Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Those with ERL superdeck blocks.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
I wouldnt go over 370ci. Mine is a 364ci, not sure what Koolrayz is using.
Why is that exactly? I am interested in hearing your reasoning behind this.

Originally Posted by LSmonster
I've used a lot of them and they work great! Even their "Dry Sleeve" holds up very well. Here is a boost motor with 850 HP with a Dry Sleeve block and my customer beats the crap outta it... No issues!

Attachment 241386
I've always really liked those wilson V force throttle bodies. I was planning on running one a while ago on my 93, but decided to go another route.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

I've always really liked those wilson V force throttle bodies. I was planning on running one a while ago on my 93, but decided to go another route.
I looked at quite a few different setups before finally settling on a ERL LS2 364ci motor+a 88mm turbo. I like that in my case and many other 370's, we are using a longer rod(more durability). This was my main concern. I know a lot of people say the longevity betweeen a 370 and let's say a 427ci motor is the same, but I tend to disagree.

Along with that you also have to evaluate your goals with the setup. My goals are to run a mid 8 in the 1/4 with a/c which few have done. A 370ci motor with a 4788 has been right around this time,(without a/c) so I knew there was really no gain to be had going to a 408 or 427 and larger turbo.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I looked at quite a few different setups before finally settling on a ERL LS2 364ci motor+a 88mm turbo. I like that in my case and many other 370's, we are using a longer rod(more durability). This was my main concern. I know a lot of people say the longevity betweeen a 370 and let's say a 427ci motor is the same, but I tend to disagree.

Along with that you also have to evaluate your goals with the setup. My goals are to run a mid 8 in the 1/4 with a/c which few have done. A 370ci motor with a 4788 has been right around this time,(without a/c) so I knew there was really no gain to be had going to a 408 or 427 and larger turbo.
Most 370ish engines I see are running a 6.125 rod much as most of any other 9.24 deck height builds. I think you perhaps mean a slightly larger compression height? I think with the longer sleeves of a resleeved block you could run more stroke, a shorter rod, a larger compression height piston, and have similar longevity to an oem stroke engine.

I have similar goals for my 93 although they are a little more extreme. 7.9x with the S95, AC, PS, and a stock appearing interior minus the rear seats. I'm planning on a 3.9 stroke, 6.100 rod, custom piston engine that should have a relatively nice 1.165 CH versus something like yours at 1.304.

I'm not sure of the process you went about deciding on an engine, but I think you might have selected the turbo first. Then, based your engine around that. Why not build an ideal engine for a forced induction application and then scale your turbo around the engine? Even if you are limited to a GT4788 sized turbo there's quite a few options. A larger engine will require less pressure / boost / stress to achieve the same goals. Less stress in the long run equates to greater durability. You could have at least gone with a 4.125 bore / 388ci and had a larger cylinder head selection.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i ever had the cash laying around. i would love a mild ERL 500 in a 67 camaro. until then . ill keep dreaming
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Either approach will work. I chose a 364ci motor due to the fact that it would more than accomplish my goals of running mid eights. I did not however choose the 4788 until later in the game. I had PT88 but realized it wouldnt give me the power needed and too much back pressure. My cage is certed to 8.50 and I dont want to go to a 25.5 or 25.3 car. Thats no longer a street car. Don't care if it has a/c or not.

Im not worried about the additional stress from the turbo as this engine has been overbuilt by ERL. MightyMouse and I have almost identical motors(except mine has been oringed) and he has yet to see any issues with his long block running a PT88 all out. He has has cylinder head issues (had some cracking going on). At the end of the day both combos have their place. If I wanted to dig into the 7's and have a trailered car, then a 427 with a larger turbo would have been the natural choice. That's not what I wanted to do. What I have will be faster than 99% of the FI LS1 cars out there and Im content with that.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

Yep. Running fuel through the rotors really helped cool this blower down. Wilson 2008 CFM T/B and I batch fired the injectors through the rotors. You could flog the engine and the blower case would not get nearly as hot as compared to direct port injection set-up.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to hijack the thread but an open question for ERL. According to your website, the Superdeck system can be used on LS1,2 3 & 7 blocks. Will using an LS1 block provide equal strength as the later model blocks?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 AM
FormerVendor

You can also ask LSmonster as well because we've sleeved allot of LS1/LS6 blocks for him in the past using our Superdeck 1 sytem sleeving and I haven't seen any differences. By the time we are finished machining everything there really isn't anything different between the LS1/LS6 and the late model LS2,3 blocks that have our Superdeck 1 system installed. Iwould say that the only block we won't touch is the 1st gen LS1. That block does have issues. We sleeve the LS1 2nd gen which is the same as the LS6 on up.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
You can also ask LSmonster as well because we've sleeved allot of LS1/LS6 blocks for him in the past using our Superdeck 1 sytem sleeving and I haven't seen any differences. By the time we are finished machining everything there really isn't anything different between the LS1/LS6 and the late model LS2,3 blocks that have our Superdeck 1 system installed. Iwould say that the only block we won't touch is the 1st gen LS1. That block does have issues. We sleeve the LS1 2nd gen which is the same as the LS6 on up.
I'm assuming by 1st gen you mean the 97/98 blocks?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COPO9560
I'm assuming by 1st gen you mean the 97/98 blocks?
To be safe, yes. There is one very early block you want to avoid, totally. I'll see if I can get a pick of it. The other LS1 blocks are fine for modifying to a Super Deck block.

I have one of the very first ERL blocks that was a GEN II LS1 and it's still going strong. 443" with a 4.200 bore and blower putting out over 1000 HP in a Sand Car. There is not a more abusive platform than a off road or Sand car... And I built that engine over five years ago!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Either approach will work. I chose a 364ci motor due to the fact that it would more than accomplish my goals of running mid eights. I did not however choose the 4788 until later in the game. I had PT88 but realized it wouldnt give me the power needed and too much back pressure. My cage is certed to 8.50 and I dont want to go to a 25.5 or 25.3 car. Thats no longer a street car. Don't care if it has a/c or not.

Im not worried about the additional stress from the turbo as this engine has been overbuilt by ERL. MightyMouse and I have almost identical motors(except mine has been oringed) and he has yet to see any issues with his long block running a PT88 all out. He has has cylinder head issues (had some cracking going on). At the end of the day both combos have their place. If I wanted to dig into the 7's and have a trailered car, then a 427 with a larger turbo would have been the natural choice. That's not what I wanted to do. What I have will be faster than 99% of the FI LS1 cars out there and Im content with that.
This is what I don't understand about these kind of combos though. Why not build something like koolrayz's setup 427, 4 bolt heads, GT55: 8.90@157 1.41 60' only 15psi @#3730. I am guessing you have a forged crank in your engine. There is not a cost difference between a 4 inch crank and a 3.622 nor is there between 4 and 4.125 pistons. 6 Bolt heads are all in the same price range perhaps a $200 or so difference between them. You have a billet wheeled GT47 which I'm sure wasn't cheap. His combo is knocking on what you are aiming to do with a 4 bolt setup, 15psi, and at 3730 lbs.

Honestly, how much boost do you think it is going to take for you to get into the 8.50 range on your engine. The issues Mighty Mouse has been having with his heads started with the seats taking a beating from, "inadequate valves" and then the extra head bolt cracked. Do you think it would do that if it was flowing the same amount of air through it, but at a lower pressure rating?

The other advantage is say you get to 8.50 and that gets old. How much can you turn up the wick before you start running into issues? I'm not knocking this at all as it should run very quickly, but in spending the same amount it doesn't make sense to me to limit yourself.

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Yep. Running fuel through the rotors really helped cool this blower down. Wilson 2008 CFM T/B and I batch fired the injectors through the rotors. You could flog the engine and the blower case would not get nearly as hot as compared to direct port injection set-up.
I was planning on using one to control 4 extra injectors through an aftermarket piggy back unit. Instead I'm planning on having my current intake bunged for 8 extra injectors and running two of the units. There's a lot of little details in it that I don't want to let out of the bag yet.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see your logic and yes, if I planned on going faster than 8.50,which my cage is certed to, then I would have gone with a 427 and a larger turbo. The Precision GT4788 with billet wheel is $2,600, so yeah it aint cheap lol. Mightymouses head cracking issue was traced to poor castings if I remember correctly, and he tuliped some valves from overheating,beating on them. The setup I am building has already gone 8.8's in the cookie monster ta, and is said to have a lot more in it.

I did opt for a forged crank in my ERL shortblock. This is where my build differed from Mightymouses, as he uses the stock crank. To get close to 8.50 I am guessing 25psi is about right from the cars I have seen in this range. The GT4788 non billet wheel has gone 8.8's all day long with a 370ci E85 and 15psi. And honestly I would be very pleased to run those times. This car will never really be a dedicated race car. Just insane street/track mochine!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

lots of great info in here thanks!!
vette doctors are building me a custom ls6 based 427 sleeved aluminum block with the 6 bolt setup, billet main caps ton of machining n tricks .. We will be using the LSX heads.
Going to be a turbo setup most probably the HP twin 67 kit.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

HKE 468 built on an ERL Superdeck 1 block. Erik said ERL's work was top notch and he didn't have to redo the work they did.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

He had to open up the cam journals more on my erl block.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by delphigto
He had to open up the cam journals more on my erl block.
Actual cam was slightly big and bearings were slightly small so we took .001 off the cam journals.

Have to do it every once in a while for different reasons but it has nothing to do with ERL. Their work is very nice as always.

Most people simply don't check any of this which is also one of the reasons you see these phantom spun cam bearings.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Is there any reason I would not want to use a 482ci ERL Superdeck 2 in my street car?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn! 482 CID in a street car=rocket ship. Do it!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nl12
Is there any reason I would not want to use a 482ci ERL Superdeck 2 in my street car?

Cubes are your friend. As long as it's built and spec'd properly you will make a ton of torque and horsepower.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
Actual cam was slightly big and bearings were slightly small so we took .001 off the cam journals.

Have to do it every once in a while for different reasons but it has nothing to do with ERL. Their work is very nice as always.

Most people simply don't check any of this which is also one of the reasons you see these phantom spun cam bearings.
I do that quite often also, especially with aftermarket cams. I had a Lunati cam once that was .0015" bigger on the journals than a typical Chevy cam.

But you do have to make sure it's a sizing problem and not a "cocked" installed cam bearing.

How much cam bearing clearance do you like to see? How much do you think is too much?

Quick Reply: Those with ERL superdeck blocks.....