Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is this normal oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal oil consumption?

I have a LS7 based 427 (Eagle crank, forged pistions, etc.) in my C5 and it is using some oil. In the beginning it was using lots of oil (400 miles/qt) and that turned out to be 2 bad valve stem seals.

Now that it has over 5k miles on it and should be fully broken in I am getting about 2200 miles/qt. Is this about normal or is it high for an aftermarket built engine?

I don't know what the clearances were set to as I never got a build sheet from SDPC.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles, by GM standards it's considered normal.
IMO, contact SDPC and ask them what they consider normal oil consumption.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion. I also forgot to check how much is in my catch cans.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

was your car smoking a lot when you would turn it on? and everytime you steped on it it would smoke and then smoke a lil after that? and when you step on it your dipstick pops up a little .. ? those are my cars synthoms and idk if thats the valve stem seals
Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those symtoms are similar to what I experienced when I had valve stem problems except for the dipstick. In my case it turned out that the installed height of the valve springs was not set properly. This caused 2 of the valve spring retainers to crush 2 of the valve stem seals. The top half of those 2 valve stem seals was completly separated from the bottom part.

Originally Posted by fbody junkie
was your car smoking a lot when you would turn it on? and everytime you steped on it it would smoke and then smoke a lil after that? and when you step on it your dipstick pops up a little .. ? those are my cars synthoms and idk if thats the valve stem seals