Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 block..block prep for stock sized forged pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 block..block prep for stock sized forged pistons?

What kind of block prep would be needed to get stock(4.000") sized forged dished pistons in it? Im looking to pump some serious boost through this thing next year so I want to put some rods/pistons in this thing. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snyper
What kind of block prep would be needed to get stock(4.000") sized forged dished pistons in it? Im looking to pump some serious boost through this thing next year so I want to put some rods/pistons in this thing. Any suggestions?
Depending on the age and or miles on the block it may need to be honed, be sure to check the cylinders for any signs of vertical scratches from foreign debis making their way into the cylinders. I would also check the roundness of each cylinder as well. While your at it check the deck for straightness. Pull all the bearings and you might as well replace them with a new set of Clevite H series.

***Use Plastigauge when you assemble the rotating assembly and check your tolerances!!!

Your going to want to determine what boost levels and power you want to achieve. You will also need to know how many cc's your heads are so you can order the correct dished piston (-XXcc) to achieve your desired compression ratio. Most shoot for anywhere between 8.5-9.5 for a boost friendly compression ratio.

I personally side with Wiseco Pistons. They come with coated skirts and their off the shelf units are an excellent choice for most standard builds. This is just my preference. Diamond, JE and Mahle are also good choices but everyone has their favorites.

If your looking for a good set of rods that will not break the bank and still perform well check out the Callies Compstar Rods. There is a plethora of threads on here where these rods have stood up to FI builds without an issues at all. You can also check out the Manley Pro Series I Beams, there a little pricier than the Callies but another great contender.

If I was going to go this far into the motor I would have the rotating assembly balanced. This will insure longevity as well as peak performance gains.

Hope some of this helps.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Boost; 11-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

I was told by my machine shop that the block requires a BORE and hone for 4.005" pistons...what do you think?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of the size, I'd recommend waiting until piston are in hand and then boring and/or honing to the piston size rather than the number in the catalog.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
The following users liked this post:
ahouston2973 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Regardless of the size, I'd recommend waiting until piston are in hand and then boring and/or honing to the piston size rather than the number in the catalog.
^^^This. He is absolutely correct. Get your pistons first!

Quick Reply: LS2 block..block prep for stock sized forged pistons?