Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sucks to hear man, f**k oil leaks suck, most of mine have been from lack of ventilation ...good luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Launching!

My mistake was not seeing two dipstick holes-- one in the block and one in the pan. If you have a crate block then the hole not necessary for the application will not be plugged. Crankshaft sling will spray the underside of the headers.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 PM
-J-
Teching In

bringing this thread back from the dead.... So after reading all these posts, I'm hoping that I was just having some pressure build up in the crank case and pushed some oil out of the rear main and not that the seal is bad. I have an L92 and the driver's side valve cover vents into the stock location on the intake, the pass I just capped off. No leak till the motor went past 6k rpms. Would this cause enough pressure to leak out the rear main? Is the seal possibly still ok? Final question; if this got on my clutch, am I totally screwed? Obviously I don't want to pull the motor if I don't have to.... but whatever needs to happen.

**edit, I also have an LS1 oil pan.

Last edited by -J-; 01-30-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happened to me. I ASSumed my seal was bad because the motor had sat for several years, but in reality I deleted the PCV and changed to sheetmetal valve covers that were not vented. On first start, the seal started dripping pretty heavily and I went through pulling my trans to replace it (seal was perfect). After adding breathers to the valve covers, the problem never recurred. I'd try wiping it all down and adding a vent or PCV and see what happens before initiating the trans thrash...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 PM
-J-
Teching In

I'm hoping for the best. I will prob look at it tomorrow. I just REALLY hope it did not get on my clutch.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

My newly assembled motor is doing the exact same thing as OPs. Starter is wet, oil is flung inside the bellhousing but the converter and flexplate are dry. **** is weird.

My PCV is: stock line from the TB to the front of the passenger intake. Back to valve cover spots connected together by a rubber hose. LS6 valley cover (newer style) running the short hose (GM part) to the intake neck. Is this causing my problem?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK, the Thunder kit has the valve cover plugs included. They are to plug the two rear hoses on the valve covers. Leading me to think linking the valve covers together is incorrect, a mistake me and the OP made. Im going to disconnect mine ASAP and plug them. Maybe this will fix the oil pushing out of the rear.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

The crankcase has to vent, preferably to the PCV system or through purpose-built breathers. If not, maybe the front or rear seal will give or the dipstick will blow out. Ever watch tractor pulls? Granted these guys are jamming 150# plus boost, but their crankcases are pressured up so much the vent tubes look like steam jets!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whats particular about these situations is that the rear main is dry, and so is basically everything else, yet oil is slung inside the bellhousing. My converter and flexplate are dry as well but literally directly above them almost defying gravity oil hangs from the bellhousing. Obviously its getting pushed out at high rpm only but what is incorrect in the very basic PCV system thats causing this?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Whats particular about these situations is that the rear main is dry, and so is basically everything else, yet oil is slung inside the bellhousing. My converter and flexplate are dry as well but literally directly above them almost defying gravity oil hangs from the bellhousing. Obviously its getting pushed out at high rpm only but what is incorrect in the very basic PCV system thats causing this?
Interesting! I wonder if the O-ring is missing on your cam sensor? I found it so strange that the cam sensor passes through a (free air) opening in the rear of the block before plugging into the main boss that I remembered this oddity. I'm thinking if the O-ring is missing or damaged, it may leak out the rear of the block above the rear main housing plate.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-100_0747s.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good thing is I built the motor thats in my car car so I can in fact answer the question that yes, the cam sensor o ring is intact.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having the exact same crap,New LSX stroker,FI(Turbo) setup, barely 400 miles on it Dual Catchcans that suppose to help with the pcv ****,But spitting oil out the back upon making boost,Tired of wiping and Cleaning,So yanked the Tranny out today,And found the same ****, rearmain seal relatively clean,Flexplate,converter,etc.BUT the bolts on the rear cover were dripping with oil,wiped everything down reinstalled the flexplate,crank it up ran for 5mins,removed flexplate to inspect rearmain seal and it was clean,So I'll be removing the cover tommorrow to check that O-ring,And I sure hope it's there cause I just paid sum good money to a certain Builder out in Texas to build this motor SURELY THEY did'nt leave it out,So maybe we can figure this out so we can help someone else prevent this..see pics
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-lsx-pcv-pics-003.jpg   Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-lsx-pcv-pics-007.jpg   Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-lsx-pcv-pics-002.jpg   Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-lsx-pcv-pics-008.jpg   Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?-lsx-pcv-pics-006.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racecar
Interesting! I thought that the more vacuum that you pull on the crankcase, the better. But at high rpm, there is little or no vacuum so a vent would be good. I will try that. Where do you tap this fresh air. In front of the throttle blade so it is not pulled by vacuum? My 90 mm TB has no port to tap into fresh air..
My 90 mm had a fitting on the top for fresh air to the engine. This hose ran to the front of the pass valve cover. I 've since deleted this and added a breather on the back of the pass valve cover. All other holes on the covers are closed. I also bought a new canister type pcv valve. The stock type was leaking around the slip on rubber part. I never did figure out the cable type clamp holder on the stock system. GM eng at its best.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought some new LS6 valve covers that have the back ports blocked off. So I'm gonna see if this solves my issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribing because my 416 should be done within 4 weeks by AES. I have an old cover that I was going to clean up and install a new seal, or should I buy a new cover with the seal installed already?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

installing the seal is no big deal. The new covers come with a plastic disc that holds the seal lips and keeps them from folding over.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I installed my LS6 valve covers yesterday with the blocked off rear ports and I believe that solved my oil pushing issue....woohoo!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
-J-
Teching In

Well so far, I think I fixed my issue. I have the driver's side valve cover into the stock location on the intake and my passenger side has a breather/filter on it. Now as far as where the oil came from.... I pulled the motor thinking I had to replace my rear main. It was bone dry and looked fine, but 2 of my flywheel bolt holes were full of oil. Cleaned everything up and RTV'd the bolts/holes and so far no leaks and the motor has seen approx 6500RPM's. oh, and my clutch is fine.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on installing the seal....rubber mallet and a shirt to lay the cover on....few taps and it's in...

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks !@# Is the L92 rear cover different?