Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Compatable with LS1 Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 Compatable with LS1 Parts?

Hey,

I am new to the forum and mostly new to LSx engines. I am wanting to know if LS1 engine parts (covers, headers, sensors, etc) are compatable with LS2 motors? The situation is I am looking at buying a car that has an LS1 but had some tuning issues and apparently was running lean. Likely burned some valves. Possible lower end damage. I was thinking of just buying an LS2 longblock instead of redoing this LS1 and was wondering if it was possible. I realize the wiring harness will have to be reworked (I will be using the LS1 PCM) but other than that what do I need to know? My goal is around 450whp. Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, thats y so many ppl get pulled towards ls motors...just about every ls1,2,3,6,7, 5.3,4.8s have alot of interchangeable parts.

there are some little changes like the ls2 3 and 7 have a little bit different heads and intake and some sensors but you can convert any to the kind you want really. The only big difference is CI of the motor and some of the newer block have the sensors moved to different spots but there all pretty much the same

SDPC sells all the ls1 to ls2 conversions and im sure there are lots that i dont know of

Good luck and have fun, keep searching theres TONS of info on this site and ppl are always happy to help!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam sensor will be moved to the front timing cover, you will need the conversion harness for the cam sensor no big deal, and the knock sensor will need to be moved the side of the block near the motor mounts, The oil sending unit is now mounted directly to the valley cover instead to the block. Make shore if you get a LS2 long block that the valley cover and timing cover come with it , they are specific to the new style block and will not work with the LS1 blocks and also the lifter trays that hold the lifters in place are also specific to the LS2 blocks On the LS2 block that i have, there no hole drilled for the alternator support bracket, I just left it off mine I have a LS2 in my TA .