Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 / L76 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 / L76 Questions

Hello to all..My question is this....What is the difference between the two? I know the LS2 is in the corvette, GTO, Trail Blazers, SSRs and the L76 is in the G8 and there is a variant made by Holden, but what is the difference between the engines? Any specs out there on the engine / cam / heads? A buddy of mine is going to look at an engine advertised as a "6.0 LS3 engine". When he called on it the guy told him it was a "L76 crate motor" from GM. I was not aware they made it (L76) as a crate motor. So either he did a mis-print or he does not know what he has?? From what I know an LS3 is the 6.2L and the LS2 is the 6.0L. So where does the L76 fit in? And, is it a good engine for a swap? Does it have the VVT (active fuel managment, different cam or?) Can that be deleted? ALSO...If GM did offer the L76 as a crate motor, as they do the LS2, LS3, etc., does anyone know what the GMPP part number is? Any information is appreciated...THANKS AGAIN!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969 CON
Hello to all..My question is this....What is the difference between the two? I know the LS2 is in the corvette, GTO, Trail Blazers, SSRs and the L76 is in the G8 and there is a variant made by Holden, but what is the difference between the engines? Any specs out there on the engine / cam / heads? A buddy of mine is going to look at an engine advertised as a "6.0 LS3 engine". When he called on it the guy told him it was a "L76 crate motor" from GM. I was not aware they made it (L76) as a crate motor. So either he did a mis-print or he does not know what he has?? From what I know an LS3 is the 6.2L and the LS2 is the 6.0L. So where does the L76 fit in? And, is it a good engine for a swap? Does it have the VVT (active fuel managment, different cam or?) Can that be deleted? ALSO...If GM did offer the L76 as a crate motor, as they do the LS2, LS3, etc., does anyone know what the GMPP part number is? Any information is appreciated...THANKS AGAIN!
The L76 (& L98) are LS2 bottom ends with L92/LS3 heads and "LS3" intake.

L76 generally means it has DOD/AFM hardware. The L76 is originally a truck motor (with truck intake etc) with DOD/AFM. For Holden they were built with a car intake and throttle body. L98 is same engine without DOD/AFM hardware.

Cam is a DOD/AFM special.

If it is a crate motor it most likely came from Mexico via downunder and probably does not have a GMPP PN.

DOD/AFM hardware can be swapped out for regular non DOD parts.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: LS2 / L76 Questions