Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Can i reuse my morel lifters after i had a bearing go out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can i reuse my morel lifters after i had a bearing go out?

I found some copper particles in my oil and I pulled the engine and sure enoungh the bolt that holds the pick up tube came loose and I actully found it in the bottom of the pan luckly I noticed the oil pressure drop and pulled the engine but it was too late I found very fine copper looking material I am sure is the bearings anyway I am refreshing the engine and was wondering

Can I reuse my motel lifters after my bearings went out or should I get new ones? They are only 2 years old with less than 4 k in them.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Take them apart and clean out the old oil and grit. I would not expect scratches on them from bearing material. I would make sure the lifter bores and oil passages are spotless though. Oil pumps always get the bearing bits, shards, etc. inside them.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can bet there is metal in the lifters as well, they are rebuildable, however I took a good look at mine, and didnt see a way to get the link bar pins out,, I would say they probably wouldnt need rebuilding, just a really good dis-assembly and cleaning, but you gotta get them apart first. Or send them out.

Quick Reply: Can i reuse my morel lifters after i had a bearing go out?