Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

415 CID Shortblock. What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
I don't understand... If this is a ground up build then why not just get an 8.5:1 piston!? An Alky/Water injection is great, but I've known a few back in my turbo days that ran their wiper fluid reservoir ( that's what most use as their container for the Alky/Water mix ) dry and POPPED a piston. I say do it right from the get and get the RIGHT piston dish. Plus Less CR = MORE BOOOOOST!!!

DM
A TVS 1900 cant feed a 415 at 8.5:1, high compression motors run great in trucks with some boost. He is right one track ocmpression wise with that blower. If he had a blower capable of flowing more CFM then dropping the CR would be a benefit. A guy with a TBSS is running 10.5 with over 20#s of boost on an overdriven 2300 with no problem.

Lower compression allows you to run a lot more timing but in my experience running more boost with less timing seems to make more power and safer.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Exactly. I'm looking for the safest way to build horsepower. The people over at CNC and I had a long drawn out talk about building maximum horsepower safely on my budget. They're great to work with by the way and both Jason and Chris are awesome. I told them exactly what I had and we came up with this. (plus they're sending studs and nuts and I'm ordering LS9 gaskets for the L92 heads. They originally set me up at 9:0:1 compression but I got with the LS guys here on the forum and they recommended that with big cubes and not too much boost I'd be good to run 10:5:1 compression. If There was more money I'd convert to a TVS 2300 and drop the compression but then I think I'd press well over 800 horsepower which would be more than the poor little LS3 block can hold safely. Weight is a factor too because the Silvy's are a little front heavy anyways and more weight up front from an Iron Block serves negative gains on top of the added poundage of the Supercharger so far as driver friendliness goes. However I'd like this motor to rap up like a race car as soon as you touch the gas and so far as I understand the Eagle cranks are strong but heavy. And the heavier the crank the less horsepower is produced due to the greater internal rotating mass and the slower it revs meaning torque is down just as well. So, is there another Crank/Rod set up out there that is strong enough to support 800+ horsepower but is much lighter as well?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Ahhhh got ya, thanks for clearing that up; I'm not well versed in blowers... except for the blond or red head kind

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

....except for the blond or red head kind
Hehehehehehe Brunette fan here BUT! Like em all Anyhow.... Crank recommendations?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
Hehehehehehe Brunette fan here BUT! Like em all Anyhow.... Crank recommendations?
Mmmmm.... Cherry pie

As for cranks, the most popular are the Callie Dragonslayer; I went with a Magnum, but I think the crank is something you should not cheap on.

There are also:
Cola cranks
Sonny Bryant cranks
Bill Miller
Lunati cranks.

I would stay away from Eagle

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Mmmmm.... Cherry pie
LMFAO! Hehe, ok I've heard good things about Callies but will they hold the power, and what's the lightest crank I could get since their website doesn't specify weights?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

LMFAO! Hehe, ok I've heard good things about Callies but will they hold the power, and what's the lightest crank I could get since their website doesn't specify weights?
The one I have, the Magnum XL is their light weight crank (35-lbs), IIRC it is their TOP bad boy, but most run the Dragonslayer for the cost vs strength.

Dragonslayer: $1200+
Magnum: $2100+
Magnum XL: $2900+

Cola, Bryant, and the others, are up there in price as well since they do a lot of custom stuff.

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ah.... I see. Just gave them a call and discussed what I've got..... And they're awesome if I was N/A, but with being Supercharged, they don't have enough meet. They are hooked up with CNC-Motorsports and we all discussed that the Eagle is best for their kind of meat on the cranks. Besides... I oopsed and waited too late because they've already balanced the rods to the crank and knocked off a few pounds. All is well though and should be very reliable. CNC has done lots of these and they haven't yet had a failed Eagle Crank. Thanks for the info though and next N/A engine I build will most likely have Callies components.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Ah.... I see. Just gave them a call and discussed what I've got..... And they're awesome if I was N/A, but with being Supercharged, they don't have enough meet. They are hooked up with CNC-Motorsports and we all discussed that the Eagle is best for their kind of meat on the cranks. Besides... I oopsed and waited too late because they've already balanced the rods to the crank and knocked off a few pounds. All is well though and should be very reliable. CNC has done lots of these and they haven't yet had a failed Eagle Crank. Thanks for the info though and next N/A engine I build will most likely have Callies components.
Well what ever you do Bro, good luck with your build!

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man! Any more advice you or anyone else have I'd appreciate, so far as safety and reliability goes. BTW I'm sitting here staring at a Melling standard pressure, High volume pump that's been slightly used. Anything I should check or do to it? And with this pump what can I expect so far as oil pressure?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who told you that Callies would be great with N/A but that with you being supercharged they don't have enough meat? They also told you that Eagle is best "for their kind of meat on the cranks" ? I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds dirty.

There is no aspect of Eagle that is superior to Callies.

Last edited by oneBADDz; 01-10-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man! Any more advice you or anyone else have I'd appreciate, so far as safety and reliability goes. BTW I'm sitting here staring at a Melling standard pressure, High volume pump that's been slightly used. Anything I should check or do to it? And with this pump what can I expect so far as oil pressure?
Oil pressure is mostly going to be a function of rotating assembly tolerances, not pump choice. Final pressure isn't really an important number anyways.

If it was in an engine that went south, take off the cover and clean it out. Use a little assembly grease on the rotors and put it back together.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you called somebody and they told you the Callies wouldn't handle the power, but Eagle would, they're just trying to sell what they have in stock or make money on. For the premium quality crank, I'd recommend Callies over Eagle any day!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by matt@texas-speed
if you called somebody and they told you the callies wouldn't handle the power, but eagle would, they're just trying to sell what they have in stock or make money on. For the premium quality crank, i'd recommend callies over eagle any day!

^^^^ T H I S ^^^^

Don't do Eagle!

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys.... I'm listening. What's the matter with Eagle....? I thought they were good.... Thanks for the advice of the pump. There is a few scratches on the impeller and what not but not enough to worry about I think.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Who told you that Callies would be great with N/A but that with you being supercharged they don't have enough meat? They also told you that Eagle is best "for their kind of meat on the cranks" ? I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds dirty.

There is no aspect of Eagle that is superior to Callies.
Meat so far as how the crank is forged goes. CNC has both in stock but the package originally comes with Eagle....
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

So after all the research I did I came to this conclusion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Eagle components when balanced correctly. They'll hold the power too. However its lucky because Eagle's stuff is Chinese. What the heck happened? I thought Eagle had always been American.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

That word shouldn't say lucky. It should say crappy. I blame my Blackberry.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
It cannot change static CR, but will definitely have an effect on the dynamic CR. More overlap will lessen dynamic, sometimes to the effect of 5 points difference. I've heard of 13.0:1 static engines having as low as an 8.0:1 dynamic ratio by virtue of the overlap bleeding off compression...
Exactly.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

That word shouldn't say lucky. It should say crappy. I blame my Blackberry.
Poor save, but as long as you see the light

DM

Quick Reply: 415 CID Shortblock. What do you guys think?