Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Cam Swap Guide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Cam Swap Guide?

Hey LS1 tech dudes! It's been way too long but here I am back with an 07 Z06 and I'm itching for a cam right away.

About 3 years ago I did my own TFS heads/cam swap on my 02 Z28 project car and it came out GREAT. So I know my way around a LS1 but the LS7 is different but I just don't know how much.

Can you guys point me to an LS7 heads/cam swap guide or is the LS1 and LS7 close enough that I could follow the LS1 guide that's so popular?

I'm not sure so let me know and I thank you all!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Don't think I've ever seen a guide. I've done a bunch of them, the main difference on the C6 LS7 dry-sump compared to a C6 LS2/LS3 wet-sump engine is the oil pump interference. To pull the upper cam timing gear you will need the oil pump removed first.. To remove the oil pump you will need to loosen the oil pan.. To loosen the pan you need lift the engine and place some spacers under the motor mounts so that the pan can drop slightly (there is no pickup tube on the pump, it seals to the oil pan). Make sure oil is drained or it will leak out the front of the pan with oil pan/oil pump loose, found that out the hard way!

Also don't forget to reinstall the 8 intake valve lash caps before installing the rocker arms. The stock Ti valves dislike friction, have seen many customers forget those and those valves are expensive to replace.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

My friend is doing one right now and I'm doing mine in two weeks. So far no issues. He said it is messy and fluid goes every where. Gotta either drop the motor down a bit or drop the steering rack to pull the balancer bolt out.

Quick Reply: LS7 Cam Swap Guide?