Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what weight oil do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patman is also a member or bobistheoilguy. He is a knowledgable guy, but like most of us has gained a great deal of knowledge from tribologists and industry experts who frequent that oil site. The most important thing to remember is that there is no magic oil. There are oils that are better suited for a given application yes, but all we have on this site anymore is anecdotle evidence which means nothing. So your motor ran on 50wt for quite some time. Big flippin deal. Of course it did. Do you have data showing that it was better than a good 5w-30??? Was there any gained benefit to this!? Probably not. Fwiw this is not aimed at one person, just a general response to several posts.

Dave over at Redline Oil saw absolutely no reason whatsoever to run a 50wt in my 1200hp turbo motor in the dead of summer in arizona. He indicated it was much to viscous for a LS motor and that there would be no gain in protection. People here need to look past the "heavier the better" and into finding a quality oil with a robust additive package in the proper viscosity range. Start looking at things like the oils HTHS rating. This is very important, yet most don't even know what it means. What about volatility? ZDDP content??? Flash point.......We could go on and on. An oils anti wear ability is way beyond the stated viscosity. It's the additive package coupled with a good base oil. Oil is complicated and the life blood of your engine. Don't you think it would be in your best interest to learn more about it?

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 07-02-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shell Rotella 15-40 here. I am using the non syn type, but will switch to their syn. formula. Shell is a big customer of my job.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Shell Rotella 15-40 here. I am using the non syn type, but will switch to their syn. formula. Shell is a big customer of my job.
This oil is an excellent oil to use that will work great for the street and trac...
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Patman is also a member or bobistheoilguy. He is a knowledgable guy, but like most of us has gained a great deal of knowledge from tribologists and industry experts who frequent that oil site. The most important thing to remember is that there is no magic oil. There are oils that are better suited for a given application yes, but all we have on this site anymore is anecdotle evidence which means nothing. So your motor ran on 50wt for quite some time. Big flippin deal. Of course it did. Do you have data showing that it was better than a good 5w-30??? Was there any gained benefit to this!? Probably not. Fwiw this is not aimed at one person, just a general response to several posts.

Dave over at Redline Oil saw absolutely no reason whatsoever to run a 50wt in my 1200hp turbo motor in the dead of summer in arizona. He indicated it was much to viscous for a LS motor and that there would be no gain in protection. People here need to look past the "heavier the better" and into finding a quality oil with a robust additive package in the proper viscosity range. Start looking at things like the oils HTHS rating. This is very important, yet most don't even know what it means. What about volatility? ZDDP content??? Flash point.......We could go on and on. An oils anti wear ability is way beyond the stated viscosity. It's the additive package coupled with a good base oil. Oil is complicated and the life blood of your engine. Don't you think it would be in your best interest to learn more about it?
So why dont you explain some of this. Because in none of your posts did you mention any hard evidence yourself.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What I am saying is well docummented on BITOG. I trust the industry experts concerning oil. An LS motor(stock clearanced) is spec'd for a 30wt. End of story. It has nothing to do with how much HP it's making. What more proof are you looking for?? Most people here don't know anything about oil and it shows. No study is required to know 50wt oil is much to viscous for 99% of the engines here. Engineers and engine builders have come to this conclusion via "data". The opposite is true of the people that believe it is providing some kind of magical "extra protection". They aren't tearing motors down, doing hundreds of UOA's and compiling all of this data now are they!? To them a 50wt is better because old "uncle romulus" used it for years and never had a problem. That's profound isn't it.........
Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5w-30 Amsoil in my Camaro, Silverado, and Sonoma.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last year we ran 15/40 Rotella with EOS, this year we switched to Brad Penn SAE 50wt racing oil. Its just under 4 bucks a quart.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
What I am saying is well docummented on BITOG. I trust the industry experts concerning oil. An LS motor(stock clearanced) is spec'd for a 30wt. End of story. It has nothing to do with how much HP it's making. What more proof are you looking for?? Most people here don't know anything about oil and it shows. No study is required to know 50wt oil is much to viscous for 99% of the engines here. Engineers and engine builders have come to this conclusion via "data". The opposite is true of the people that believe it is providing some kind of magical "extra protection". They aren't tearing motors down, doing hundreds of UOA's and compiling all of this data now are they!? To them a 50wt is better because old "uncle romulus" used it for years and never had a problem. That's profound isn't it.........
Agree 100%...I have a friend who is a lab tech for Stewart Warner, they did a TON testing on various oils and found that 5w30 is an excellent weight for just about ANY motor. The 20w50 is like sludge unless the temperatures are extremely high, much higher than any motor should be at operating temperature.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I spoke with the General Manager at Joe Gibbs racing fluids yesterday; here's what he recommended to me for my crate LS6 motor when racing:
"While our oils may seem thinner at ambient temperature, our oils are resistant to change with increased temperature and shear, so our oils provide better all around protection - better flow at initial start-up and protection at high temperature.

For your engine, I would run the XP3 or XP6 based on the oil temperatures you see. If your oil temps are in the low to mid 200's (200 to 240) the XP3 is the best oil for you. If you are seeing oil temps over 240F, run the XP6."

So it looks like I'll be switching oils

Quick Reply: what weight oil do you run?