Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L33, stock bottom & new cam...mill the heads? (yes I searched LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L33, stock bottom & new cam...mill the heads? (yes I searched LOL)

Hey guys,

I tried searching around on here the best I could, and I couldn't find anything on the subject. Mostly the stuff was for 5.3 heads on an LS1 bottom.....so I thought I'd post this thread.

I'm interested in doing an L33 motor in my 66 Nova. LS1's are getting hard to find, and I want to stay aluminum for the weight savings (manual steering). Plus LS2's are $$$.

Sooo.....I'd like to get an L33. Put on an LS6 intake and throttle body (port the stock throttle body). And I'd put a cam in it (not sure exactly which one yet.....see question #3). I'd like to get as close to 400RWHP as possible, but I'm mainly focused on low end power with a nice broad curve.

So I have some questions.....

1. Is it useful to mill the heads to help out with the compression due to the dish pistons of the L33?

2. Are there any recommendations for any specific aftermarket heads instead of just milling the originals?

3. On top of #1 and #2, which cam would be a good recommendation for this motor? I'd like to get close to 400RWHP, but what is more important to me is a nice, low end power/torque cam.

4. With this smaller CID setup, is there any benefit of a FAST over doing an LS6 intake/TB?

Thanks!! And sorry for all of the questions!!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS6 intake won't fit the 3 heads. The LS3 intake will do what you want,as well as the stock cam. I didn't have my heads milled. The GM cnc LS6 heads were milled .060. If you were to do this you have to file down the dowels on the intake. Call SDPC and ask them if the GM cnc LS3 heads are milled.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
The LS6 intake won't fit the 3 heads. The LS3 intake will do what you want,as well as the stock cam. I didn't have my heads milled. The GM cnc LS6 heads were milled .060. If you were to do this you have to file down the dowels on the intake. Call SDPC and ask them if the GM cnc LS3 heads are milled.
he's referring to a 5.3L L33 motor....

L33 blocks have flat top pistons already, they are the HO 5.3 and have 243 or 799 heads. I am buildig a 5.3 right now too, LM4 block. I am putting flat top pistons in it and millig the heads a little to bump up compression. I am using 706 casting heads and having them ported, also using 2.00 intake valves. I only did this cause i had a junk set of 241 heads laying around with good intake valaves. I was lookig for a set of 243 or 799 casting heads to put on it but I ran out of patience trying to find a good deal on them.

I am putting a 221/221 .556/.556 cam in it, not sure how well it willl work but I got it cheap from a friend. It's a fairly mild cam(from what I'm used to anyway) but it used to be a popular LS1 cam before everyoe started using big sticks, it's the comp b1 grind. I have no idea what to expect power wise so maybe someone with some experience with using the 5.3's can chime in.

Last edited by Daniel_z28; 04-25-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: L33, stock bottom & new cam...mill the heads? (yes I searched LOL)