Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Alot of motor questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alot of motor questions.

I am going to be building a ls2 motor and building it to a 402 with all forged bottem end. That is the easy part. The hard part is trying to figure out what else to throw on the motor to make it rev high and make the power I need it to. The motor will be used in a drift car if that matters.
I am looking for it to do the fallowing things:

Rev to about 7500rpm all day long
Make 500 whp
Make 500 TQ
Make torque early in the powerband and last threw the powerband
Have a very responsive throttle
Be somewhat cost effective >6k total for motor and other main motor parts
Be very very realible- mostly worried about spinning a bearing

Everyone says oh thats easy but its the little things I can't seem to figure out. Like:
Is the fast manifold worth the 1000 or should I just get a ls6 manifold?
How much hp is the ls6 intake manifold good for?
what size injectors are needed?
How much of a difference does the throttle body size make?
How high compression can I go with 100octane?e85?
Are ls2 heads good enough for what I need? bore them out?
Whats the best way to control such a setup? stock ecm reprogrammed?

So far my shopping list is:
ls2 block with stock heads- I am getting this for a good price in good shape.
Callies comp star crank
Callies comp star rods
wiseco pistons
ls6 ported oil pump

I am also trying to figure out if I should get a good t-56, a 4 speed t-101 or g force trans if anyone has experience with either 4 speed transmissions please chime in.

Thank you gentlemen for answering any questions you can.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want 7500 and to actually make power there you need a super victor! The fast will go there but you won't be making power to that point but rather be on the back side of the power peak unless you have a truly epic cam. The LS6 will work but will probably peak at 6500 or so oe less with the stuff you are talking about although with great valvesprings and cam you can turn it 7500 without blowing it up.

You also need to make sure your oiling system is good and maybe run something like an accusump to cover for you if you run the oil out from under the pickup ever. We have done several drift engines but the guys actually doing it are who need to tell you what to do. depends on the car as to what pan you will use but some are not that great for drifting and you will have to run an accusump.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Erik and HKE built my 402 which has almost these same requirements. Went with an ls3 topend including factory injectors (heads/intake ported) and a cam from Ed Curtis @ flowtech. Baffled oilpan and a cooler is all I went with, as I dont really need an accusump in my DD. Got a new melling billet pump this time around. I spent as much on my valvetrain as on the heads/intake before labor, thats as much for the performance as for the insurance. I dont know if the topend your considering will be up to par with what you're looking for unless you go with a pretty gnarly cam (which could hinder your low end). In az we have **** gas so I wanted to stay around 11.1 comp. As far as I know this power range is when the different TB size/intake starts to really make a difference, so I went with a 100mm maf, going to a 96mm tb/intake (everything will be portmatched)

Im keeping my RPM built t56 and ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel

I think after labor for the swap and ALL of the little miscellaneous parts I decided to get (new 1-7/8 headers, k member) Ill be looking at like 8-9k, and thats before factoring in the old sold parts (my old AFR/fast setup paid for half of the gem I got from Erik)

Last edited by Irish350; 11-01-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks for input guys. I am not saying i want to make more and more power up top just need ot be able to rev high. I want to start the torque nice and low and last and have the hp carry the top end ya know?

anyone else?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 AM
11 Second Club

The ls6 intake won't work on ls2 heads i don't think. You can get the l76/ls2 intake.

I have a forged 404, ported l92s, 240/250ish cam, and fast 102/102 intake. I think my build would be pretty close to what you'd want. Like others said, victor jr if you really wanna make power to 7500, but the fast 102 would probably dominate in lower end torque and up to 6600-7000 it would start to cross over to victors territory.

To be honest, copy something like my setup, it should be pretty dang good for what you want.

Quick Reply: Alot of motor questions.