Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Square Port heads vs. Cathedral Port heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Ok... I but explain why with the smaller your going to make more torque...?

I want to know why? You are making statement but sounds like i ts based onwhat you have been told... I want you to break it down.... because a lot of the story is not being told.... And I will tell you this, the head is not a self operating function.... really a head is a independent variable...... a camshaft would be a controlled variable.....

So explain bro....?
I guess you could say that i could be making statements based on whats been writen by certain members (err, vendors), but i base my statements on whats been known for years and by my own experience. Its almost the same argument for intake manifolds, short runner vs long runner, and the interior volume can all contribute, to where peak hp and torque is gonna be made. One example would be fords 2v heads, flow like ****, and have small ports, BUT make terrific powerbands, and torque (and lots of it) everywhere. Take a look at the CFM numbers for a L92 at .400 lift and below and compare them to smaller heads, and you might notice that some smaller heads have higher flow at less lift than L92's. Big ports might put out the big numbers but they just will not have the velocity necessary to create torque at low speeds. What if you had an exhaust that was too free-flowing (just as an explanation)? You would also lose bottom end (which would be attributed to the loss of scavenging, which could be brought back by some type of crossover pipe), but thats just an example, and we all know that a properly setup exhaust will not lose much torque, just like a properly setup (and matched) head. Simply put, if you were sitting not doing much, and tried to breath which would be easier, to have your mouth wide open, or to normally breath with your nose or your mouth slightly open? Now if you were running which would be easier, with your mouth open, or with your nose? Some might say that those are SBC theories and do not apply to LS engines, but guess what, an LS engine is still an unperfect engine,and is not small magical engine that can run away from those RULES. Those theories apply to all engines, no matter the brand.

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning
Yeah, I was a little ahead of myself saying the cath. port heads are dead as you can still get them on the tiny truck motors, however gm is phasing out their cath. port stuff across the board. We know that the L92's won't fit the little in their current configuration so they'll have to make changes to accomodate that, but you do see the change coming right Pat?

I don't think the point of this article is to **** on cathedral port heads but talk about some of the positives of the square port, plus enlighten people to the poor, misinformation that's out there about the square port stuff.

The facts are that all the new stuff gm puts out makes more power and gets the same or better gas mileage as the older stuff. In terms of the truck motors the 4.8's and 6.2's both with VVT get within 1 mpg of each other while the 6.2's make 100 hp and 110 ft lbs more, 6.2's are in heavier more optioned vehicles, and the 6.2's can tow a bunch more.

Again this isn't about arguing which head is better or put one on a holy grail while crapping on the other, rather it's more about showing how technology is moving in a positive direction. We've all had great success with the cath. port stuff but the fact is now we're starting to chase technology once again.
Except you can not say that they make more power and torque due to just the heads. They also have better intakes, VVT, and the 6.2's make the advertised 402hp on premium gas not regular, and im not positive on this but im pretty sure the compression went up. Gas mileage went up due to AFM/DOD, and VVT. Torque output on a L92 is just not the same as a cathedral, but neither would hp(with L92's edging out all stock casting cathedral heads). Im not saying that L92's are garbage either, i have already seen what L92's can do, just look at the 5th gen camaro, 500whp after full boltons, and a cam. Last i heard H/C/I LS1's had a hard time hitting 475whp.

Did anyone notice that the NNBS 5.3's with 243 heads made less torque than the previous NBS with the smaller port 862/706 5.3's?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camz28arro
I'm just saying that the large runner is the cause for that midrange deficiency in the dyno link. They should have used the 245cc afr heads since they are a closer size to the size of the L92 heads. Then the cathedrials would have won but it's still against a stock casted square port.

I also did learn most I know about head design from ls1tech like you said. If there is nothing worth reading to learn I don't know what you're doing here if it's all false.
Not going to clutter the thread anymore, but if ls1tech is where you get your head porting info, i'd be scared to buy a head you ported....

I'm on lot's of forums, but I dont follow those who are great with marketing like a sheep.... Interesting how on yellowbullet, there seems to be alot of agreement with the article, especially by WELL KNOWN head porters....
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
I guess you could say that i could be making statements based on whats been writen by certain members (err, vendors), but i base my statements on whats been known for years and by my own experience. Its almost the same argument for intake manifolds, short runner vs long runner, and the interior volume can all contribute, to where peak hp and torque is gonna be made. One example would be fords 2v heads, flow like ****, and have small ports, BUT make terrific powerbands, and torque (and lots of it) everywhere. Take a look at the CFM numbers for a L92 at .400 lift and below and compare them to smaller heads, and you might notice that some smaller heads have higher flow at less lift than L92's. Big ports might put out the big numbers but they just will not have the velocity necessary to create torque at low speeds. What if you had an exhaust that was too free-flowing (just as an explanation)? You would also lose bottom end (which would be attributed to the loss of scavenging, which could be brought back by some type of crossover pipe), but thats just an example, and we all know that a properly setup exhaust will not lose much torque, just like a properly setup (and matched) head. Simply put, if you were sitting not doing much, and tried to breath which would be easier, to have your mouth wide open, or to normally breath with your nose or your mouth slightly open? Now if you were running which would be easier, with your mouth open, or with your nose? Some might say that those are SBC theories and do not apply to LS engines, but guess what, an LS engine is still an unperfect engine,and is not small magical engine that can run away from those RULES. Those theories apply to all engines, no matter the brand.

Except you can not say that they make more power and torque due to just the heads. They also have better intakes, VVT, and the 6.2's make the advertised 402hp on premium gas not regular, and im not positive on this but im pretty sure the compression went up. Gas mileage went up due to AFM/DOD, and VVT. Torque output on a L92 is just not the same as a cathedral, but neither would hp(with L92's edging out all stock casting cathedral heads). Im not saying that L92's are garbage either, i have already seen what L92's can do, just look at the 5th gen camaro, 500whp after full boltons, and a cam. Last i heard H/C/I LS1's had a hard time hitting 475whp.

Did anyone notice that the NNBS 5.3's with 243 heads made less torque than the previous NBS with the smaller port 862/706 5.3's?
OK, I was waiting for the physics but got something else......

Lets go to school for a sec....... I mixed the variables up earlier my bad
sue me, I have more time than money.... but any how...

An independent variable is that variable which is presumed to affect or determine a dependent variable. It can be changed as required, and its values do not represent a problem requiring explanation in an analysis, but are taken simply as given-wikipedia
A control variable is any factor that remains unchanged and strongly influences values;also a factor held consant to test the relative impact of an independent variable. More generally, the independent variable is the thing that someone actively changes;-wikipedia

Lets kill the it flows more here or there function for a sec, lets take away the port design, etc.... And what do we have? basically an air pump... A head is a controlled variable in scientific terms of testing.... When testing heads for performance, the characteristics of the heads are fixed in most test.. When dynoing or track, flow bench etc, most do not alter by changing the port design,porting, valves, etc they are as is in most testing.... Now the camshaft and its timing events, here is your independent variable or variable that can be manipulated and changed to impact outcome of data.... The camshaft and its timing events dictate when the air starts and stops, and also how much air is allowed in. Example take the L92 or Cathedral ports and have the wrong or not optimal timing events and yeilds will be less desirable or not be the most effcient.. But people believe that just because they have a certain head, its going to magically shine.....You ve been pounded with marketing of flow and velocity but that is only if camshaft timimng is selected properly.....

So in the level of importance, and we will use your logic or analogy of breathing, whats more important how wide or closed your mouth is or your heart's ability to pump and send a signal and blood to your lungs to have the capablitlity to contract and retract and pump air and O2 into your blood stream? The brain's only functions as long as blood is flowing through it to allow synthesization of the brain functions ie the ability to cognitively know or rationalize when to open your mouth or close..... or nose.....another example,ability to hold your breath, I have said in the past that the camshaft is the brain of the engine but for this analogy we will say it as the heart.... stop the heart, no blood flow to the brain, no bloodflow to other oragans right?.....

Mouth/nose=intake
lungs=heads
heart=camshaft

azz= exhaust.......just kidding here....

take away the heart, no lungs, no air,
take away the camshaft no head airflow into the cylinder period...

Again, The camshaft dictates when the air enters the cylinder and stops entering.... It also plays a major role in how much air enters the cylinder as well...... The camshaft tells the heads what to do, the heads do not tell the camshaft what to do......

You ever noticed why with most cathedral port heads you have to run larger duration cams to produce big power or equvical power of the L92's(with shorter intake durations)? All you are doing is holding and closing the valve later which in turns allows more time for the fresh air volume to fill the cylinder... It needs more time to fill the cylinder do to the smaller port....oops did I say that.....lol..... But I thought velocity was the king rule.....
Your comment on torque has more to do with:
a cylinder is only going to fill with so much fresh air per camshaft timing.... There is a certain point where you get deminishing returns on air flow truth be told.... The smaller port does not garuntee that you will make more torque, there is more to it....

On 6.0's
Most L92 combos 220-230 intake durations put down 450-490rwhp.
Now try that with most cathedral port heads, we know they need more duration right? 230-240's+.... I wonder why? I thought the higher velocity would make them make even more power right? Sounds like that the smaller port needs more time to fill the cylinder due to the port size.... Think about this, simple test, blow into a standard 16oz straw and blow into route 44 straw from sonic, and if we placed a sealable cap on top...which would fill the cup full of air faster and take less time if velocity was the same or +/- a few...? Does the motor or engine cycle know or even care about the port design really? No, it only cares about how much air or volume of air has entered the cylinder to compress,ignite,powerstroke, exhaust(excuvate the gases out)....

So when youi see a guy with a 6.0/L92 224/230 .581/.591 10.9-11.1 compression putting down 475rwhp and you see a guy with a cathedral port 225(TFS,AFR) putting down 490-500+ with a 236/242 .595/595 or 236+ intake durations, plus generally 11:3-11:5 compression, you do the math..... 12 more degrees of intake duration right? The valve is open longer right? So in a since the cylinder is requiring more air to go through the 4 stages of the engine cycle to produce the yeilds...... Which shifts the torque curve outward, which shifts the point that maxium cylinder pressure is reached and shifts out the point where the cam shaft is no longer able to excuvate the exhaust gases and the intake charge and exhaust gases mix aka peak power.....

So there is more to the story than just headflow or velocity, we have not even discussed intake,exhaust system,valvetrain,drivetrain, tunning, etc....

Bozz

To Badd SS: I agree bro, sheep, always follow the paper trail......

Last edited by bozzhawg; 10-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't get the original article to work.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
You keep ignoring facts because you couldn't make the L92 heads work. Same or better HP with a smaller cam - I'll take that all day long.
I think he way actually praising the heads.

Originally Posted by camz28arro
It would be much more interesting to see a comparison of the AFR 245cc heads vs the MAST 245cc heads since they have the same size intake runners and the flow close to each other too, flow is in favor of the cathedrials though

AFR 245cc
.200...165cfm.....130
.300...238cfm.....183
.400...293cfm.....226
.500...334cfm.....247
.600...356cfm.....257

MAST 245cc
lift.....Intake..... Exhaust
0.200.. 147..........110
Yeah, but what are you bolting them onto? What intake are you using? Headers, cam, etc... That's kind of what Shawn and others were saying. People like to look at heads alone. They say this head is the best it flows 350cfm at .XXX lift. What is it the best for?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Yeah, but what are you bolting them onto? What intake are you using? Headers, cam, etc... That's kind of what Shawn and others were saying. People like to look at heads alone. They say this head is the best it flows 350cfm at .XXX lift. What is it the best for?
I would want to keep everything as constant as possible. I know after 300-310cfm the composite manifolds are coming into play more than the heads so they would both get fast 102mm ported manifolds in each version. Since the cathedrials have more area under the curve to this point I would expect them to do better than the mast heads.

Also are the mid range numbers better with the AFR 225cc heads because they use a 2.08 intake valve to the L92 2.16

Al Noe- "The next thing you must consider is the valve diameter. A larger valve diameter will almost always produce higher 0.100- to 0.200-inch flow figures, which can be counterproductive to making power. Larger valves also tend to be more shrouded and have trouble with the all-important mid-lift airflow from 0.300- to 0.500-inch, but then these larger valves tend to shine at the highest lift points simply due to shear volume".

Last edited by camz28arro; 10-08-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

I think we're getting off track with all of the fuel economy stuff and some of that is my fault. I simply referenced because it's said that the square port stuff is very lazy down low and doesn't make good torque. We can simplify this and forget about the trucks for a moment to eliminate variables like vvt and dod.
The LS3 vettes make more hp and tq than the ls1 cars and get the same or better gas mileage. I could be wrong here but I believe the ls3 vette has the highest rated fuel economy of a vette to date. If not it's damn close.
Same thing with the LS3 camaro's they stomp out the ls1 camaros in performance and get the same or better mileage, and the 2010 camaro is significantly heavier than the ls1 f-body's. The LS3 camaro is only rated at 1 mpg city worse than the 6 cyl. camaro. Lowend toque can't be too bad.

A good test of lowend power would be to take a stock ls1 fbody put it in 6th gear at 1100 rpm and put the pedal to the floor. Next take a stock 2010 camaro and do the same thing, I guarantee you'll notice a big difference between the 2.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You keep ignoring facts because you couldn't make the L92 heads work. Same or better HP with a smaller cam - I'll take that all day long.

Whachoo talkin bout Willis? I think you quoted the wrong guy....

I am in the process of a build with L92 heads now I havent said anything negative about them at all Im a big fan of these heads
Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

A good test of lowend power would be to take a stock ls1 fbody put it in 6th gear at 1100 rpm and put the pedal to the floor. Next take a stock 2010 camaro and do the same thing, I guarantee you'll notice a big difference between the 2.
Yeah but you've still got too many variables there too. Like displacement (5.7 vs 6.2), advances in engine control over the last 10 years, possibly gearing...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam

Whachoo talkin bout Willis? I think you quoted the wrong guy....

I am in the process of a build with L92 heads now I havent said anything negative about them at all Im a big fan of these heads
Sorry Dude...It was someone else with cam...in their handle. He kept pissing in my thread about stuff he knew NOTHING about.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

this def wouldn't be a fair test. the best test would be a ls2 gto a4 car and a l76 g8. I'm pretty sure the gto would have a better sotp feel. like i said before,the square ports need to be on a larger engine.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

I can fit 3 fingers in either style of intake port.

Just sayin...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

OK, I was waiting for the physics but got something else......

Lets go to school for a sec....... I mixed the variables up earlier my bad
sue me, I have more time than money.... but any how...

Lets kill the it flows more here or there function for a sec, lets take away the port design, etc.... And what do we have? basically an air pump... A head is a controlled variable in scientific terms of testing.... When testing heads for performance, the characteristics of the heads are fixed in most test.. When dynoing or track, flow bench etc, most do not alter by changing the port design,porting, valves, etc they are as is in most testing.... Now the camshaft and its timing events, here is your independent variable or variable that can be manipulated and changed to impact outcome of data.... The camshaft and its timing events dictate when the air starts and stops, and also how much air is allowed in. Example take the L92 or Cathedral ports and have the wrong or not optimal timing events and yeilds will be less desirable or not be the most effcient.. But people believe that just because they have a certain head, its going to magically shine.....You ve been pounded with marketing of flow and velocity but that is only if camshaft timimng is selected properly.....

So in the level of importance, and we will use your logic or analogy of breathing, whats more important how wide or closed your mouth is or your heart's ability to pump and send a signal and blood to your lungs to have the capablitlity to contract and retract and pump air and O2 into your blood stream? The brain's only functions as long as blood is flowing through it to allow synthesization of the brain functions ie the ability to cognitively know or rationalize when to open your mouth or close..... or nose.....another example,ability to hold your breath, I have said in the past that the camshaft is the brain of the engine but for this analogy we will say it as the heart.... stop the heart, no blood flow to the brain, no bloodflow to other oragans right?.....

Mouth/nose=intake
lungs=heads
heart=camshaft

azz= exhaust.......just kidding here....

take away the heart, no lungs, no air,
take away the camshaft no head airflow into the cylinder period...

Again, The camshaft dictates when the air enters the cylinder and stops entering.... It also plays a major role in how much air enters the cylinder as well...... The camshaft tells the heads what to do, the heads do not tell the camshaft what to do......

You ever noticed why with most cathedral port heads you have to run larger duration cams to produce big power or equvical power of the L92's(with shorter intake durations)? All you are doing is holding and closing the valve later which in turns allows more time for the fresh air volume to fill the cylinder... It needs more time to fill the cylinder do to the smaller port....oops did I say that.....lol..... But I thought velocity was the king rule.....
Your comment on torque has more to do with:
a cylinder is only going to fill with so much fresh air per camshaft timing.... There is a certain point where you get deminishing returns on air flow truth be told.... The smaller port does not garuntee that you will make more torque, there is more to it....

On 6.0's
Most L92 combos 220-230 intake durations put down 450-490rwhp.
Now try that with most cathedral port heads, we know they need more duration right? 230-240's+.... I wonder why? I thought the higher velocity would make them make even more power right? Sounds like that the smaller port needs more time to fill the cylinder due to the port size.... Think about this, simple test, blow into a standard 16oz straw and blow into route 44 straw from sonic, and if we placed a sealable cap on top...which would fill the cup full of air faster and take less time if velocity was the same or +/- a few...? Does the motor or engine cycle know or even care about the port design really? No, it only cares about how much air or volume of air has entered the cylinder to compress,ignite,powerstroke, exhaust(excuvate the gases out)....

So when youi see a guy with a 6.0/L92 224/230 .581/.591 10.9-11.1 compression putting down 475rwhp and you see a guy with a cathedral port 225(TFS,AFR) putting down 490-500+ with a 236/242 .595/595 or 236+ intake durations, plus generally 11:3-11:5 compression, you do the math..... 12 more degrees of intake duration right? The valve is open longer right? So in a since the cylinder is requiring more air to go through the 4 stages of the engine cycle to produce the yeilds...... Which shifts the torque curve outward, which shifts the point that maxium cylinder pressure is reached and shifts out the point where the cam shaft is no longer able to excuvate the exhaust gases and the intake charge and exhaust gases mix aka peak power.....

So there is more to the story than just headflow or velocity, we have not even discussed intake,exhaust system,valvetrain,drivetrain, tunning, etc....

Bozz

To Badd SS: I agree bro, sheep, always follow the paper trail......
I cant say that your wrong on most of your post but, i wont agree on somethings. For one a head can be manipulated by changing its shape, size, valve size/angle, and ultimately flow, all can dictate a powerband. It can affect peak torque, peak hp, and the shape (like as if it was posted on a dyno), of powerband. Just like a cam(which probably has a bigger effect on torque than heads), which can affect peak torque, peak hp, and the shape of a powerband. Same for an intake manifold. Displacement will also affect those things. Everyone and there grandma know that big ports exchange power down low, for power up top, small ports exchange power up top for power down low. Lets say that you had 2 engines setup exactly the same, except for heads, i GUARANTEE you that the one with a head smaller ports would create more power down low, and less up top than if it had bigger ports. Always works like this, its all with flow, of course some heads will break these rules, but those are the ones that are works of art. Marketing? Blah. L92's flow stock what AFR's and trickflow's $2500 heads flow. I can't see anyone who has a 4"+ bore using those when a much cheaper head does the same (and in other cases outperforms). Ported, they make those expensive heads look like paperweights.
I think we're getting off track with all of the fuel economy stuff and some of that is my fault. I simply referenced because it's said that the square port stuff is very lazy down low and doesn't make good torque. We can simplify this and forget about the trucks for a moment to eliminate variables like vvt and dod.
The LS3 vettes make more hp and tq than the ls1 cars and get the same or better gas mileage. I could be wrong here but I believe the ls3 vette has the highest rated fuel economy of a vette to date. If not it's damn close.
Same thing with the LS3 camaro's they stomp out the ls1 camaros in performance and get the same or better mileage, and the 2010 camaro is significantly heavier than the ls1 f-body's. The LS3 camaro is only rated at 1 mpg city worse than the 6 cyl. camaro. Lowend toque can't be too bad.

Except what about gearing? Lots of factors to count and in reality we cant base the torque or mpg on JUST heads. Nowadays cars are also rated in a different way for mpg than they were 10 years. Can someone do this test, maybe someone should do some 6th gear pulls, and im serious.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant say that your wrong on most of your post but, i wont agree on somethings. For one a head can be manipulated by changing its shape, size, valve size/angle, and ultimately flow, all can dictate a powerband. It can affect peak torque, peak hp, and the shape (like as if it was posted on a dyno), of powerband. Just like a cam(which probably has a bigger effect on torque than heads), which can affect peak torque, peak hp, and the shape of a powerband. Same for an intake manifold. Displacement will also affect those things. Everyone and there grandma know that big ports exchange power down low, for power up top, small ports exchange power up top for power down low. Lets say that you had 2 engines setup exactly the same, except for heads, i GUARANTEE you that the one with a head smaller ports would create more power down low, and less up top than if it had bigger ports. Always works like this, its all with flow, of course some heads will break these rules, but those are the ones that are works of art. Marketing? Blah. L92's flow stock what AFR's and trickflow's $2500 heads flow. I can't see anyone who has a 4"+ bore using those when a much cheaper head does the same (and in other cases outperforms). Ported, they make those expensive heads look like paperweights.

Except what about gearing? Lots of factors to count and in reality we cant base the torque or mpg on JUST heads. Nowadays cars are also rated in a different way for mpg than they were 10 years. Can someone do this test, maybe someone should do some 6th gear pulls, and im serious.
You missed the point or used selective reading.... We are discusiing what takes place during a test.... and during a test whether it be at the track or dyno, most do not stop and port heads, change valves,angles at the track or during the dyno session... So for testing purposes the heads are fixed......
Read the highlighted area below.... I said during dyno or track testing..
Lets kill the it flows more here or there function for a sec, lets take away the port design, etc.... And what do we have? basically an air pump... A head is a controlled variable in scientific terms of testing.... When testing heads for performance, the characteristics of the heads are fixed in most test.. When dynoing or track, flow bench etc, most do not alter by changing the port design,porting, valves, etc they are as is in most testing.... Now the camshaft and its timing events, here is your independent variable or variable that can be manipulated and changed to impact outcome of data.... The camshaft and its timing events dictate when the air starts and stops, and also how much air is allowed in....

Last edited by bozzhawg; 10-08-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by thedak

Just sayin...
I can fist the WCCH Stage 3 heads...
Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

I'm going to refer back to the previously mentioned LS1GTO thread because it's the only place that I know that 20 plus L92 swaps on 6.0Ls have been archived in a single thread. Here are the top three results - the columns are petty self explanatory but they are rwhp, rwtq, trans, cam profile, and any additional porting done.

1) 486/435___M6____232/238 .595/.605 114____Heads|Intake
2) 485/439___M6____231/234 .643/.598 111____Intake
3) 479/430___M6____232/236 .600/.600 113

Here are the results of two AI ported 243s with 226cc intake runners -

1) 494/452__M6___236/238 .601/.605 113
2) 487/422__A4___232/236 .600/.600 113

http://v8muscle.net/Dyno%20&%20Modifications.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-494-rwhp.html

So, the ported 243s made similar or more power, with similar cams, but did it with ~35cc-40cc smaller intake runners. Not wanting to sound like a AI commercial, I'll throw Patrick's AFR results in as well -

510/441__A6___231/231 .617/.617 114

The highest rwtq of the lot through a stalled A6 with the smallest cam, and a port still ~30cc smaller than the best result L92 listed above. I know Patrick's heads were touched up but the highest L92 result listed above had his L92s ported.

The author of the linked article made his case using math that L92 heads generate higher airspeed than 243s. Well, that may be true but something is happening between the flowbench and their application on 6.0Ls because cathedral heads have no problem at all making the same power or more, with similar cams, and much smaller ports. I think the larger cathedral heads even compare favorably to L92s on 6.2Ls. As Shawn noted earlier in the thread, it's the bigger inch, 416+ CI motors where the L92s start to shine. While the article's author may take exception to the L92 port being characterized as "slow and lazy", I think there is a good bit of empirical evidence that suggests there are plenty of applications where a smaller cathedral port just works better.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
this def wouldn't be a fair test. the best test would be a ls2 gto a4 car and a l76 g8. I'm pretty sure the gto would have a better sotp feel. like i said before,the square ports need to be on a larger engine.
I don't think that's a great test either since the gto 4th gear is .696 with a rear of 3.46 vs. g8 6th gear of .67 and rear of 2.92, 5th on the g8 would be closer. Either way I take blame for using a poor example with the camaros, a better one would been an ls2 manual vette against and ls3 manual vette.

Regardless, I was just trying to provide a reference, clearly none of these are 100% ideal conditions for a scientific experiment. One of the big knocks on square port stuff is that they're crappy at low rpm so I just wanted to give a reference for comparison. If the square are a crappy down low as claimed then some sort of test like this should be clearcut. Either way this all makes for good discussion.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

the only issue with l92 heads is the ptv issues they have. If I mill them to keep my stock compression on my ls2 I kill my ptv and need to flycut. That sucks. If i new the mast ls3 casting or even the lsx-ls3 head would give me more ptv I would do it.

Also money being no object I would absolutly do the afr's over the l92's. The only thing about this post I still don't get despite the fact pat somewhat addressed it in regaurds to valve float. But anyways why not just get the small chamber 62 cc version of this head instead of milling. On a ls3 that would bump your compression up to 11:6:1 and you would have tons of ptv with an unmiled head vs a milled head. Otherwise a great write up and insperation to me when and if I ever get a
ls3 car. Congrats tony and pat.

Last edited by redsap05; 10-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

This thread has some awesome info. I have had some nice results w the 92's on a 6.2 build I did when the the block first became available in 08 before the mountain of real time data became available. With a (mild) 220/248 mid 600" cam, some cnc'n and big'r header, I was afraid that the smaller cubes (376) would choke it out. But I found the real obsticle was the intake and rpm ceiling. I needed to get over the 7k hump. I opted for a 4150 and lighten'd up the valvetrain and quickly realized these heads wanted more. Porting the intake help'd but it really woke up when adding plenum. 1/2" plate add'd 9hp 1" add'd 14hp. Unfortunately clearance issues capp'd it at 1/2". I also quickly learned that these heads didnt require alot of timing. 27* is where its happy.

Obviously, these heads would love a PI Intake. Who needs a hood anyway...

and they love spray. Nets 128hp from a 100 pill.

Just my experiences...
Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by thedak

Just sayin...
LOL That reminds me of a GF when I was younger
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I can fist the WCCH Stage 3 heads...
And that reminds me of a different GF. lol

Quick Reply: Square Port heads vs. Cathedral Port heads