Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

broken Eagle crankshaft......pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have seen this a few times all of them blower cars, last one i seen was a k1 crank break in the same spot , the car had a magnuson 2300 blower on it
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8pwr
The problem isn't the crank . Look @ the main journal and the 2nd rod journals . IIRC the Lunati LS crank is a Chinese forging .
Lunati has different lines of cranks just like calies. Not all lunati LS cranks are chinese forged.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
ls3 416 dynoing at 480?

was it a gas mileage build or was something else wrong?
Me and a friend were dropping off a block to get assembled and while we were chating they showed us a couple cracked LS1 blocks (sleeves were cracked near the tops) and they showed us the broken Eagle crank too sitting there. It was out of a NATURALLY ASPIRATED 416ci.........supposedly the car ran fine for 6 months. Raced it all the time.

I'm just not understanding how an engine can run, much less rqace the damn thing around for 2 weeks like that.........wierd....

I may go by there tomorrow to chat about my new engine being built........I'll verify what this crank came out of and any other details.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by delphigto
Lunati has different lines of cranks just like calies. Not all lunati LS cranks are chinese forged.
I was told Callies are forged in Japan, finished here. Do you know if thats accurate????

Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
I was told Callies are forged in Japan, finished here. Do you know if thats accurate????

callies compstar is made in china and finished in the usa...but the callies dragonslayer is 100% usa

but they are both a very nice product
Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Regardless of rhyme or reason, that is some wicked carnage considering the car still drove like that!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

but doesnt the broken cranks or messed up cranks usually also depend on the builder too? as far as balancing and assembling it up when putting a block together?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have only seen 1 line of LS cranks from Lunati . I had one and it was a very nice crank . I don't see many people pinning a crank for a N/A build .
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

I ran Eagle cranks in my SBF for many years. The last one made 1280HP and no failures at all in 4 years of racing. Not bad for a $500 small block crankshaft.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Newsflash: the Chinese have a modern manufacturing capability. More at 11.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JBarron
Newsflash....the Chinese can make anything they want to just as good as any American company, actualy better.......its just that they skimp and cut corners and buy cheaper materials if they aren't watched like a Hawk. They are complete scumbag people when it comes to manufacturing things, I've been there, I know how they make ****. I've toured many factories there.

Every Eagle crank that comes from China IS NOT as good as the rest.......no way, no how. Some will be perfect, some will be OK, some will be complete garbage. Its a gamble, just like anything else made there. They have no interest in making everything with the same attention to detail and scrutany. They suck at consistency.

I had 4,000 units of a product made there that I sold here, and I had to supply them with the proper nylon pellets from Japan because we caught them using Chinese nylon pellets, which suck *** and fall apart and crack after they come out of the mold and cure. But they don't crack apart for a good month, by that time they are delivered to the states and you're fucked..........I had to actually go to that shithole city over there and stay there for 3 weeks to watch them every day make our batch of product and pour our bags of pellets into the machine to be melted down.

China.....give me a break.

Last edited by Whistler; 09-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JBarron
Newsflash... QC is lacking at chinese plants... More at 11
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nysbadmk8
Newsflash... QC is lacking at chinese plants... More at 11
i would say it's closer to nonexistent
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told by Callies that even on their less expensive line of Compstar products that they> (Callies)> supply the raw material for those products. So no, not all Chinese manufactured cranks is made the same. And just for the record, I've never had a Callies crank failure on anything...Blower motor, nitrous motor, whatever... And this is not a dig at Eagle. Just setting the record straight on some of the Callies comments.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSmonster
I was told by Callies that even on their less expensive line of Compstar products that they> (Callies)> supply the raw material for those products. So no, not all Chinese manufactured cranks is made the same. And just for the record, I've never had a Callies crank failure on anything...Blower motor, nitrous motor, whatever... And this is not a dig at Eagle. Just setting the record straight on some of the Callies comments.
If thats true, Callies is doing exactly what I did and what any smart company doing business in China does. They supply the material and I would be willing to bet the house they have their own people camped out at the plant checking everything.......they probably take a crankshaft off the line every 10, 20, 30 units or whatever and put it through the ringer...however you test a crank...to see if its up to par. Thats what I did. I took one off the line every 50 and gave it to a local shop to basically do w3hat they could to break it under all kinds of wierd tests.....
If they don't know when you'll pulling pieces off the line randomly they will make every one the same and perfectly. Thats why we see no broken Callies.......

If its not done that way, the Chinese people will screw you, then blame you for it somehow, someway........because they get paid up front, usually 80% of the order, sometimes they require 100%.

Last edited by Whistler; 09-12-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSmonster
I have seen broken Callies-just as i have with just about every other brand.It's not the cranks fault though-it's due to the design of the engine.
I use alot of Callies cranks and will continue to do so-they are great pieces.And yes,not all chinese forgings are the same-the compstar piece is leaps and bounds better than most.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed

I use alot of Callies cranks and will continue to do so-they are great pieces.And yes,not all chinese forgings are the same-the compstar piece is leaps and bounds better than most.
Heard way back that Compstar was made in Japan. Maybe thats just the rods, or maybe the steel comes from Japan and is "bent" in China forges. Certainly the finish is vastly different to the $500 items.

Just more likely to see scrap steel with all sorts of make ups getting into China supplied and forged steel.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsz288
Heard way back that Compstar was made in Japan.
I heard that last week. But they get finished here in the USA.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The Compstar cranks meet the same QC requirements as the Callies versions. I toured their plant in OH and was very impressed with the QC.

Actually here are my Compstar/Callies tour notes:
Cranks:
4340 Material
<.0001" runout on journals
<.0002" variation between journals
All cranks magnafluxed and nitrided
Stroke length variation measured (no more stroke than +.001", no less than -.003")
Dimensions checked on Adcole and Faro Arm
LS Cranks rough balanced to 1750 grams

Rods:
Forged 4340 material true per ANSI
<.0001" runout big end and small end
Matched to small end weights first
Then grouped by big end weights within 2 grams.
Rockwell range allowed 34-38 (36-37 Avg.)
1 rod of each set is pulled to verify center to center length and rod parallelism(bend/twist)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the band wagon, NOT!, Wasnt there a callies crank that broke on a aussie car thread not to long ago? It was a blower set up I belive. **** breaks get over it. Hell if nothin ever broke then some of us would be out of busniess lol!

Quick Reply: broken Eagle crankshaft......pics