlay of the dyno sheets between this engine and WKMD's
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

man you are really overthinking this
he overthinks everything. think about what i have to put up from him with me being his one and only friend. hahahahaha. it's all love joe.

Last edited by cammedc6; 04-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Brad Penn 15W-40

$4.58 a quart.

/
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=cammedc6;13147490]
man you are really overthinking this QUOTE]

he overthinks everything. think about what i have to put up from him with me being his one and only friend. hahahahaha. it's all love joe.
Much easier when you pay the shop you nutswing from to do everything on your car that your parents gave you the money for.

all love andrew

PS...I hope I drag your *** beotch.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Much easier when you pay the shop you nutswing from to do everything on your car that your parents gave you the money for.

all love andrew

PS...I hope I drag your *** beotch.
i hope you drag me finally...lol...****...i pay for all my own car parts...they don't pay for **** on my car b/c they think my car is exhaust only...hard for them to pay for **** they don't know about...all parts are from my hard earned money from working...that's why i am broke...damn money pit car...my parents only buy me groceries when they come up and visit b/c they love me..i don't ask them to...sorry if your parents don't love you...haha...but i still love you joe...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=cammedc6;13147764]

i hope you drag me finally...lol...****...i pay for all my own car parts...they don't pay for **** on my car b/c they think my car is exhaust only...hard for them to pay for **** they don't know about...all parts are from my hard earned money from working...that's why i am broke...damn money pit car...my parents only buy me groceries when they come up and visit b/c they love me..i don't ask them too...sorry if your parents don't love you...haha...but i still love you joe...
So just because they don't know where the money they give you goes that means they aren't giving you money for car parts?

Parents should stop loving you with groceries when you're a grown *** man lmao.

Damn I can't wait to spank that vette.

You're lucky I'm your only friend.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

So just because they don't know where the money they give you goes that means they aren't giving you money for car parts?

Parents should stop loving you with groceries when you're a grown *** man lmao.

Damn I can't wait to spank that vette.

You're lucky I'm your only friend.
no money they have given me goes to car parts...all my car parts are bought with my own money...plus i only get money for bday and xmas which isn't enough to pay for parts anyways since the vette is so expensive...not like they give me an allowance...i never got allowance as a kid anyways...wish they did...lol...if they did i wouldn't be where i am financially now...
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 277 Likes on 105 Posts

This thread is so classic for this site, I can't help but come back to it everytime I am on. And to think I posted in it. Damn, I am a sucker.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Groceries ?

lmao
Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thedak
Groceries ?

lmao
hell yea...they buy me groceries when they come up...that is $300-$500 i don't have to spend...i won't say no to it...they like to do it...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cammedc6
i feel for you man
Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

i feel for you man
I don't have good engines to compensate for me.......
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

I don't have good engines to compensate for me.......
you should be happy-i don't have any friends
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

you should be happy-i don't have any friends
You have Kevin.

Andrew is more trouble than he's worth. He over analyzes **** too. I just try to do the best I can at everything. And after spending a ton of money and waiting a couple months on an engine I want to make sure I do all I can to keep it in once piece. I ain't ashamed.

Quick Reply: My VA Speed Engine Build