Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lq9 Head/Cam upgrade help????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq9 Head/Cam upgrade help????

Hey guys,
As you can probably tell i am new to the forum, and have been trying to read as many articles as i can. But i am new to upgrading the LS style engines, and i am LOST!! First of, a little about the truck, It is a 78 chevy, 6.0 vortec, turbo 350 tranny. that i am building to Play hard, and run a Hill-N-Hole Mud drag with. A Hill-n-hole race, is a 300' shallow mud pit, with 3 jumps in it that you can get pretty serious air off of.
What i have got is a 6.0 out of a about 2004 denalli truck, it is bone stock. I had a guy wire the factory harness to a stand alone, and he Deleted the EGR out, I am not running cats either. Just the 2 O2 sensors right after the manifolds. He also HP tunned it. and i am running a drive by cable throttle body.
So my question is, If this were your motor, and you had about a 3000$ budgett give or take a couple hundred. And you didnt care about drivability because it is never going to see the pavement, What would you do?
I am after Mid-High rpm power, This truck is going to be a drive on the Floor truck. So i dont care if i lose lower end. Because it has 6:17 gears in the axles, and i will run it in low range, which with this setup is a 2.73/1 ratio. I also have a cold fusion wet nitrous kit that i might put on it.. I think i have up to a 150hp shot nossle.

Another question is, (remember Im new to the fuel injection setups!) How much tuning, if any, will be involved after a head/cam swap? Because i wont be able to put this truck on a dyno and tune it like a car?

Heres some pics of the truck, it is almost done, just some odds and ends, and alot of painting!!

Pic of the cage before i started adding guessets, it now has guesset bars on all the main bars.

Any Help would be MUCH appriciated!!! Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For 3K and some serious fabrication work ( which doesnt look like this would scare you ) I'd buy a turbo or two and boost it then add a stall to work with your set up. That thing will be insane!!!

Hardest part will be the tune but its completely doable with a 3K budget if you buy used parts.

If not interested in boost then throw a cam/pushrods/valve springs and a tune at it. You wont need 3K to do that either
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Havent really thought about turbos??? Havent ever messed with them?? I was thinking about maybe doing l92 heads? Was looking hard at the trick flow top end kit, but 3400$ is pretty steep..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM

What do yall think about the livernois stage 3 heads?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Nobody?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM

Update on the build... Did a little painting over the weekend! and got the driveshafts done.. Runs pretty good but needs more power!

Talked to adam at livernoise about heads/cam... he suggested their stage 3 heads and 2R cam.. But i have read bad things about them on here.. what do yal think? I also explained to him how i wont be able to dyno tune it, and i ask if i mailed them my computer if they could get it "close" to where it should be. he said he could.. And he seemed very nice on the phone and asnwered all my questions.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM

well i ended up going with texas speed stage 2.5 ls6 heads, and a comp 233/239 duration, 605 lift, 112 lobe sep cam. should have it all put together next week,, but i am going to be waiting on my transmission for another week or so! Cant wait to run it, i will be sure to post a video. I was thinking bout going with a 3500 stall,, you think that would be ok?

Quick Reply: Lq9 Head/Cam upgrade help????