Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Daily driven ls3 build. Does this combo sound economical and reliable

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driven ls3 build. Does this combo sound economical and reliable

So I decided my 346 is just to slow with only 40k miles on it. Time to upgrade. After driving a friends forged 347 with a t04z on it for a week I decided it's not the route for me. I prefer lazy torque. So I bit the bullet and bought myself a crate ls3.

Mods so far.
-balance and blueprint bottom end.
-CNC ported LS3 heads
-double row Manley chain
-morel hydraulic lifters
-yella terra 1.7 rollers
-SLP oil pump

Questions.
-cam, I'm thinking along the lines of a 228/234@.50. 115 LSA on a mild lobe from comp.
-1 3/4 headers or 1 7/8. Rest dual 3in
-valve springs? Was leaning at Manley nextek

Car has a t56 organic steel lining backed clutch. And 3.73 diff gears.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did you get the YT's for the L92's?

In my opinion, with that cam, you can use the new comp 918's (rated at .625 lift) with the tool steel retainer's and never have to worry about springs for a long time. The manley's are nice, but Ti ret = changing them out after 20-30K miles. 1-7/8 header's all the way. Im going with TSP's, cant beat the price.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the double roller chain. Use a single. 1 7/8 headers. For a single spring run the Pac 1218 or 1518 depending on lift. For a dual, just run the Patriot gold kit and run with it.
Also no need for the morel lifters. LS7 ones will work fine. There is no need in spending so much extra money if it is really not needed. Even trying to build a durable daily driver all the parts I listed will work for that.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

See my dilemma is, whenever i do something for myself i dont have a set list like when im doing a customers engine. Budget is not really an issue. But coming from owning many Holden V8's (304/308) the first thing i did to all of them was a double roller chain and lately with HSV in australia there have been reports of LS3 chain and oil pump failures. And as of lately ive seen engines as low as 10k miles come in for cam jobs and that stupid tensioner is already broken.

And as for the morels, well im just fussy. Ive read everywhere how quality of a lifter they are. Cant beat good news sometimes. Also have a set of ARP studs top to bottom. Genuine GM head gaskets.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using ARP main studs, then you should also budget for align hone on the block.

We have never had a problem with a Rollmaster, Cloyes, or our N motion single chain sets being any sort of problem for the LS engines such as breakage.

I would definitely get the LS2 tensioner to put on there.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the N-Motion single chain on my car. It's a nice piece. I also went with the the LS2 tensioner. I like the Morels as well. I wish i would have went with the link bar type and gotten rid of the plastic buckets. Pac springs all the way. I think you would get by with a single spring, if the cam doesn't have aggresive ramps. The LS3 valves are lite. I had to run double springs with my cam. What intake are you going to use? I always use GM head gaskets. I have never had one leak, or weep. My 416 is a great running motor around town. If we put a quite exhaust on it would fool alot of people. I went with the 13/4 X 17/8 Edelbrock headers. They fit good.

Quick Reply: Daily driven ls3 build. Does this combo sound economical and reliable