Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rear crankshaft oil galley plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear crankshaft oil galley plug

I was removing my pilot bearing from the crankshaft, which was a bitch, and the pilot bearing puller I had would not work. A friend said to fill the pilot bearing with grease and push it out by tapping in the alignment tool. It did not work!! So now I am reading the GM manual and it says not to use the hydraulic method because it can cause damage to the crank. Further investigation reveals that the crank has an OIL galley plug in the end of it. I measured the depth and it is 1.75 from the end of the crank and the book says 1.25 from the end. I may have moved it? If I did move it will it cause any problems with oil flow to rear main bearing? Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't affect oil flow to the bearing, as it is simply a hole they use to gun drill the crank, but if the plug falls out (or in as it were) then you will have a gigantic hole in the back of the crank from which oil will spew from, and soak the clutch with oil. Not to mention that freeze plug rattling around in the crankcase. Not good on either account.

Quick Reply: Rear crankshaft oil galley plug