Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

4xx motor/TSP Cam Concerns/Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This cam has been working out so far, has good low end, and screams on the top end. I will let you know track results ASAP.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
john are u saying this cam would not be good in a normal weight street car?
No I think this cam would work pretty well for an aggressive street/strip car. It just seemed like a lot of people in the thread were worried that it was too large for the street, which I do not agree with, especially for the setup it was specced for.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tunink
This cam has been working out so far, has good low end, and screams on the top end. I will let you know track results ASAP.
Nice! I have been wondering how your car was doing since we specced this cam for it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Nice! I have been wondering how your car was doing since we specced this cam for it.
Drivability is actually great.

We ran into an issue in regards to the car torquing over and the fender wells cutting my Hoosiers. So we installed the anti-roll bar and coil overs over the weekend.

Today was the first time I've driven the car with the car hooking up and actually going straight...

All I can say is holy... ****.. I've the car is an absolute raped ape, and on a 2.73 rear end gear! We have the rev limiter set at 6500 for the moment (for break in purposes), but this has to honestly be the fastest car I have ever driven or ridden in. My TH350 in unfortunately trashed, but I've bought a built powerglide, and will be installing 4.10s with spool and axles over the next two weeks, so track results soon.

If the car pulls like this, I would say that I am a happy TSP customer. I can't imagine what it's going to be like on the gas.

How are the PRC LS3 style heads coming along btw?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Thats great to hear! I knew that cam would work well with your setup because of the cubes and weight of the car. With the rev limiter moved up some and that gear that car should lay out some great times at the track. That cam is a big one but in the right setup it works really well.

Our aftermarket LS3s are coming along, but we still have a couple months on them. As of right now we are really pushing to finish the aftermarket LS7s that we can fit on LS3 motors.

I will keep an eye out for the track results.

Drivability is actually great.

We ran into an issue in regards to the car torquing over and the fender wells cutting my Hoosiers. So we installed the anti-roll bar and coil overs over the weekend.

Today was the first time I've driven the car with the car hooking up and actually going straight...

All I can say is holy... ****.. I've the car is an absolute raped ape, and on a 2.73 rear end gear! We have the rev limiter set at 6500 for the moment (for break in purposes), but this has to honestly be the fastest car I have ever driven or ridden in. My TH350 in unfortunately trashed, but I've bought a built powerglide, and will be installing 4.10s with spool and axles over the next two weeks, so track results soon.

If the car pulls like this, I would say that I am a happy TSP customer. I can't imagine what it's going to be like on the gas.

How are the PRC LS3 style heads coming along btw?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

This thread makes me happy.... waiting to toss mine back together this weekend and check ptv.. then get my push rods sent out...... really hoping this will make my 408 come alive with the vic Jr and spray
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Thats great to hear! I knew that cam would work well with your setup because of the cubes and weight of the car. With the rev limiter moved up some and that gear that car should lay out some great times at the track. That cam is a big one but in the right setup it works really well.

Our aftermarket LS3s are coming along, but we still have a couple months on them. As of right now we are really pushing to finish the aftermarket LS7s that we can fit on LS3 motors.

I will keep an eye out for the track results.
It's my one regret about the 6.0L based motor is the 4.00 bore. I so wish I had a 4.125 bore or more and a short stroke for a nice high rpm motor and this cam.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Launching!

It's my one regret about the 6.0L based motor is the 4.00 bore. I so wish I had a 4.125 bore or more and a short stroke for a nice high rpm motor and this cam.
If you had a 4.125" bore why would you NOT make a 427??

Take a LS7, put in a hypothetical LS1/2/3 crank in it and what do you get? Less power.

The saying is always true; no replacement for displacement. I had to demonstrate that to a porsche the other day who claims to makes over 400rwhp.... and under 300rwtq....

The longer stroke will do everything your shorter one will do and sooner. Besides, when did big cammed 4" stroke motors not see great upper RPM power?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by briancb1

Take a LS7, put in a hypothetical LS1/2/3 crank in it and what do you get? Less power.

The saying is always true; no replacement for displacement. I had to demonstrate that to a porsche the other day who claims to makes over 400rwhp.... and under 300rwtq....

The longer stroke will do everything your shorter one will do and sooner. Besides, when did big cammed 4" stroke motors not see great upper RPM power?
Short as in compared to something like a 4.250 stroke etc etc...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by briancb1

Have you see a 388 ls7 in action? Tunink, good seein ya the other day. I'd go with the cam they speced and never look back. I have a 244/248 on a 112 with an l76 intake on a 418 in a full weight car with a 3600 converter, and it drives like a grandma car.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdiddyws6
Have you see a 388 ls7 in action? Tunink, good seein ya the other day. I'd go with the cam they speced and never look back. I have a 244/248 on a 112 with an l76 intake on a 418 in a full weight car with a 3600 converter, and it drives like a grandma car.
Yeah man I'm definitely going to play with this cam for a while.

I know you have a Ws6 but did we meet, excuse me if I don't remember I have a horrible memory? You coming over to Mobile with the other guys in a few weeks?

Yeah my car definitely drives very well, I was actually surprised with no surging and idles like a champ doesn't want to shut off or anything.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah man I'm definitely going to play with this cam for a while.

I know you have a Ws6 but did we meet, excuse me if I don't remember I have a horrible memory? You coming over to Mobile with the other guys in a few weeks?

Yeah my car definitely drives very well, I was actually surprised with no surging and idles like a champ doesn't want to shut off or anything.
Didn't we meet at f and d saturday? I won't be coming, duty calls up in the ham.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I can understand that. I would be real curious to see what an LS7 headed car would do with this cam. The only issue there is the lift gets pretty aggressive so finding a spring is sometimes a little harder.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdiddyws6
Didn't we meet at f and d saturday? I won't be coming, duty calls up in the ham.
Wasn't me bud, Saturday I was with my family all day. I have a white notch with red racing stripes on the roof and trunk lid.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

I can understand that. I would be real curious to see what an LS7 headed car would do with this cam. The only issue there is the lift gets pretty aggressive so finding a spring is sometimes a little harder.
Yeah I think you guys set me up with the .675 lift springs, would you recommend changing springs every 15,000-20,000 miles or less? Every racing season?

Quick Reply: 4xx motor/TSP Cam Concerns/Advice needed.