Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ai 416 – 700hp+ Dyno Pics & Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
Phil listed what a similar engine would cost to build. Your results may vary from mine because I supplied some parts from previous builds and used parts you may not need.

A similar custom carb through ProSystems is about $900. They have better options available now which I may switch to in the future. They now sell a billet setup called the EV1 which is worth 10-15hp over their custom Holley setups.

If you want a similar engine, I would call Ai for a quote. Different heads, valve train, or internals can greatly change the price.
That is a good point. We don't really have set engine packages, and typically everything from valve train to ring selection is done specifically for a customer's application. That isn't to say it won't work for others, but we aren't really looking to be an engine builder per se. We just do 1-3 of these builds per year for entertainment/data. If someone wants it duplicated and we don't have time, we often just refer them to a known good builder that we trust and can work with. At that point I just specify what components are to be used, provide the entire top-end, etc. and let them duplicate the build. Data/info sharing is one of the benefits for the shops who use our top-ends on their builds.

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Nice setup, but I am into more the real world high HP DDs, 13.1cr and e85 or 108 is not real world use to me, but please don't think I am knocking the setup, it's nasty

But with that said, I guess I am to assume that a PUMP GAS 12:1 can't make 700+? I ask because I am building a 425CI/L92

Thanks!

DM
I understand completely, not everyone has E85 readily available. At the same time, if it will run on his pump fuel then there is nothing stopping him from driving it whenever he pleases.

Regarding 700hp, yes, we can certainly do that on 93 octane in a drivable EFI configuration, with better low rpm power.

Originally Posted by jjtoma
Phil,

Are these your castings or a GM casting?

Tanks

Jim
Jim, our current programs are based on the GM 821 LS3 and GM 823 L92 castings. We'll release more of our aftermarket casting based heads this winter whenever we can find the time. However, whether cathedral or raised rectangular port, we often manage #'s with GM castings comparable to what is often done with the aftermarket castings.

Thanks guys!

-Phil
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like this engine found a new home:

Nothing like a little weight loss from good cross-breeding!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sexy little notch!! What are the e/t goals for that setup?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
That's a sexy little notch!! What are the e/t goals for that setup?

Quick@Fast!

Haha

I run mostly 8th mile so it would be great to run some low 6's.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Started the engine in the car for the first time last night!

The peak timing on E85 was 29/30 on those runs. I think I've got a bit more power in this engine when I can do some track tuning later this month.

We'll see what the engine wants with this 105 octane E85.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much power would be compromised with EFI?

Sick numbers. I watched the video, it sounds incredible.

Last edited by ponjohn; 02-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Since when is E85 so available in SOCAL, In San Diego i only know of one place that has it, pearson fuels or something that? It's near college or maybe even on college.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, great numbers by the way! awesome combo!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Since when is E85 so available in SOCAL, In San Diego i only know of one place that has it, pearson fuels or something that? It's near college or maybe even on college.
It's lucky I only live 5 miles away from that station huh? Haha

Pearson Fuels is on El Cajon Blvd. Nice thing is there is no winter blend here. Tested to 85% in Jan.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponjohn
How much power would be compromised with EFI?

Sick numbers. I watched the video, it sounds incredible.

I'm not sure on the EFI vs. Carb thing. I imagine there would be some gain, but it may be give and take (more in places/less in others).
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Buzz kill *

It went in an old Stang

I wish they'd run their own Crap

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/welcome-wagon/
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a new regulator today. Hope to finish it up next week.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Jim, I knew when I left them out that it'd likely be one of the first questions. The reason we often don't share the specs is that in our experience they are of little use aside from often fostering misconceptions. You cannot accurately judge a camshaft by the common .050/lift/lsa specs typically posted. It is similar to attempting to divine something useful about a cylinder head by reported flow #'s. Ultimately there are many grinds we could run that would make essentially the same #'s, but with different characteristics and compromises. For instance, a 23Xdeg LSK, or 24Xdeg XER grind could be used to make similar #'s. The cam that is ideal for Sean's 700hp 416 may not be ideal for another guy's 700hp 416 application. So, not to disregard your legit question or to be sarcastic, but "big enough to manage 700hp, small enough to drive well and peak below 7k with a large single plane and head, and mild enough to control to ~8k."
-Phil
And although what you have said here makes complete sense and I wish more people on tech or just in general would attest to this ideology BUT IMO you have to realize that no everyone on here has $20k to drop on an engine combo built by a top-notch shop so therefore, they do their own leg work and look for combo's that are similar to what they want and what meets their goals. It just may so happen that THIS combo is what someone who doesnt again have $20k to spend may need/want. So how could it not be beneficial for someone doing their own homework to want to know cam specs on a build that is similar or maybe exactly what they want?
You are right, you cant judge a cam by just the lift, lsa, etc but you can judge a whole engine package when there is information out there like you have provided that gives dyno runs, graphs, and the breakdown of all parts used (including the cam), so people can make choices that way. If cam #'s didnt mean ****, then you could delete about half the threads on this damn site for real.

Tireburnin, glad you are happy with ur engine combo, AI knows how to move some serious air thru an engine, now lets see some 300shot/7k shift runs!

Quick Reply: Ai 416 – 700hp+ Dyno Pics & Video