Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

hellfire or toolsteel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hellfire or toolsteel?

nitrous- n/a combo street/strip what are you guys running??????
Old 08-29-2010, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch g
nitrous- n/a combo street/strip what are you guys running??????
Most builds these days are running, gas nitrided steel top ring. We sell the NPR steel ring sets in 1.5mm or 1.2mm etc.

We've run plasma moly to 250hp nitrous, it worked just customer noticed more oil usage 5 bottles later, so i'm guessing rings lost some tension.

I wouldn't mind running hellfire rings more often however, Federal Mogul is the company who makes them, their radial size for metric ring is too thick, its wider then the ring grove Diamond or CP uses, thats bad.

Last edited by AES Racing; 08-30-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a Total seal, Steel top ring, gapped wide.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

I run Hellfires, they last a long time, they are easier on bores than a steel ring. Iron liners/blocks and iron rings are better than iron liners/block and steel rings IMO. Plasma moly rings are not tempered so they don't like alot of combustion temperature/pressure, however they are fine in 15:1 NA applications, as well as small N20 application street engines. Upside is they are even easier on the bores of the engine than a hardened ring or steel.

As mentioned, some of the Speed Pro sets have more radial wall thickness than what many 'off the shelf' Diamond pistons use. If you buy them open stock (individual) you can get what you need.

The problem is usually the second ring anyway, not the top (Hellfire). The second ring is just a traditional ring (cast iron) in many of the Hellfire sets. Most of the Pro Series seconds that are backcut work fine. Just have to know what you are buying. Always a good idea to have the pistons first, or if you are having them built, specify a certain ringland dimension be used.

FM/Speed Pro does lack in some 1.2mm offerings.