Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2006 GTO OverHeating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2006 GTO OverHeating?

well i've been doing some reading but have yet stumbled upon someone with the same problem.. the car (2006 GTO) will overheat after drive around the block then idling.. if i start the car and let it idle it will reach 208 which is when the fans turn on and fall to 196 which is the turn off point.. once i drive the car and temp goes over 208 it will not go down and start overheating. the motor is a 408, stock ported heads and intake with a d1sc procharger..i've already changed the thermostat, radiator, water pump, head gaskets, and added a fan(pusher) infront of radiator... any information will be greatly appreaciated.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure the head gaskets are sealing good? Might be pushing the water out?

What has changed when this started happening? Or have you noticed anything different in the way it runs?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good cap? Antifreeze good?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Answer these?

When it does overheat, does the coolant boil over/out? Or does it just get hot and NOT loose coolant and not bubble and make noise in the radiator?

When you take the cap off (cold engine) and start it up and wait for the engine to reach operating temp....do you see the coolant flow i nthe radiator? AND....does the coolant level stay topped off or does it drop down?

edit......anything, like a bag or newspaper, jammed up in front of your condensor.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

why isn't the fan turned on at a lower temp? I think 179º is the lowest they can turn on at with E38 PCM, it should be adjusted to that temp.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by davidws6
You sure the head gaskets are sealing good? Might be pushing the water out?

What has changed when this started happening? Or have you noticed anything different in the way it runs?
When we replaced the head gaskets we had the heads milled .005" just to make sure there wasnt anything wrong with the heads. The car still runs good and all but heats up.

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Good cap? Antifreeze good?
Cap and antifreeze with water wetter are all new. Actually it is the second new cap.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Answer these?

When it does overheat, does the coolant boil over/out? Or does it just get hot and NOT loose coolant and not bubble and make noise in the radiator?

When you take the cap off (cold engine) and start it up and wait for the engine to reach operating temp....do you see the coolant flow i nthe radiator? AND....does the coolant level stay topped off or does it drop down?

edit......anything, like a bag or newspaper, jammed up in front of your condensor.
1. it doesnt loose coolant and havent noticed any boiling or radiator noise.

2. yes the coolant flows and stays topped off.

3. nope.. nothing infront of radiator.

Originally Posted by AES Racing
why isn't the fan turned on at a lower temp? I think 179º is the lowest they can turn on at with E38 PCM, it should be adjusted to that temp.
doesnt make a difference.. i tried turning them on with the scanner at 130 and temp still goes up... takes a lil longer but same result.

Today im gonna try just changing the temp sensor and if that doesnt work some different heads.. thank you for ya'lls input.. i really appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

wat if the sensor is bad on the head? could that be the case? because your not losing water or coolant not bubbling over you say new radiator
have you pressure checked it?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1904gto
wat if the sensor is bad on the head? could that be the case? because your not losing water or coolant not bubbling over you say new radiator
I was going to recommend this too.
If nothing else it seems like you have replaced most other parts with new.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably a bad (new) t-stat.

Next time it gets hot, like up above 220*, pull over, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake. If you can leave your hand on the intake for more than 10 full seconds....you're not getting hot. Go get a new temp sensor. If you can't keep your hand on there for more than a few full seconds......get a new t-stat.

You can also take the t-stat out, hook the housing and hose back up. Go for a drive on the highway at steady cruise speed for 15 minutes. If temps stay normal, get a new t-stat. (in the city, stop and go, without the t-stat, you'll get hot, so don't do that too long).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This may sound dumb but did you change the thermostat, radiator, water pump, head gaskets, and added a fan(pusher) infront of radiator after it started to overheat or was that done when you put the 408 in? And were these aftermarket parts?

I ask because I chased my tail on our truck FOREVER because the water pump was leaking so I went to autozone and got a new one along with a t-stat. Put it in and the truck kept overheating. I wasn't losing coolant at all though this time. Confused the heck out of me until I finally pulled the water pump back off and the impeller part was loose from the pulley part if that makes sense? So in other words, I could turn the pulley part and it wasn't moving the impeller... Now I always check to make sure they are moving together haha. Anyways, the chances of that happening twice are pretty rare I'm sure but it might be a thought if it gets down to it I guess.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot the head temps with an infared heat gun and the should be within 5* of coolant temp to verify CTS accuracy.. I shot the CTS on mine and it was dead on with my temp guage....
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1904gto
already changed the ECT sensor.. pressure checked it as well and everything is fine... i think.. it held pressure so i'm assuming its good.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Probably a bad (new) t-stat.

Next time it gets hot, like up above 220*, pull over, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake. If you can leave your hand on the intake for more than 10 full seconds....you're not getting hot. Go get a new temp sensor. If you can't keep your hand on there for more than a few full seconds......get a new t-stat.

You can also take the t-stat out, hook the housing and hose back up. Go for a drive on the highway at steady cruise speed for 15 minutes. If temps stay normal, get a new t-stat. (in the city, stop and go, without the t-stat, you'll get hot, so don't do that too long).

i thought it was a bad new thermostat.. its the second new stat in there but no luck..

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
This may sound dumb but did you change the thermostat, radiator, water pump, head gaskets, and added a fan(pusher) infront of radiator after it started to overheat or was that done when you put the 408 in? And were these aftermarket parts?

I ask because I chased my tail on our truck FOREVER because the water pump was leaking so I went to autozone and got a new one along with a t-stat. Put it in and the truck kept overheating. I wasn't losing coolant at all though this time. Confused the heck out of me until I finally pulled the water pump back off and the impeller part was loose from the pulley part if that makes sense? So in other words, I could turn the pulley part and it wasn't moving the impeller... Now I always check to make sure they are moving together haha. Anyways, the chances of that happening twice are pretty rare I'm sure but it might be a thought if it gets down to it I guess.
everything was done when it started overheating... after the 408 was already installed.

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Shoot the head temps with an infared heat gun and the should be within 5* of coolant temp to verify CTS accuracy.. I shot the CTS on mine and it was dead on with my temp guage....
we've tried 2 different ect sensors, aside from the one that was originally on the car and all 3 have read the same.. with the same results dont think its going to be the problem..

However i was reading in another forum that the fans procharger supplies tend to go out at time.. no completely die but not flow the cfm they are supposed to.. going to give spal a call tomorrow and see what they tell me.. i'll keep ya'll informed.. thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Default My baby is overheating

I'm having the same problem. I took off the cap and when it reached op temp the fluid did drop. What does that mean?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM

My stock '06 loses coolant when it overheats. It seems to be leaking from the reservoir, but I pulled it and no problem there. It does boil over. I changed the water pump, and T-stat, and can't see any other ares that are leaking. No water in the oil either.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Are you sure you installed the correct head gaskets?

Quick Reply: 2006 GTO OverHeating?