Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What are the HP/TQ limits of a Gen 4 stock internals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are the HP/TQ limits of a Gen 4 stock internals?

I thinking of doing a LSx conversion on my 1995 Caprice 9C1 with a 6+ liter Gen 4 motor from a salvage yard. I looking to build a 550 to 650+HP/500+ TQ N/A streetable motor. Assuming I find a engine in relatively good shape where the most it needs a refreshing of the bearings, etc. Do I need to change to a all forged rotating assembly to safely get the numbers I want?

I am familiar with the Gen 2/LT1 stuff where the nodular iron crank, powdered metal connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons can only safely get you around 450HP. Above that most engine builders say spring for a forged rotating assembly and four bolt maincaps. Is that true for a Gen 4 where GM uses the same kind of materials for a Gen 4 rotating assembly???

PS I am also looking to stroke my Gen 4 with a 4" crank for 400+ ci.

Last edited by B'klyn9C1; 10-08-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-09-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B'klyn9C1
I thinking of doing a LSx conversion on my 1995 Caprice 9C1 with a 6+ liter Gen 4 motor from a salvage yard. I looking to build a 550 to 650+HP/500+ TQ N/A streetable motor. Assuming I find a engine in relatively good shape where the most it needs a refreshing of the bearings, etc. Do I need to change to a all forged rotating assembly to safely get the numbers I want?

I am familiar with the Gen 2/LT1 stuff where the nodular iron crank, powdered metal connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons can only safely get you around 450HP. Above that most engine builders say spring for a forged rotating assembly and four bolt maincaps. Is that true for a Gen 4 where GM uses the same kind of materials for a Gen 4 rotating assembly???

PS I am also looking to stroke my Gen 4 with a 4" crank for 400+ ci.
There is another very recent post somewhere here that puts the limits for stock rods at 950HP. Stock rods tends to point to stock crank as well. So at 550-650 the limitation is really stock cast pistons and the tune. Though unlikely to get to that without a cam that needs notched pistons so the vicious circle begins.

Quick Reply: What are the HP/TQ limits of a Gen 4 stock internals?